Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,996 of 2,394
Impedance Preference:

So I've been listening to my Aegis for 3 days now and trying different tubes and playing with the impedence switch. Seems on most things I listen to, I'm preferring the low impedance setting with my Atrium Opens. With the Atrium being a high impedance headphone, I would have assumed I would be preferring the high impedance setting. To me, high impedance sounds a bit "untamed" and comes across a bit harsh to my ears where as low impedance is more smooth. Not sure if this is because my tubes need more break in, I don't have the right combo of tubes for my tastes, my ears are too sensitive, or just my personal preference.

Just curious if others prefer low or high impedance using ZMF cans (and particularly the Atrium).

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #1,998 of 2,394
I found the EL38 to be much different than the EL37 (I still have to put in the trough getter pair, so far I’ve only tried the double halo one). I personally much prefer the EL37 which sound much more refined and delicate in their presentation. The EL38 was a bit too harsh for me; dynamic for sure, perhaps better fitting for more hard hitting genres? But the difference between them was quite notable and not as small as I’d thought.

At one point I’ll try the trough getter pair as well (also to rule out that the first el38 pair I tried wasn’t low quality for some reason) and report!
I still find I prefer the EL37 with my setup as well, the EL38 feel slightly more dynamic and solid state-like, where certain tracks would be come across as more harsh than the EL37. (Mostly using 8xx, 6xx, and tungsten) The EL37 just comes across very smooth, I love it, but it could be too much for an already dark headphone maybe?

I believe I also have the double halo getter version of the EL38.

Impedance Preference:

So I've been listening to my Aegis for 3 days now and trying different tubes and playing with the impedence switch. Seems on most things I listen to, I'm preferring the low impedance setting with my Atrium Opens. With the Atrium being a high impedance headphone, I would have assumed I would be preferring the high impedance setting. To me, high impedance sounds a bit "untamed" and comes across a bit harsh to my ears where as low impedance is more smooth. Not sure if this is because my tubes need more break in, I don't have the right combo of tubes for my tastes, my ears are too sensitive, or just my personal preference.

Just curious if others prefer low or high impedance using ZMF cans (and particularly the Atrium).

On my 8xx the high impedance adds more bass (obviously based off the impedance curve) and generally has more authority and life but doesn't come across untamed. I forgot my amp was on low impedance and was wondering why is sounded flatter, took me a few days to realize! Although, as people have said, use whichever impedance works for you!

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #1,999 of 2,394
I still find I prefer the EL37 with my setup as well, the EL38 feel slightly more dynamic and solid state-like, where certain tracks would be come across as more harsh than the EL37. (Mostly using 8xx, 6xx, and tungsten) The EL37 just comes across very smooth, I love it, but it could be too much for an already dark headphone maybe?

I believe I also have the double halo getter version of the EL38.

On my 8xx the high impedance adds more bass (obviously based off the impedance curve) and generally has more authority and life but doesn't come across untamed. I forgot my amp was on low impedance and was wondering why is sounded flatter, took me a few days to realize! Although, as people have said, use whichever impedance works for you!
Well just spent more time comparing and adjusting the volume before switching to not shock my ears. Also, seems my RCA 6V6 is what sounds a tad harsh on high Imp. Been listening to my Gold Lion KT77s and sounds good on high. More energy. But I also like low Imp as well. More relaxed to me. Gotta up the volume though. At this point, I’ll keep playing around but seems to depend on what I’m listening to on which I prefer. Some recordings need taming to my ear.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,000 of 2,394
Impedance Preference:

I don't have an Aegis... but I generally prefer the Atrium's with lower impedance and Verite's with higher impedance. I feel like the Atrium drivers sound tighter and more cohesive with lower impedance. Whereas the VC's can be just a little "too tight" and benefit from some more expansion/"breathing room" at a higher impedance.

Amp/headphone driver synergy is fascinating... it would be fun if there was an "impedance dial" to make granular changes in real-time.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #2,001 of 2,394
I don't have an Aegis... but I generally prefer the Atrium's with lower impedance and Verite's with higher impedance. I feel like the Atrium drivers sound tighter and more cohesive with lower impedance. Whereas the VC's can be just a little "too tight" and benefit from some more expansion/"breathing room" at a higher impedance.

Amp/headphone driver synergy is fascinating... it would be fun if there was an "impedance dial" to make granular changes in real-time.

