Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #646 of 2,392
Headphones. its definitely missing the headphones 🤣

Lol... I didn't think of that... I was waiting for Tubes, it's missing tubes :o2smile:

Well, you'll be ready when the chassis arrives! Planning on wood side panels?

Yeah... 40mm 100mm 350mm oak panels which will help it blend in with the Nirvana which it will be sat alongside. They're more or less done. I'm waiting on the chassis to arrive to decide on whether I want a little overhang at the front or not. My gut feeling is not but at least I have more than enough spare at the back 90 degree cut end to play around with. The front part has a 20 degree mitre so it will sweep back a little. I think the chassis has left the US now and is due in the UK soon so it should be with me either backend of this week or early next week! The excitement is building :o2smile:

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #647 of 2,392
Lundahl gear arrived today. Waiting on the elma switch (or a response from Brian *cough* since it's late). I need to order some wire, and head to home depot or something to grab some screws and such.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #648 of 2,392
Ok. Bit the bullet and started ordering parts! Starting with Lundahl, chassis and elma switch.

Lundahl in Sweden is apparently closed for the summer. And they reopen sometime in August. So won't get it till Sept 😭.

Am trying to teach myself patience 😅. In this day and age of Amazon Prime I'm too used to getting orders the next day haha.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #649 of 2,392
Ok. Bit the bullet and started ordering parts! Starting with Lundahl, chassis and elma switch.

Lundahl in Sweden is apparently closed for the summer. And they reopen sometime in August. So won't get it till Sept 😭.

Am trying to teach myself patience 😅. In this day and age of Amazon Prime I'm too used to getting orders the next day haha.

Yeah they have holidays mid summer and are unavailable. Definitely need to be patient for DIY! But the payoff is worth it.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #650 of 2,392

LoL, because I live and work in France, I am attuned to take advantage of July/August for getting on with work, and postone until September for things that you need to collaborate/order, or need other collaboration. :relaxed:

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #651 of 2,392
LoL, because I live and work in France, I am attuned to take advantage of July/August for getting on with work, and postone until September for things that you need to collaborate/order, or need other collaboration. :relaxed:
Haha. On one hand I find its amazing that its normal for them for the entire company to close in summer and I wish that American companies can do the same. But as a consumer it kinda hurts to wait 🤣

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #652 of 2,392

Yeah, we are spoilt by Amazon Prime :o2smile:

But, you can still get a lot done while you're waiting for them. You could have the who amp built apart from the transformers. It would save a lot of time later!!

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #653 of 2,392
Yeah, we are spoilt by Amazon Prime :o2smile:

But, you can still get a lot done while you're waiting for them. You could have the who amp built apart from the transformers. It would save a lot of time later!!
Yeah, over the weekend I'll be placing orders for the rest of the components. Just wanted to make sure I could get the big 3 items first (lundahl, chassis and elma switch). I do intend to build what I can whilst waiting for the Lundahls.

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #654 of 2,392
Yeah, over the weekend I'll be placing orders for the rest of the components. Just wanted to make sure I could get the big 3 items first (lundahl, chassis and elma switch). I do intend to build what I can whilst waiting for the Lundahls.
The 450HXW220MEFR18X45 seems to be out of stock from Mouser and Digikey. I was spacing out my orders over a few months, so I was planning on waiting for it to come in restock, but you may need to find an alternative.

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #655 of 2,392
The 450HXW220MEFR18X45 seems to be out of stock from Mouser and Digikey. I was spacing out my orders over a few months, so I was planning on waiting for it to come in restock, but you may need to find an alternative.

The capacitors are easily substituted for, just use the part information on the BOM. Use this instead: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Rubycon/450CXW220MEFR18X50?qs=T3oQrply3y%2BgZzrWksPWmQ==

I added these to the Mouser project in place of the ones that are out of stock. They are interchangeable, one seems to go out of stock while the other is in stock, then they flip flop.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #656 of 2,392
Question about the wire lengths listed, are they exact or is there some wiggle room for mistakes? Am wondering if I should buy some extra length in case of mistakes or is there wiggle room built in already?

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #657 of 2,392
Haha. On one hand I find its amazing that its normal for them for the entire company to close in summer and I wish that American companies can do the same. But as a consumer it kinda hurts to wait 🤣
The entire company does not shut down, but this period still represents a great opportunity to get on with tasks like website updates etc, without monitoring 100 emails per day. :relaxed:

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #658 of 2,392
The entire company does not shut down, but this period still represents a great opportunity to get on with tasks like website updates etc, without monitoring 100 emails per day. :relaxed:
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #659 of 2,392
Question about the wire lengths listed, are they exact or is there some wiggle room for mistakes? Am wondering if I should buy some extra length in case of mistakes or is there wiggle room built in already?

I built in a little extra length so the wire could be cut to size, but you could always buy extra if you are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back