Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 7, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #616 of 2,394
Wow, these have went way up in price since I purchased mine.

Yea, that’s why I mentioned further up the thread if anyone is interested, perhaps not wait further,.. These are rapidly disappearing I don’t think too many are left around.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #617 of 2,394
When you say pan getter are they the same as what we refer to trough getter (UK) or are they different again?

Mine are trough getter. One below.
IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg
Yes. There is also a twin trough/pan getter version.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #618 of 2,394
Now that much of my parts have been ordered (and the subsequent multi-month wait...), anybody out there with a large surplus of 6SL7s, GZ34/5AR4s, and EL34s EL84s looking to make some money, I'm your guy 😉

One delay I've had is with the ELMA switch; has anybody contacted Brian this week and gotten a response? It's a holiday week, so no worries, but the rest of the custom orders (David, Holger, Steve) were very responsive.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #619 of 2,394
Now that much of my parts have been ordered (and the subsequent multi-month wait...), anybody out there with a large surplus of 6SL7s, GZ34/5AR4s, and EL84s looking to make some money, I'm your guy 😉

One delay I've had is with the ELMA switch; has anybody contacted Brian this week and gotten a response? It's a holiday week, so no worries, but the rest of the custom orders (David, Holger, Steve) were very responsive.
I'd ordered my part from Brian on the 25th of May so I reached out on 7.5 to check on the order status. He did reply the next day, but the reply was that he needed to check with production to see the status. I'll touch base with him on Monday if I don't hear anything.

I have not heard anything about the Lundahl order, but he mentioned when I made it in May that it would be mid/late July before they went out. I need to go the hardware shop and buy screws and such, and order wire as well. Everything else has arrived.

Jul 8, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #620 of 2,394
How are things going for you @miter53 ?
Going well! The noise seems to be source related, specifically my Mhdt Orchid dac. Not sure why, as I haven't noticed noise when it's connected to other amps. The background is silent when running the Aegis off my iphone.

I've really been enjoying the Aegis with Sophia Electric EL34s, but I just scored these today. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet! Matching 1957 date codes...

IMG_3075.JPG

Jul 8, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #621 of 2,394
Going well! The noise seems to be source related, specifically my Mhdt Orchid dac. Not sure why, as I haven't noticed noise when it's connected to other amps. The background is silent when running the Aegis off my iphone.

I've really been enjoying the Aegis with Sophia Electric EL34s, but I just scored these today. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet! Matching 1957 date codes...

IMG_3075.JPG
Directly connected to my computer I could hear a bunch of noise, behind the Audial in my main system it is dead quiet. It is certainly more resolving than my BHC which does not pick up the noise from my computer.

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #622 of 2,394

Interesting, can't really comment on what's going on with the MHDT DAC. Both of my tube DACs are silent, so of course I will blame the MHDT :wink: hopefully it isn't too bothersome.

Looks like a nice pair of EL37! Let us know how they compare to the Sophias.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #623 of 2,394
I had my tubadour tube dac placed on a shelf above the bigger Ben amp, and I was getting whine and noise. I kept trying to find the solution by swapping tubes, thinking they were noisy, but it didn’t help.

I ended up moving the dac up a shelf when I was testing a new dac that didn’t fit in the existing shelf. Problem solved! Apparently the tube dac didn’t like to be that near the amp.

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #624 of 2,394
Yep same problem my dog does not like my cat, seriously I have some basic (current production) tubes to start with but what would you guys consider a decent basic tube compliment without setting me back. I needed a new dac to go with this and I had to upgrade to a pair of HD800s and am a little strapped for a while.
Bill

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #625 of 2,394
A question about a Neutrik XLR 4 pin female socket. It’s one of the metal case ones that has a tiny 5th connector for grounding the locking mechanism. As this is being installed as a SE socket and just to allow me to use the balance cable, the Ground for left and right will be connected and will also connect to the ground on the PCB main board. The question I have is whether I should also connect the locking mechanism ground on the side of the socket to the PCB ground as well? Cheers.

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #626 of 2,394
A question about a Neutrik XLR 4 pin female socket. It’s one of the metal case ones that has a tiny 5th connector for grounding the locking mechanism. As this is being installed as a SE socket and just to allow me to use the balance cable, the Ground for left and right will be connected and will also connect to the ground on the PCB main board. The question I have is whether I should also connect the locking mechanism ground on the side of the socket to the PCB ground as well? Cheers.

That ground is for the body of the XLR connector, it isn't really used in a single-ended connection, but it may provide some shielding benefit if you ground it, so no harm in doing that. You can make a point-to-point connection to the R- / L- pins that will be connected to the PCB ground.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #627 of 2,394
Yep same problem my dog does not like my cat, seriously I have some basic (current production) tubes to start with but what would you guys consider a decent basic tube compliment without setting me back. I needed a new dac to go with this and I had to upgrade to a pair of HD800s and am a little strapped for a while.
Bill
Genalex 5AR4, Tung-Sol 6SL7, Genalex Gold Lion KT66. I thought mine sounded damn nice with these new production tubes. Not really cheap ($45-$70 each), but way better than NOS/vintage tubes. The Genalex 5AR4 was the rectifier that came with my DNA Starlett. Antique Electronic Supply is a good source for West Coast folks.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #628 of 2,394
That ground is for the body of the XLR connector, it isn't really used in a single-ended connection, but it may provide some shielding benefit if you ground it, so no harm in doing that. You can make a point-to-point connection to the R- / L- pins that will be connected to the PCB ground.
Sorted thanks. The connector was close to one of the R- / L- pins so I just made a small U shape connector to link the two.... cheers!

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #629 of 2,394
Transformer hardware has shipped! Shot a second email to Brian to check with him on a shipping estimate.

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #630 of 2,394
I had a question for those who built using neotech cable.

How did you organize your wire when building the Aegis? I have soldering experience, but have not built an amp before.
Also, did you still use the Mogami cable? If not what Neotech equivalent did you guys use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back