Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #631 of 2,394
I haven't personally used Neotech for this build (Used Alpha Wire 20AWG) but when you say organise, do you mean identify each cable due to it being one colour? If so, use cable shrink wrap. I used yellow cable for yellow / green cables but used sections of green shrink wrap at the beginning, middle and end so I could aisle identify each one. You can buy a mix of different cable shrink wraps fairly cheaply.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #632 of 2,394
Thanks!
I was worried about losing track of each cable. Especially around the transformers, chokes, and the impedance switch. Both of the stranded, and solid core Neotech PVC 20awg wire is blue. I was possibly thinking of electrical tape or writing short hand on masking tape but shrink wrap sounds like a much better idea.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #633 of 2,394
Is that the silver Neotech wire? I thought the copper one was red.

When I was looking at the Feliks Envy, it was mentioned by those who had heard both that the copper and the silver plated copper versions that it didn't sound that different for the extra $. There was no option for silver, which could be an interesting option.

Depending on how it sounds with the Alpha Wire, I may consider a wire upgrade at some point in the future, even if it was just from the output transformers to the XLR sockets etc but only if I felt it needed it.

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #634 of 2,394
Neotech teflon insulation seems to be red, and Neotech pvc insulation seems to have different colors per gauge with 20awg being blue.

Any difference is probably going to be subtle at most, but I have really enjoyed OCC headphone cable. I thought it would be a fun way to personalize the Aegis without touching anything else.

Silver wire would be fun to try, but that is a bit more than I want to spend.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #635 of 2,394
Yeah... it would be quite the upgrade :o2smile:

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #636 of 2,394
So I am seriously considering building this but am trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row first. From what I can see, the $2k estimate build cost does not include tubes. As a complete tube newbie I am trying to factor in what tubes are gonna run me. Ready made tube amps come with "stock" tubes so its easy to use those first and then tube roll as you go along. But since this build has no "stock" tubes am kinda lost on what tubes to start with.

Also I see that during the testing phase we plug in a tube to each socket to test. Would it make sense to buy a cheap tube for testing? Or it won't be an issue to test with the tubes I intend to use with the unit in general?
And if it does make sense to get "tester" tubes, would I need a full set of 5? or just 3 tubes as the input tubes and output tubes are the same and are tested individually?

Hope the question makes sense.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #637 of 2,394
I had an old pair of EL34 tubes to use during testing for the power side of things but I bought some very cheap but working / tested good tubes from one of my regular sellers as I didn't want to risk damaging better quality ones. I spent about £7-£10 on each of the tubes that will used for testing! At that price it was easier to buy the three remaining tubes I needed.

I spent quite a bit more than I needed to on the first set of proper tubes but I'm sure people who have more experience with the tubes this amp uses will be able to give a better idea as to what would be a reasonable amount to set aside!

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #638 of 2,394
So I am seriously considering building this but am trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row first. From what I can see, the $2k estimate build cost does not include tubes. As a complete tube newbie I am trying to factor in what tubes are gonna run me. Ready made tube amps come with "stock" tubes so its easy to use those first and then tube roll as you go along. But since this build has no "stock" tubes am kinda lost on what tubes to start with.

Also I see that during the testing phase we plug in a tube to each socket to test. Would it make sense to buy a cheap tube for testing? Or it won't be an issue to test with the tubes I intend to use with the unit in general?
And if it does make sense to get "tester" tubes, would I need a full set of 5? or just 3 tubes as the input tubes and output tubes are the same and are tested individually?

Hope the question makes sense.

I think it makes more sense to just test with tubes you are going to use. In my opinion I don't think you are going to get bad sound with any tubes you start with. It's all relative, and sure you can get better performance with more expensive tubes, but I think a more budget friendly starting set makes sense for testing and the sound will still be great, you can always upgrade later. You can either go with a new production set, or NOS. New production is probably easier if you are brand new to this since you don't have to hunt down a quality set of tubes on eBay, which can be overwhelming for a beginner. A site like Tube Depot has lots of new production options. Someone also mentioned Antique Electronic Supply. I can't tell you specifically what new production tubes to get since I have not tried them personally, but @miter53 recommended the Genalex 5AR4, Tung-Sol 6SL7, and Genalex Gold Lion KT66.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #639 of 2,394

I think the cheapest option for (remotely reliable and reputable) tubes would be getting JJ tubes (or any other new production tubes, but JJ are reliable and the cheapest) through a site like TubeDepot.

This is the route I took, because it will take time (and money) to hunt down the right combo of NOS tubes. Many new-production tubes are just rebranded tubes being pumped out of the same two or three factories out of Russia and China, for variously large sums of money. Additionally, for testing purposes, new JJ tubes will take some variables out of the equation that might pop up with NOS tubes. I'm expecting my parts to be here by late-Sept and want to have a complement of tubes easy and ready to test with.

This is essentially the cheapest you'll get without buying used new-production tubes or hunting on Ebay or Reverb for new-production tubes (NOS for this complement of tubes tends to be sizably more expensive, especially for the EL34s).

1000002743.jpg

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #640 of 2,394
Thanks for the advice! Definitely sounds more achievable and those figures don’t seem to break the bank. So that does seem like a good staring point.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #641 of 2,394
I think the cheapest option for (remotely reliable and reputable) tubes would be getting JJ tubes (or any other new production tubes, but JJ are reliable and the cheapest) through a site like TubeDepot.

I concur. I've had good experience with JJ tubes which I got as stock tubes with my Auris Nirvana, which at the time were EL34s (perfect for this amp) and 12au7. All were good quality, dead quiet, and reliable.

I have upgraded since on that amp a couple of times, and improved sound. But was very happy for a few month and these are solid starter tubes and really very good quality to price.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #642 of 2,394
Any recommendations for tubes with smoother/more natural treble to work with the clears or meatier tubes to flesh out the K712?

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #643 of 2,394
Can you spot what’s missing?!? 😂

IMG_4517.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back