Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #721 of 2,394
Well, a bit mixed of a day.

Great news: the wire I ordered this week has already arrived. Super fast, low fuss. Excellent!

Terrible news. I've been getting a bit more persistent in following up with Elma, having emailed Brian a 2nd time this month yesterday, and starting to call around today. Here is the response I finally received:

"Hi Denver,

Sorry for the delay. I have not received a solid answer at this point from production. I know there was a batch of parts built for all of these orders coming in for this part number. I can see in our system showing demand for the next batch to be built which your order is in. We are checking with production on what is going on and why the delay. My colleague Diem mentioned to me that production is missing a component for the switch assembly. We are trying to get confirmation on that as well as when we will be able to build more and complete the open orders for this switch. This is affecting your order as well as others for this same switch."

So this sounds to me like production has not STARTED on the part ordered 8 weeks ago. Meanwhile amps are being completed. What a bummer. Hopefully there will be some good news soon.

Any alternative to the elma switch that doesn't decrease quality?

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #722 of 2,394

Great news: the wire I ordered this week has already arrived. Super fast, low fuss. Excellent!

Terrible news. I've been getting a bit more persistent in following up with Elma, having emailed Brian a 2nd time this month yesterday, and starting to call around today. Here is the response I finally received:

"Hi Denver,

Sorry for the delay. I have not received a solid answer at this point from production. I know there was a batch of parts built for all of these orders coming in for this part number. I can see in our system showing demand for the next batch to be built which your order is in. We are checking with production on what is going on and why the delay. My colleague Diem mentioned to me that production is missing a component for the switch assembly. We are trying to get confirmation on that as well as when we will be able to build more and complete the open orders for this switch. This is affecting your order as well as others for this same switch."

So this sounds to me like production has not STARTED on the part ordered 8 weeks ago. Meanwhile amps are being completed. What a bummer. Hopefully there will be some good news soon.

That’s kinda worrying. I just placed my order for the Elma switch a few days ago. Was told turn around would be about 3 weeks.

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #723 of 2,394

"Hi Denver,

The alternatives were discussed in the thread, Goldpoint being one and there are some other options from Grayhill. They would need to be wired point-to-point. However, the cutout in the chassis is specific to the Elma switch and it's locking shape, so if you wanted to use an alternative switch you would likely need to drill out the hole with a hand drill or a drill press.

It sounds like Brian is investigating, Elma is a respectable company so I'm sure it will be resolved. In the meantime, the rest of the amp could be built. You could even wire the output for one impedance or the other and use the amp until the switch arrives.

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #724 of 2,394
That’s kinda worrying. I just placed my order for the Elma switch a few days ago. Was told turn around would be about 3 weeks.
I was told under 4 weeks when I ordered in May. As L0rdgwyn said, let's see what they say; hopefully they'll sort it. I have a direct contact that I called today that has been helpful, I will call her either tomorrow or Friday again to follow up. She had been checking on things for me prior to receiving the email from Brian.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #725 of 2,394
The alternatives were discussed in the thread, Goldpoint being one and there are some other options from Grayhill. They would need to be wired point-to-point. However, the cutout in the chassis is specific to the Elma switch and it's locking shape, so if you wanted to use an alternative switch you would likely need to drill out the hole with a hand drill or a drill press.

It sounds like Brian is investigating, Elma is a respectable company so I'm sure it will be resolved. In the meantime, the rest of the amp could be built. You could even wire the output for one impedance or the other and use the amp until the switch arrives.
That's what I did. Saved a stack of time in the final assembly.

I was going to hardwire for the for the lower impedance as well but I decided on the £75 Grayhill option when Brian emailed me just before I pulled the trigger on it. If you do go with the Grayhill, you could find out the diameter required for the switch and let David know and I'd imagine he maybe able to help out by drilling the correct size cutout. He was really good when sorting out the two XLR cutouts on mine!

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #726 of 2,394
You could even wire the output for one impedance or the other and use the amp until the switch arrives.
@L0rdGwyn where can I find a wiring diagram for wiring for one impedance or the other, without having a switch?

I do have extra PCBs for the ELMA switch so maybe the easiest way would be to put jumper wires on a PBC?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #727 of 2,394
@L0rdGwyn where can I find a wiring diagram for wiring for one impedance or the other, without having a switch?

I do have extra PCBs for the ELMA switch so maybe the easiest way would be to put jumper wires on a PBC?
Thanks!

