Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #976 of 2,592
How do you feel about metal films? I typically prefer those to carbon film as they are lower noise.

For signal path applications, I tend to avoid metal films. Many will balk but I've A-B'd them as unbypassed cathode resistors and plate resistors, in these two applications there is an audible difference vs a good carbon film (e.g., Kiwame/KOA Spear, Riken Ohm). But for power supply or small signal applications, like in the power supplies of my DACs for example, I use metal films or wirewound as they are lower noise. Carbon comps are good grid stopper since they are non-inductive, but a 6SL7 is not likely to oscillate since it isn't a particularly high transconductance tube, so carbon films are fine.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #977 of 2,592
For signal path applications, I tend to avoid metal films. Many will balk but I've A-B'd them as unbypassed cathode resistors and plate resistors, in these two applications there is an audible difference vs a good carbon film (e.g., Kiwame/KOA Spear, Riken Ohm). But for power supply or small signal applications, like in the power supplies of my DACs for example, I use metal films or wirewound as they are lower noise. Carbon comps are good grid stopper since they are non-inductive, but a 6SL7 is not likely to oscillate since it isn't a particularly high transconductance tube, so carbon films are fine.

Interesting. I'm not sure I agree, but I appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #978 of 2,592
Interesting. I'm not sure I agree, but I appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

It may be application dependent. Specifically when using an unbypassed cathode resistor in a CCS loaded tube gain stage, the resistor type does impact the sound in my experience. Maybe it's audiofoolery, but I know of other tube designers who have had similar experiences independent of my own. In most other places, it likely doesn't matter, or at least not enough to be discernible in a blind test.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #979 of 2,592
It may be application dependent. Specifically when using an unbypassed cathode resistor in a CCS loaded tube gain stage, the resistor type does impact the sound in my experience. Maybe it's audiofoolery, but I know of other tube designers who have had similar experiences independent of my own. In most other places, it likely doesn't matter, or at least not enough to be discernible in a blind test.

That I do agree with. Application matters. I tend to like Carbon Comp in tube amps and don't really like them in anything other than that.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #980 of 2,592
On a related note, just heard that Landfall finished our Aegis enclosures, so that's exciting.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #981 of 2,592
On a related note, just heard that Landfall finished our Aegis enclosures, so that's exciting.

Great news! What colors did you guys go with?

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #982 of 2,592
Great news! What colors did you guys go with?
I went with oil-rubbed bronze. Zach and Kevin went with a chromed bronze. I specifically wanted something a bit more old-school vintage looking.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #983 of 2,592
I went with oil-rubbed bronze. Zach and Kevin went with a chromed bronze. I specifically wanted something a bit more old-school vintage looking.

Those will look great. I think Kevin did a similar bronze for the Airmid I built him. Did you guys order the PCBs already? Wanted to make sure you saw my note about the polarity.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #984 of 2,592
Those will look great. I think Kevin did a similar bronze for the Airmid I built him. Did you guys order the PCBs already? Wanted to make sure you saw my note about the polarity.

Zach's handling the ordering, so I'll have to check with him.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #985 of 2,592
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #986 of 2,592
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #987 of 2,592
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #988 of 2,592
Did someone say oil rubbed bronze? A fine choice! Our Aegis can be twins!

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #989 of 2,592
It just so happens oil rubbed bronze was my nickname in college.

Kidding. In other news I swapped pads on my VC to the Universe Suede, think that is going to be a permanent change for me, sounds great on Aegis.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #990 of 2,592
I'm very grateful the only mistake I made only requires flipping a wire to fix!

I've spend enough time cutting traces on PCBs to appreciate how minor of a fix this is. I also remember having to pry up the legs of SMT ICs and hand-soldering 0402 resistors from the leg to the pad. This is much better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back