Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,156 of 2,394
I had the Empyrean for 18 months… very enjoyable listening. When I went from them to the Elites I enjoyed the extra detail, improved soundstage, imaging and speed. They had a similar character so depending on preferences and setup you could easily prefer one over the other. I think the Empy received a bad rep from some quarters, unfairly really as they have a special character.

Before the angled pads came a long I’d lived with the Elites with the Hybrid Pads. No complaints at all and loved them. Once trying the Angled Pads, even though I’d never thought it before, I could see why some may feel they were a bit veiled. The new pads make a big difference to both headphones and from sources I trust, they say even more so with the Empyrean. One day I may buy them back. A bit like the HD800s. They both have a unique character to them!

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,157 of 2,394
Well, the LA Radiotechnique EL39tubes turned up a few days back and the adapters arrived today. Initial listen and they seem to sound the same as the EL38s.

Slightly taller tube for the case but the internals appear to be the same. You need a torch to shine in the top but the insides, apart from the getters are the same. The Mullard EL38s are double halo whereas the LR EL39s look like a trough getter. Slightly squarer one compared to the ones on my Mullard EL37s. The LR EL39s even have the strong blue glow that the EL38s have… although more restricted because of the grey/silver glass.

My LR EL39s have slightly loose bases so I’ll need to glue them before before major use I think.

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,158 of 2,394
Popped the amp on to warm up this evening and one of those EL39 tubes just died! Swapped around adapters etc and it’s definitely the tube☹️. Trusty EL38s back in for now!

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,159 of 2,394
So I been A/B testing Aegis to the Thule and the soundstage is really amazing on the Aegis and make my AC really sings, listening to Vanessa Fernandez is like I’m in the same room picking all the details, I can’t thank you enough @L0rdGwyn , did put an order for a pair Golden Lion KT66 and can’t wait to try them out, should arrive this week 😃
IMG_0956.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,160 of 2,394
So I been A/B testing Aegis to the Thule and the soundstage is really amazing on the Aegis and make my AC really sings, listening to Vanessa Fernandez is like I’m in the same room picking all the details, I can’t thank you enough @L0rdGwyn , did put an order for a pair Golden Lion KT66 and can’t wait to try them out, should arrive this week 😃
IMG_0956.jpeg
Thanks for your insight. I am in the middle of building one of these myself. What tubes are you currently using?

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #1,161 of 2,394
Thanks for your insight. I am in the middle of building one of these myself. What tubes are you currently using?
Ultron Z34, Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY and JJ KT77 for now but will test GL KT66 when they arrive..

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,162 of 2,394
@L0rdGwyn is it possible to run EL156 tubes with adapters as power tubes?

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,163 of 2,394
@L0rdGwyn is it possible to run EL156 tubes with adapters as power tubes?

Yup. I have to look at the bias point, but it's close enough to a KT88 that I feel confident it will work.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,165 of 2,394
Oct 19, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #1,167 of 2,394
The mids of the ECC35 feel a little more thin and recessed actually. The mids of the 5691 have more body, the separation of the 5691 is superior, the sound just pops more on the 5691 whereas the ECC35 is more flat in its sound field. Overall though we're not talking massive differences, output tubes in Aegis have a far greater impact on the sound, but given what the ECC35 cost, I don't think they're worth picking up over the 5691.

How do you feel the 5691 compare with the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY ?

Oct 20, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,168 of 2,394
How do you feel the 5691 compare with the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY ?

I've never really compared them side-by-side until today. Overall my impressions is the 6SU7GTY is a little more forward and intimate whereas the 5691 is more laid back and diffuse. I think the 5691 may have a slightly larger stage, but the more forward sound of the 6SU7GTY gives the impression of a slightly higher degree of clarity. Honestly, they are more similar than different, you can't go wrong with either one, I'd probably have a very hard time telling them apart in a blind test.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,169 of 2,394
Got my 5691's last week but was moving apartments so didn't have any time to listen to them.

Popped them in today and so far today I'm liking them! They play nice with the Genelax KT66s. They are giving the more of a holographic sound. Not full on holographic but definitely noticeable. Feels like a nice mid ground between non-holographic and full on holographic.

Also noticing better instrument separation as well. Since its NOS I'm assuming some burn in is required and the sound will change a bit over time.

I must say that listening to music on the Aegis and Atrium Closed has really spoiled me for life. Can never go back to "regular" headphones / bluetooth headphones anymore. You just notice how much of the music is "missing" when listening in the car or even airpods.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,170 of 2,394
I've never really compared them side-by-side until today. Overall my impressions is the 6SU7GTY is a little more forward and intimate whereas the 5691 is more laid back and diffuse. I think the 5691 may have a slightly larger stage, but the more forward sound of the 6SU7GTY gives the impression of a slightly higher degree of clarity. Honestly, they are more similar than different, you can't go wrong with either one, I'd probably have a very hard time telling them apart in a blind test.

That’s very helpful. I definitely feel I have as much soundstage and air as I would want already, going more laid back and diffuse wouldn’t work for me as well so I’ll stick with the 6SU7GTY / EL37 for now… thank you 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back