Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jun 8, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #437 of 2,373
Is it possible to skip/bypass the Elma switch? I will only run zmf atrium 300ohm on this and the switch is really hard to buy in Sweden.. none of the distributors have it, I have reached out in Europe but no response yet

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #439 of 2,373
Is it possible to skip/bypass the Elma switch? I will only run zmf atrium 300ohm on this and the switch is really hard to buy in Sweden.. none of the distributors have it, I have reached out in Europe but no response yet

As I said in the build document, the switch is not available through ELMA's international distributors, it has to be brought through ELMA USA. If you just want to wire for only high impedance, you can skip the switch. The output transformers will then need to be wired point-to-point for the 6:1 turns ratio in the LL2765 datasheet.

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #440 of 2,373
And Brian was really helpful with the placing of the order for the switch... just used the email provided in the Aegis pdf manual!

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #442 of 2,373
For the whole inside wiring.

What wire do you have available? 20awg is probably the most common size of hookup wire made. You could use 18awg for the output and rectifier tube heaters and 22awg for everything else.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #443 of 2,373
What wire do you have available? 20awg is probably the most common size of hookup wire made. You could use 18awg for the output and rectifier tube heaters and 22awg for everything else
Thanks for the reply.
22awg is available in solid core, and bigger gauges are available in standard core's only or 20awg (solid core in single colour)is available in longer length like 1000ft, that's why I'm asking about other gauge options. I'll search more for other websites or sellers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #444 of 2,373
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #445 of 2,373
I am going to start with some cheap(ish) tubes. I bought "potato masher" rectifier tube.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 19.53.42.png

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 19.55.42.png
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 19.57.32.png

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #446 of 2,373
A word on wires and the cores they go around.

I personally tend to use Neotech hook-up upocc on a lot of my builds. I also did use it in Aegis. It's a great cable for DIY builds, readily available.

Core material. Had an adventure in comparing some on my own Aegis.
A very important choice early on in your Aegis build is the transformers type used.
There basically is a choice with Lundahl to use either the amorphous core material for the output or not.
Another consideration could be to use an amorphouse core material on the anode choke aswel.
They also will make you a silver version if you ask nicely. I've only played with silver secondaries in my speaker amps. And above all, it's extremely price (price x5-x10).

To understand the how and why of amorphous core material. You have to understand musical signal IS lost in the core material of a transformer. In the form of Eddy currents aswel as hysteresis. And it's here that amorphous or other exotic core materials have their function.

Please read the following page on Jac's website: http://www.jacmusic.com/lundahl/html/amorph.html

What does it do in Aegis?

I've personally tried both the output transformers and anode chokes with amorphous core material.

Long story short:
Amorphous
- More detailed
- Bigger soundstage
- No hitting bass anymore
- PRICE! Normal OPT's + anode chokes: 500€ -> AM version: 1200€ total.

So it depends on the amp build and tubes used. If it's warmer in nature (like Aegis) you may gain from going amorphouse core. If an amp is cold to start with. Don't go with amorphous. As it does cool the sound created in my opinion. In a lot of situations I prefer my normal cores over amorphous and metglass / NanoX type core material (I use Nano X from Monolith Magnetics in my speaker amp builds).
I started my own build with the amorphous OPT's. With the normal anode chokes. This was a deliberate choice as the anode choke's really need their inductance to get your low end going with the high impedance SL7's. And the amorphous alternative would leave a little to be desired. After a few months with the normal chokes I changed to the amorphous version and got exactly what was expected. A more clear / detailed view into the sound. At a serious cost. I lost my lowest octave weight that I liked so much in Aegis.
Now a few months with this amorphous anode choke I'm happy with the sound. But do miss some in the lower regions.

My personal recommendation for those building Aegis: maybe try AM OPT's and normal anode chokes as it gives the best of both worlds.

Am still waiting for my output switch (ordered months ago..). So can't give the complete picture with all impedance settings.

Hope this helps to inspire some future builds.

A picture from my setup as I’m writing this:
IMG_6342.jpeg

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #447 of 2,373
"Am still waiting for my output switch (ordered months ago..). So can't give the complete picture with all impedance settings."

Months?!? 😳 That's a little concerning. My order is in (as with everything else) and was expecting/hoping 5-6 weeks or so like the chassis and transformers.

Edit - I might reach out to Brian to see if he has a ballpark timescale. If it looks like it's going to be months I may use the 12/1 turns ration to begin with (Meze Elite) and then build the switch / add it later once it arrives.

@L0rdGwyn Do you know if this will add complications / changes to the rest of the build in terms of testing etc.

