Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jun 2, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #421 of 2,373
So I was upgrading my Schitt Audio Bifrost 2 with the latest DAC card (to my surprise it was an improvement) and on a lark ordered the little coaster amp. If I read it correctly for $12 you get four of the printed circuit boards. It is a cute little amp and it uses a pair of the little miniature tubes, I won’t be building 4 and don’t plan on using the other 3 as coasters. If anyone is interested I will give the extras away. Should be an interesting comparison between the 2 amps since they are pretty much extremes in the investment area.
Bill

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #422 of 2,373
pm'd you...

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #423 of 2,373
So I was upgrading my Schitt Audio Bifrost 2 with the latest DAC card (to my surprise it was an improvement) and on a lark ordered the little coaster amp. If I read it correctly for $12 you get four of the printed circuit boards. It is a cute little amp and it uses a pair of the little miniature tubes, I won’t be building 4 and don’t plan on using the other 3 as coasters. If anyone is interested I will give the extras away. Should be an interesting comparison between the 2 amps since they are pretty much extremes in the investment area.
Bill
Would also be interesting to outfit the coaster with some uber-premium parts and see how it compares to one with more pedestrian components. But probably a waste of money. 🤣

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #424 of 2,373
Would also be interesting to outfit the coaster with some uber-premium parts and see how it compares to one with more pedestrian components. But probably a waste of money. 🤣
I always use audiophile coasters. It makes my coffee more full bodied and increases the width of the tastestage.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #426 of 2,373
I always use audiophile coasters. It makes my coffee more full bodied and increases the width of the tastestage.
LOL! But have you had your coasters quantum tunneled? If not, you're only getting a reasonable facsimile of audiophile coffee. 🤣

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #427 of 2,373
Everything has been bought apart from the ELMA output switch. Waiting on Brian to contact me about that!

Can't wait to get started!! 😃

For those in the UK, Orso has been excellent source for the Lundahls... very good customer service!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #429 of 2,373
Alternatives are 600V 0,22uf versions. They also fit in the existing holes. Another option could be 0,15uf 400V or 600V.

If all else is equal and it fits I personally tend to use the thicker insulation alternative of a cap. So the 600V version in this instance.

The 35mm cap length is the limiting factor mostly.

As for other options. Mundorf Silver gold oil fit perfectly well. Audyn true copper (another preference) barely fits. The max version is too big.

Duelund caps are more difficult to fit given their size. Here’s a picture with 0,1uf Duelund that I use in my Aegis at this moment. This picture shows how difficult it is to fit. But am still optimizing my parts choice. Will go back to Jupiter 0,22uf 600V after this

Attachments

• IMG_5249.jpeg
    IMG_5249.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5247.jpeg
    IMG_5247.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #430 of 2,373
Jun 5, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #432 of 2,373
Also check out Miflex.
I had some miflex coppers (kp01?) on a previous Bottlehead s.e.x. Build and they’re good caps, just be careful that the wires will work, they were a very thick braid and hard to fit into the circuit board. It was worth it though, great caps. Another good one are the duelund caps.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #433 of 2,373
@L0rdGwyn

Quick question, I am mocking up a vector file for engraving the rear panel, just want to make sure that the CAD files aren't mirrored/flipped when assembled, so that my .DXF are accurate (and won't be upside-down when engraving....)

Adding text to the CAD files you provided, is the following accurate?

20230605_155422.jpg

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #434 of 2,373
@L0rdGwyn

Quick question, I am mocking up a vector file for engraving the rear panel, just want to make sure that the CAD files aren't mirrored/flipped when assembled, so that my .DXF are accurate (and won't be upside-down when engraving....)

Adding text to the CAD files you provided, is the following accurate?

That's correct, the files are viewed as if you are looking at the panel straight on from the outside. Right channel on top, left on the bottom. High Z when turning to the left when viewed from the back, low Z to the right.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #435 of 2,373
That's correct, the files are viewed as if you are looking at the panel straight on from the outside. Right channel on top, left on the bottom. High Z when turning to the left when viewed from the back, low Z to the right.

Thanks! Really appreciate the prompt response, figured that was the way you designed the files but just wanted to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back