Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #916 of 2,592
Finished my aegis late last night! Haven’t really had a chance to listen to it yet aside from making sure it works. (tbh was kinda surprised it was working 😅 was half expecting that I made a mistake somewhere)

This thing is really heavy! Wasn’t expecting it to be that heavy.

Overall it was a super fun build! Instructions were super clear and the build flow made sense.
Have better tubes coming tomorrow so can’t wait to have a listening session.

Thanks @L0rdGwyn for putting this together! I can’t imagine the manpower it took to plan, test and put it all down in writing.

IMG_1125.jpeg

Nice job! Love that greenish chassis..

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #917 of 2,592
Nice job! Love that greenish chassis..
Thanks! It’s a dark green that looks almost black. But under sunlight / room lights then it sparkles a bit

IMG_0005.jpeg

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #918 of 2,592
Finished my aegis late last night! Haven’t really had a chance to listen to it yet aside from making sure it works. (tbh was kinda surprised it was working 😅 was half expecting that I made a mistake somewhere)

Overall it was a super fun build! Instructions were super clear and the build flow made sense.

Thanks @L0rdGwyn for putting this together! I can’t imagine the manpower it took to plan, test and put it all down in writing.
IMG_1125.jpeg
Looking great... as you said, great fun building it but sounds amazing as well. I could never imagine being without mine! Enjoy!!

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #919 of 2,592

IMG_1125.jpeg

Looks great, let us know what you think of the sound!

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #920 of 2,592
Thanks! It’s a dark green that looks almost black. But under sunlight / room lights then it sparkles a bit

IMG_0005.jpeg

Great, clean work!

Excited to hear your impressions!

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #921 of 2,592
I like how each one of these has a different color to the amp to match the builder's preference. Very cool indeed. :sunglasses:

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #922 of 2,592
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #923 of 2,592
I like how each one of these has a different color to the amp to match the builder's preference. Very cool indeed. :sunglasses:
Me too! I think we need to name the green one. Green Dream? Aegis Nereus? (Greek god of the oceans)

Aug 24, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #924 of 2,592
I spent most of today listening to the Aegis. Went with new production tubes as it was easier on the wallet for now.
Mullard GZ34, Tung-Sol 6SL7 and Gold Lion KT66. Fed by a Schiit Bifrost 2/64.
Listening for the most part done on ZMF Atrium Closed.
I mostly listen to Pop / Rock with some other genres thrown in here and there.

Holy cow! This setup sounds amazing!

First thing I noticed was that with no music playing this amp is dead silent. I now understand their phrase “completely black background”. Not a single hiss or hum. Also you don’t feel any pressure that you sometimes feel with other amps when nothing is playing and you turn the volume way up.

Biggest thing I noticed was the clarity and soundstaging. I’m hearing so many small details in songs that I never heard before. A tiny guitar or piano counter melody here and there, an egg shaker part, vibrato of a guitar. Also reverb and echo become really apparent and obvious.
All of a sudden the same tracks I’ve listened to countless times sounds so much more layered and complex than I’ve ever heard them.

Timbre sounds very natural. Guitar plucks and piano notes sounds simply divine.

Also the sub bass of the Atrium Closed went up a notch on the Aegis. Can’t even describe how good that sounds.

I swapped in a Senn / Drop HD6xx for about an hour. I have never heard a 6xx sound so good. If it was my first time hearing it I would believe it if I was told the 6xx cost $600. Crazy to experience how that headphone scales so well.

And to think it’s my first 8 hours with this amp. And the amp and tubes burn in I’m sure it will sound better!

So far this tube combo sounds so good I don’t even feel like tube rolling (for now anyway, I do hear Mullard EL37 whispering my name).

Am also saving up for ZMF Caldera and can only imagine how good that would sound on this setup.

The biggest thing that takes the cake though is the sense of satisfaction that I built this thing myself (with a lot of help from L0rdgwyn’s directions).

If anyone is on the fence about making one I say go for it. The satisfaction of building it with your own two hands combo-ed with the fact that this thing sounds amazing is a winner in my book.

IMG_1129.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #925 of 2,592
So far this tube combo sounds so good I don’t even feel like tube rolling (for now anyway, I do hear Mullard EL37 whispering my name).
I don't think there is a significant improvement switching from the GL KT66 to the Mullard EL37. What difference there is, is subtle and not necessarily better, just a little bit different flavor.

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #926 of 2,592
After tube rolling for a while, my current favorite combination is:

Mullard gz34 (black base, I’m not rich!)
Rca black glass 6sl7
Rca grey glass early production 6v6gt black plates

With a little shopping you can grab this tube combo for very affordable prices!

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #927 of 2,592
I spent most of today listening to the Aegis. Went with new production tubes as it was easier on the wallet for now.
Mullard GZ34, Tung-Sol 6SL7 and Gold Lion KT66. Fed by a Schiit Bifrost 2/64.
Listening for the most part done on ZMF Atrium Closed.
I mostly listen to Pop / Rock with some other genres thrown in here and there.

Holy cow! This setup sounds amazing!

First thing I noticed was that with no music playing this amp is dead silent. I now understand their phrase “completely black background”. Not a single hiss or hum. Also you don’t feel any pressure that you sometimes feel with other amps when nothing is playing and you turn the volume way up.

Biggest thing I noticed was the clarity and soundstaging. I’m hearing so many small details in songs that I never heard before. A tiny guitar or piano counter melody here and there, an egg shaker part, vibrato of a guitar. Also reverb and echo become really apparent and obvious.
All of a sudden the same tracks I’ve listened to countless times sounds so much more layered and complex than I’ve ever heard them.

Timbre sounds very natural. Guitar plucks and piano notes sounds simply divine.

Also the sub bass of the Atrium Closed went up a notch on the Aegis. Can’t even describe how good that sounds.

I swapped in a Senn / Drop HD6xx for about an hour. I have never heard a 6xx sound so good. If it was my first time hearing it I would believe it if I was told the 6xx cost $600. Crazy to experience how that headphone scales so well.

And to think it’s my first 8 hours with this amp. And the amp and tubes burn in I’m sure it will sound better!

Am also saving up for ZMF Caldera and can only imagine how good that would sound on this setup.

The biggest thing that takes the cake though is the sense of satisfaction that I built this thing myself (with a lot of help from L0rdgwyn’s directions).

If anyone is on the fence about making one I say go for it. The satisfaction of building it with your own two hands combo-ed with the fact that this thing sounds amazing is a winner in my book.

IMG_1129.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, glad you like it so much.

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #928 of 2,592
I’m sure L0rdGwyn is getting tenfold of what you are in satisfaction that his amp is a hit. Congratulations to L0rdGwyn for the gift you have given this community.
@L0rdGwyn - How are the DIY’ers on that site taking to your amp? Have they done some builds?

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #929 of 2,592
I’m sure L0rdGwyn is getting tenfold of what you are in satisfaction that his amp is a hit. Congratulations to L0rdGwyn for the gift you have given this community.
@L0rdGwyn - How are the DIY’ers on that site taking to your amp? Have they done some builds?

On SBAF? I'm not sure I haven't really checked, maybe somebody else knows.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #930 of 2,592
On SBAF? I'm not sure I haven't really checked, maybe somebody else knows.
He might be referring to the diy page where you posted the BOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back