I can see that. While I'm enjoying the Atrium these days mostly with higher impedance output, one of the best synergies I've previously had with it was with my former CFA3 amp - something about the lush decay of these headphones coupled with a well-controled and tightly damped amping has its charm.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #2,002 of 2,394
I always favor Low Impedance tap in Transformer coupled amps. The higher tap brings the mid forward and creating more warm & bass bloom - very romantic sound...

I mostly listened to metal & classical music though, and I prefer the tightly controlled & airy sound of the low impedance tap. But if you have a high impedance can, swapping between two tap is almost like changing headphone - low imp = laid back, airy; high imp = intimate, warm. I really like the Hd800 on high impedance tap since it's so drastically different compared to solid state/low impedance tap.

Also to my ears the higher impedance tap is perceivably louder, so if I just switch to high imp tap without lowering the volume a bit, I would get some ear fatigue.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #2,003 of 2,394
I’m planning on building one of these amps. I just finished reading through the entire thread and I think, for me, the most challenging aspects will probably be sourcing the parts and choosing which tubes to use. I’ve got an electronics background and have built a solid state power and pre amp kit but I live in Australia so I’m interested in hearing from anyone else in Australia who has already built this kit and can let me know where they purchased the parts. I own several headphones but I hope my ZMF VCs will pair well with the Aegis. I have never had a tube amp before and don’t want to spend a ton on the tubes to start with and I might buy new ones initially to be safe. I’m thinking of Golden Lion KT88s, Millard GZ34, and Tung-Sol 6SL7 based on comments I’ve read on this thread. I mainly listen to pop and rock music and am a bit of a bass head - any thoughts on this tube combination would be appreciated as well.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #2,004 of 2,394
I’m planning on building one of these amps. I just finished reading through the entire thread and I think, for me, the most challenging aspects will probably be sourcing the parts and choosing which tubes to use. I’ve got an electronics background and have built a solid state power and pre amp kit but I live in Australia so I’m interested in hearing from anyone else in Australia who has already built this kit and can let me know where they purchased the parts. I own several headphones but I hope my ZMF VCs will pair well with the Aegis. I have never had a tube amp before and don’t want to spend a ton on the tubes to start with and I might buy new ones initially to be safe. I’m thinking of Golden Lion KT88s, Millard GZ34, and Tung-Sol 6SL7 based on comments I’ve read on this thread. I mainly listen to pop and rock music and am a bit of a bass head - any thoughts on this tube combination would be appreciated as well.
I can't speak about sourcing in Australia but the tube selection is pretty easy. I think there is an Aegis in your future.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #2,006 of 2,394
Yes, hopefully it will be a lot of fun. I haven’t read through the diy build notes yet, so a dumb question though, for the tubes I listed above, how many of each do I need? Is it 2 each of the input and power tubes and one of the rectifier tubes?
Two kt88, two 6sl7, and one gz34. Yep, you nailed it, missed the last line.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #2,007 of 2,394
Yes, hopefully it will be a lot of fun. I haven’t read through the diy build notes yet, so a dumb question though, for the tubes I listed above, how many of each do I need? Is it 2 each of the input and power tubes and one

Two kt88, two 6sl7, and one gz34. Yep, you nailed it, missed the last line.
I just finished my build this week and still burning in and evaluating but as for new production, I have so far found the Gold Lion KT77 smoother and more musical than the KT88. At some point I’d like to check out the KT66.

But if you haven’t ordered parts right you have PLENTY of time to obsess over what tubes to buy. 😉

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2,008 of 2,394
There are tons of suggestions of fun tubes to try in the thread. If I were given a choice between new production or NOS for similar price i'd probably gravitate towards NOS based on past experiences and preferences.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,010 of 2,394
You don't need expensive tubes at all.

I bought a pair of Tube Amp Doctors Red Base EL34s and their GZ34 rectifier. I'm using two Tung-Sol 6SL7s but the JJ 6SL7s sound great as well. Also, if going by how well this amp pairs with the Atrium Open I have feeling you won't be disappointed.

Edit: I own a pair of Mullard EL34s, Gold Lion KT77s, RCA 5692s, ECC35s, Tung-Sol 6su7gy. The cheap tubes above (except for the TS 6sl7s) are my daily drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back