Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,411 of 2,631
I changed all twisted wires to drill-twisted wires. It is better now (no noise with VC headphones).

But my HD-515 still hum, only quieter. The weird thing is that it is right channel now. Channels are not swapped.

Did you make the ground changes to the XLR / TRS output? I would try that next. Can't guarantee it will help but I think it's worth a try.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,412 of 2,631
Did you make the ground changes to the XLR / TRS output? I would try that next. Can't guarantee it will help but I think it's worth a try.

Yes, I did that when I still had bad wires in my amp. It didn't change anything.
This time I forgot to connect XLR socket to GND-2 so I connected single ended socket to GND-2.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,413 of 2,631
Yes, I did that when I still had bad wires in my amp. It didn't change anything.
This time I forgot to connect XLR socket to GND-2 so I connected single ended socket to GND-2.

Okay, so now with the HD515, the left channel is silent but there is a hum in the right channel, correct?

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,417 of 2,631
Aegis on the front page of Head-Fi right now. We've made it, famous at last.

Untitled.png

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #1,418 of 2,631
Also, that picture is at my house, not CanJam Dallas lol, must have pulled it from this thread for the thumbnail. I was like "hmm, I don't remember sending EL37 and ECC35 to CanJam..."

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,419 of 2,631
Also, that picture is at my house, not CanJam Dallas lol, must have pulled it from this thread for the thumbnail. I was like "hmm, I don't remember sending EL37 and ECC35 to CanJam..."

Ha....that would be a pretty expensive tube set to be shipping about.

Should sound absolutely stunning though, never met a Mullard that I did not like.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,420 of 2,631
Does anybody else get a little bit of transformer hum with their unit? It's headphone out itself is dead silent, but there's a little bit of hum coming from the unit itself.

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,421 of 2,631
Only occasional and very quiet. I presumed there’s something on the circuit triggering it. I should really upgrade the power block.

Sometimes the VEGA G2.2 does the same but as with the Aegis you nearly have to put your ear on it to confirm the source. Lets put it this way, nothing like the hum I used to get from some Naim power supplies which could be heard a few metres away easily!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,422 of 2,631
And how loud is it? Can it be heard with the volume all the way down with no music playing? Does it change when the volume is adjusted?

Yes, the noise sounds like 60 hz. It is not too loud (can't hear it on VC) but it can be heard with the volume all the way down.
The noise increases only when volume is over ~70% on volume pot.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,424 of 2,631
Yes, the noise sounds like 60 hz. It is not too loud (can't hear it on VC) but it can be heard with the volume all the way down.
The noise increases only when volume is over ~70% on volume pot.
That sounds different from what im referring to. I can’t hear anything over the headphones and it doesn’t change when increasing volume etc

The very faint and occasional noise i hear is transformer hum and i nearly have to use the transformer as a pillow to hear where it’s coming from.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,425 of 2,631

Your twisted wiring looks much better, nice work. This is where things get tricky though as troubleshooting something like this remotely is challenging. Some other things that could be optimized a bit: the B+ wire from the power supply choke and the ground wire from the reservoir power supply capacitor (22uF not on the PCB) could be shortened. There looks to be some excess length from the right channel RCA to the volume pot, getting rid of the excess length may help.

But before doing those things, you may want to just reflow the solder joints for the right channel to be certain a bad joint isn't contributing to the noise. Check for loose connections in the right channel (from pot to PCB, from choke to PCB).

I think this is unlikely, but you could also try disconnecting the XLR shield from ground to be sure that isn't contributing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back