Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,981 of 2,397
I've been thinking about building this amp. Looking at the Mouser list of parts, the part "450CXW220MEFR18X50" is out of stock. Would the part "450LXW220MEFR18X50" be a suitable replacement? The major differences I can see are a longer life and a PC pin termination instead of Radial, but I'm not familiar with what that means.

You can use either one, if the 12,000 hour version is available, go with that. Just FYI, a commercial version of this amplifier will be available within the next few months if you are on the fence about it. Should be some impressions on it from CanJam after this weekend.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,982 of 2,397
Really curious to hear what the commercial version sounds like! Hopefully it won't sound so different that I feel the need to get one 😅

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,983 of 2,397
Really curious to hear what the commercial version sounds like! Hopefully it won't sound so different that I feel the need to get one 😅

I think if you have the DIY version, the audible differences won't be large enough to warrant buying the commercial version. Unless you are really nuts about rolling rectifiers, as the commercial version opens up the option of 3A rectifiers, like 5U4 types.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #1,984 of 2,397
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,985 of 2,397
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #1,986 of 2,397
I think if you have the DIY version, the audible differences won't be large enough to warrant buying the commercial version. Unless you are really nuts about rolling rectifiers, as the commercial version opens up the option of 3A rectifiers, like 5U4 types.

What, and leave the land of potato mashers?

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #1,987 of 2,397
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #1,988 of 2,397
Lol I'm just SAYING it's an option. The potato mashers can come too.
Yeah, I was just kidding. It's good to have options.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,989 of 2,397
Exotic 5u4 is hella expensive though. Sometimes when I see people listing 5u4 Osram and Cossor I am glad the diy version could not take those ..........

On the topic of tube, my El39 finally came in and I could see why people like them. I expected it to be quite a departure from the EL38 (bright vs warm) but I was pleasantly surprised. The EL38 is more airy but the details are distracting in some tracks. The El39 is tiny tiny bit more laid back, but the tone is very pleasant & smooth. I loved the EL38 with the Atrium Open though, everything feels just .... right! Orthos I found is better served with "weightier" tube like the EL156.

I hope I can get a pair of 6su7gty too. They are getting a lot rarer these days, the popularity of Aegis would not help either xD.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #1,990 of 2,397
Exotic 5u4 is hella expensive though. Sometimes when I see people listing 5u4 Osram and Cossor I am glad the diy version could not take those ..........

On the topic of tube, my El39 finally came in and I could see why people like them. I expected it to be quite a departure from the EL38 (bright vs warm) but I was pleasantly surprised. The EL38 is more airy but the details are distracting in some tracks. The El39 is tiny tiny bit more laid back, but the tone is very pleasant & smooth. I loved the EL38 with the Atrium Open though, everything feels just .... right! Orthos I found is better served with "weightier" tube like the EL156.

I hope I can get a pair of 6su7gty too. They are getting a lot rarer these days, the popularity of Aegis would not help either xD.
Glad to hear you think the EL38 sounds great with the Atrium Open. I have a sensitivity to "bright" and have been hoping I don't get that with that combo.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,991 of 2,397
Glad to hear you think the EL38 sounds great with the Atrium Open. I have a sensitivity to "bright" and have been hoping I don't get that with that combo.
I had the Atrium Open on long term loan for a few weeks, really tempted to get a stabilized resin pair though I feel it's quite redundant with my other cans. Classic rock sounds sublime on the AO though ... Camel & Dire Straits really stands out!

I don't have much trouble with treble/brightness with any cans (I still like the unmodded Hd800 for example) but with the Aegis (and especially ZMF), you can easily dial back the sound to your liking. If you find the EL38 too bright you could try another input tube - I found the Sylvania 6SL7 tame the treble quite nicely, but it does add a tad bit of midrange warmth to the sound that I find distracting sometimes.

For the AO though, my final combo was Be2 pad + el38 + 5691 + Mullard gz34 on low impedance setting. Caldera Ultra Perf Pad gets an honorable mention here, almost like a more romantic HD800, though I found it lacks the warmth and the "tranquility" (for lack of better words) which make the AO special in the first place.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #1,992 of 2,397

That sums up the EL38 & EL39 perfectly.

The EL37,38 & 39 all very close in terms of sound signature. Slight variations in sound and presentation. I do find the EL39 a little warmer but not a night and day thing, just enough to provide a different feel. Your description of "Laid Back" is possibly the best way of describing it. I think the EL38 Trough getter is a bit closer to the EL39 than the double halos but only a touch. The detail level is dialled up quite as high.

I popped in the EL34 XF2s the other week with the 274b and that pairing sounded really nice... dam, this amp just takes so many different tubes it would be impossible to become bored of one sound type. Certainly makes tweaking to match headphones a lot easier.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,993 of 2,397
The EL37,38 & 39 all very close in terms of sound signature.

I found the EL38 to be much different than the EL37 (I still have to put in the trough getter pair, so far I’ve only tried the double halo one). I personally much prefer the EL37 which sound much more refined and delicate in their presentation. The EL38 was a bit too harsh for me; dynamic for sure, perhaps better fitting for more hard hitting genres? But the difference between them was quite notable and not as small as I’d thought.

At one point I’ll try the trough getter pair as well (also to rule out that the first el38 pair I tried wasn’t low quality for some reason) and report!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,994 of 2,397
I found the EL38 to be much different than the EL37 (I still have to put in the trough getter pair, so far I’ve only tried the double Helb one). I personally much prefer the EL37 which sound much more refined and delicate in their presentation. The EL38 was a bit too harsh for me; dynamic for sure, perhaps better fitting for more heard hitting genres? But the difference between them was quite notable and not as small as I’d thought.

At one point I’ll try the trough getter pair as well (also to rule out that the first el38 pair I tried wasn’t low quality for some reason) and report!
Getting nervous I’m not going to like these el38s. Just have to wait until my adaptors arrive and give them a whirl. Seems the end result isn’t the same for everyone. But everyone has different gear chains and preferences. I just know hot treble and me do not jive. Worst case, seems the market for these are hot so I could sell them if not for me.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #1,995 of 2,397
I’d also imagine both DAC and headphones will influence the finished sound as well. It’s a case of finding the right balance in your own system!

I don’t find the EL38s overly bright at all and it is something I’m sensitive with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back