Best way is to wire at the transformer. See this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aegis-diy-tube-headphone-amplifier.965530/post-17596500

Obviously if you aren't using the switch, the cutout at the back of the chassis for it isn't needed, you just wire directly from the output transformers to the TRS jack. The 4.7K resistor on the output can be wired at the transformer across the positive and negative outputs for both channels, or you can do it at the TRS jack.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #728 of 2,394
Potentially very good news. I mentioned I had a direct phone contact with Elma that was helping. She called back today and left a message that the switch would be shipped no later than the 24th. I was prepared for longer. Also good news for those that have ordered recently as it means another batch is being completed.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #729 of 2,394
Potentially very good news. I mentioned I had a direct phone contact with Elma that was helping. She called back today and left a message that the switch would be shipped no later than the 24th. I was prepared for longer. Also good news for those that have ordered recently as it means another batch is being completed.
Thanks for the update! That's great to hear! Hopefully there will be no delay with my switch. Although my lundahls won't ship till Sept, so as long as I get it by then I'm happy

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #730 of 2,394

I like to think that since there is now more demand for this particular model, the manufacturing / ordering process will become more streamlined as time goes on. I got the impression when I first ordered it for this project it was not in high demand.

Jul 20, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #731 of 2,394
Now we can tell people how hip we are.

“We ordered that Elma Switch before it was cool!”

Jul 20, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #733 of 2,394
The topic of amorphous transformers has been discussed, but I noticed on Erhard that the LL1667 comes in a nano crystalline core. Has anyone tried this particular version?

I wouldn't recommend going with anything but stock core for the LL1667, any other core type is likely to adversely affect the frequency response. The 6SL7 isn't an easy tube to choke load. If anyone wants to try out different core types, wire types, etc., the output transformers are the place to experiment.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #734 of 2,394
I promise to share notes on the Aegis soon (I have Aegis "unit #001" which @L0rdGwyn built on hand). I've had a flurry of incoming amps at the same time coupled with some family travel (son college tours). Will find the mental and physical space to put some imrpessions together and share.

I'll say this quickly though - the Aegis' one (very) unique quality is its superb soundstage. Unsurprisingly, the only other amp I've heard such a soundstange on was the Airmid (not mine).

Got some Mullard EL37s in now, which seem to work very well with my preferred genres of acoustic/jazz/vocal music. Some extra detail and air with those (also been testing with various EL34s, which are all very punchy; and EL84s with adapters that are very sweet sounding with less headroom). Input tubes Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY (as recommended by Keenan) with sittard GZ34.

This amp is quite different than my EL34 based Auris Nirvana. I'll have to wrap my head and ears some more around it, but I think that where the Nirvana emphasizes more attack and coherent center image, the Aegis is more spacious and organic. More to follow.. promise 🤞 😉

I'm glad I decided to go back over this thread... I'm in the process now that you were back then and yes, I've noticed the exact same thing. The EL37 with the Aegis provides a refined organic and spacious feel while the Nirvana is more centre focused that can reach out but not as far as the EL37. The Elites with the angled pads and the GZ34, EL357 and Brimar 6SL7GT tubes are amazing for classical, jazz, international and acoustic the feeling of space is something else.

I'm using the hybrid pads for pop genre at the moment to give a little more weight to the mids, which it does nicely, but you still have amazing reach. I've often found myself taking off my headphones thinking I heard something in the house but it's been on the track! Also... the soundstage depth is mental, you really get get a sense of distant placement at times while other instruments being very close or even behind you! It's not in-ya-face either, you can sit back and take it in as a whole or, if you focus, you can nail instrument placements with ease!

The amp and tubes are 20hrs or so in now so a way to go before this settle in properly.

In terms of AC headphones, any thoughts / experiences with Hard / Soft wood for use with the Aegis?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #735 of 2,394
I'm glad I decided to go back over this thread... I'm in the process now that you were back then and yes, I've noticed the exact same thing. The EL37 with the Aegis provides a refined organic and spacious feel while the Nirvana is more centre focused that can reach out but not as far as the EL37. The Elites with the angled pads and the GZ34, EL357 and Brimar 6SL7GT tubes are amazing for classical, jazz, international and acoustic the feeling of space is something else.

I'm using the hybrid pads for pop genre at the moment to give a little more weight to the mids, which it does nicely, but you still have amazing reach. I've often found myself taking off my headphones thinking I heard something in the house but it's been on the track! Also... the soundstage depth is mental, you really get get a sense of distant placement at times at the same time as other instruments being very close or even behind you!

The amp and tubes are 20hrs so a way to go before this settle in properly.

In terms of AC headphones, any thoughts / experiences with Hard / Soft wood for use with the Aegis?

I have only tried hard wood AC with the Aegis (as that’s what I have). I do like the Aegis with those, and in general like ZMF dynamics most with it (as well as the lcd-4). It sounds especially good with high impedance headphones in terms of synergy in my chain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back