If I'm correct in my understanding, once I've wired up Ground and + outputs as per the 12/1 turn diagram on Lundahls website, the two output wires (for both L & R) go straight to the 6.35 / XLR 4 sockets. Then, rewire the pins on the transformers when the ELMA Output switch arrives?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #448 of 2,373
@L0rdGwyn Do you know if this will add complications / changes to the rest of the build in terms of testing etc.

If I'm correct in my understanding, once I've wired up Ground and + outputs as per the 12/1 turn diagram on Lundahls website, the two output wires (for both L & R) go straight to the 6.35 / XLR 4 sockets. Then, rewire the pins on the transformers when the ELMA Output switch arrives?

No, that won't cause any issues, it would just mean a little more work later undoing the 12:1 wiring, then reattaching the leads to the switch.

Here is the wiring diagram for the two turns ratios. This is an important point for you, @henrix or anyone else who might wire without the switch: the primary and secondary of the output transformer are wired in opposite phase. In the Lundahl datasheet, the star symbol denotes "in phase" signal connection, which is by the combined pins of 2+10. Since we are wiring out of phase, the 2+10 connection should be ground, the 5+7 connection is the signal output that will go to the L and R tabs / pins of the TRS or XLR connector.

LL2765_Wiring.png

So, you wire each transformer as above for the desired turns ratio, you get a signal + ground output from each, then wire those to the appropriate tab / pin on your output jack. As shown in the instructions, a ground connection is made from the ground tab of the output jack and the GND2 pad of the amplifier PCB.

If you do that and then the switch arrvives, connect each of the output connections from the jack(s) to the appropriate output pads on the switch PCB and attach the output transformer pins to the PCB as shown in the instructions. All of the output transformer wiring connections are made on the PCB itself.

I would ask Brian for a timeline, I received the switch in 4-5 weeks, but I am located in the USA.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #449 of 2,373
A word on wires and the cores they go around.

I personally tend to use Neotech hook-up upocc on a lot of my builds. I also did use it in Aegis. It's a great cable for DIY builds, readily available.

Core material. Had an adventure in comparing some on my own Aegis.
A very important choice early on in your Aegis build is the transformers type used.
There basically is a choice with Lundahl to use either the amorphous core material for the output or not.
Another consideration could be to use an amorphouse core material on the anode choke aswel.
They also will make you a silver version if you ask nicely. I've only played with silver secondaries in my speaker amps. And above all, it's extremely price (price x5-x10).

To understand the how and why of amorphous core material. You have to understand musical signal IS lost in the core material of a transformer. In the form of Eddy currents aswel as hysteresis. And it's here that amorphous or other exotic core materials have their function.

Please read the following page on Jac's website: http://www.jacmusic.com/lundahl/html/amorph.html

What does it do in Aegis?

I've personally tried both the output transformers and anode chokes with amorphous core material.

Long story short:
Amorphous
- More detailed
- Bigger soundstage
- No hitting bass anymore
- PRICE! Normal OPT's + anode chokes: 500€ -> AM version: 1200€ total.

So it depends on the amp build and tubes used. If it's warmer in nature (like Aegis) you may gain from going amorphouse core. If an amp is cold to start with. Don't go with amorphous. As it does cool the sound created in my opinion. In a lot of situations I prefer my normal cores over amorphous and metglass / NanoX type core material (I use Nano X from Monolith Magnetics in my speaker amp builds).
I started my own build with the amorphous OPT's. With the normal anode chokes. This was a deliberate choice as the anode choke's really need their inductance to get your low end going with the high impedance SL7's. And the amorphous alternative would leave a little to be desired. After a few months with the normal chokes I changed to the amorphous version and got exactly what was expected. A more clear / detailed view into the sound. At a serious cost. I lost my lowest octave weight that I liked so much in Aegis.
Now a few months with this amorphous anode choke I'm happy with the sound. But do miss some in the lower regions.

My personal recommendation for those building Aegis: maybe try AM OPT's and normal anode chokes as it gives the best of both worlds.

Am still waiting for my output switch (ordered months ago..). So can't give the complete picture with all impedance settings.

Hope this helps to inspire some future builds.

A picture from my setup as I’m writing this:

Thanks Tom, would be interesting to see how the AM chokes and OPTs are affecting the frequency response. Maybe I'll grab a pair to try out at some point.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #450 of 2,373
I'm heading out to Pittsburgh today with Aegis, my PCM63 DAC, and the Caldera. Spending the day there then the meet is tomorrow, we'll see what people think!

PXL_20230609_011040603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back