AEDLE VK-1 Limited Edition Headphones
Aug 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #121 of 183
  At this price, not worth it. Very uncomfortable on the head (I start feeling pain after only 15~ minutes wearing these), small congested soundstage (compared to my senn hd600's and b&o h6), dark sounding. Bass is sloppy and too overemphasized for my taste (not tight and punchy) and treble is rolled off. Mids are average, but not what I consider to be 'audiophile quality'. Very sturdy construction, but I have no idea what the engineers were thinking when they decided that the ears cups would not be able to swivel. Cable is great though, looks much better than that piece of poo that came with my b&o h6. Looks are top notch...but overall I think this headphone is a clear case of form over function. I'm glad that I didn't buy these, instead a friend lent his pair to me over the weekend to compare with my other headphones. I would maybe buy these if they were priced the same as Beats, but alas, I fear that being associated with 'handmade' and 'made in France' are adding dollars to the price tag.

Note: reading their product info page it would appear that Aedle did not design the drivers themselves and instead sourced them from outside; from this fact alone it is obvious that they have no experience with headphones and automatically disqualifies them for a (future) purchase. 

That is evident, Chinese slavery is not to complare with social labour in France, I don´t mind paying extra for that if the whole is exellent. The german Mag "Ear In" give them a rave review, so might also be a matter of taste. They had no experience with headphones as a profession before, but everybody starts for the first time ever, un this context, I think this is an exellent product, and I know they are now working on an in ear set for 2015, so I expect great things to come from these youngsters.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #122 of 183
I am a happy owner of these headphones. Everything is about a personal taste and these suits me perfectly. Dark, very clean sound, quite balanced with perfect timbre, so very natural sounding.
What amp/dac are you guys using? Because everything needs to be matched for a perfect fit.
I love my Meridian Explorer, always was, and the Aedle fits with it perfectly, for me of course. So I have LG g pad 8.3 + Meridian + Aedle = perfectly musical sound on the go :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #123 of 183
Hey Guys,

Did anyone compare VK1 with the new B&W P5 S2 series? I am in the market for new portables and at first was ''eyeing'' on Ultrasone performance series but unfortunately they are quite big for my taste....

Any sound impressions and comparisons would be helpful....

Thanks

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #124 of 183
Hey, I am going to Selfridges on Friday or Saturday to try them and then I will let you know.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #126 of 183
I am having some in-ear pains from wearing IEMs too much.  Too much time on the plane lately.  As such, I needed a relatively cheap fix to give my ears a break from IEMs.  In walks the Aedele  headphone and the worlds shortest review-

The sound in one word- POLITE

Pros-
-fit an finish are fashionable and superb. They are simply works of art.
-Sound is polite and easy to tolerate over a long period of time. Like long flights....damn those long flights.
-Better than most portable phones in this price range.
-scales up to source better than expected.  ipod>>>>>>>AK240>>>>>>>ak240+HUGO=much better.

Cons-
-attenuated treble.  (similar to Shure iem tuning which I like better than analytical sound....but others may not)
-bloated upper-mid bass gives the impression of bass being slow. Unlike Shure SE846 which is amazing.
-limited cup rotation
-smallish soundstage.

In summation, they are above average for portable purpose.  I would buy them again to save my ear pain while I recover.  They don't match either the SE846 or the W60 but they are are half the price.  I think the beyer dynamic 

TIP- Look at the frequency response chart on the Aedle website.  If you are into EQ'ing, which I am normally not, the chart can help you dial it the rest of the way in. This might be the one headphone I prefer a little EQ fixing on.  Time will tell.

Cheers!

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #129 of 183
Turd is a bit fanboyish.  Head off to love your beats and bose now.

Now for some real objective criticism that may be equally hated.

I bought them for short term in ear relief while on a plane.  The problem is they suck at noise isolation.  I had to go back to my W60's 30 minutes into my flight.  

Problem- they are beautifully made and surpass apple, beats and boss  products by a mile.  

So  where do they fit?  My guess, somebody that want's fashion headphones to surpass beats and bose with sound. 

Where do they fail? somebody that wants a bargain over ear headphone with great sound. In that case I would recommend the beyer dynamic tesla 51.

Honestly, good IEMs like the 535, W40, SE846, and W60 surpass this on ear but don't have the fashion statement.  The W60 would be my pick of them all but if I am asked in 5 minutes time I might say I prefer the SE846.  Okay, I want both.

In summation... if you want fashion ahead of most...grab the Aedle and scoff at bose and beats owners.

If you want sound, the options widen deeply.  For in ear, I would recommend the SE846 or W60.  For thundering bass and beautiful sound, I would go for the SE846. For slightly less bass but more transparency up top I would for the W60 (some might think this phone is analytical).  Both crush this headphone by more than the ratio of the asking price.  

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #131 of 183
Also isolation on a plane is below average. I changed to my w60s half way through my flight due to chatty neighbors.

Well, they are on, not over, ear so to be expected without any kind of ANC. I've tried worse headphones on a plane for isolation. I felt Momentums were way worse, and the P7 not much better. The B&O H6? Not better either.. I'm using the VK1 right now on a flight.

The VK1 is a good pairing with the Sony NW-ZX1, so I really like the sound of them. I can see where if it's not a match for your source or it's not a good fit on you, you'll feel they are not great.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #132 of 183
Just got a pair of the Limited Edition (brown leather version). I like the voicing of the product, it is a good addition to the "small soundstage" headphones for reference when in the studio. My first pair of "bling bling" headphones. Maybe as I get older, the lamer I become, but what they heck, the sound won me over.

Headband could do with a nicer padding, but overall it is more comfortable than the Sennheiser HD25. Metal band means it can be loosened quite quickly for larger heads. For me, the fit is quite comfortable, except for the lack of padding on the band over my head, which is solved by moving the band a little over time. Better this than brain squishing tight cans. Comfortable for eye glass wearer.

So I guess I am one of those who love this VK-1. I don't understand the weird choice of company name and model number. But I like the sound, and that is all that matters. It sounds like a very nice pair of nearfield studio monitors.

Sound is subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison. This "****ty, small soundstage, no bass, rolled off treble, blah blah blah" headphones is sweet music to my ears, and I am all smiles listening to them, even before burning in..

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #133 of 183

After running it past the 100 hours, the sound is very "rounded". Everything sounded very nearfield monitor like, not hi-fi speakers. Not airy, or overly spacious, which is the soundstage that I personally prefer. The treble sit in nicely, bottom end is tight without sounding boomy. I would consider the VK-1 revealing and well, good recordings will be good, bad recordings are somewhat a little forgiving, though you can tell it is bad, of course.

Love the voicing more than ever. No sibilance issues even with Asian voice recorded materials, which is a nightmare with those cans that has a more brighter sound signature/voicing. Loving the VK-1 to bits in terms of sonic ability.

My biggest concern at the moment is the fact that I have to keep plugging in and unplugging the cable when I am packing and unpacking the headphones fearing that I will damage the connector while it is connected to the headphones while the soft carrying case sits in my bag while I am out and about. A hardcase would be good, and I will be out shopping for one online.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #135 of 183
I hate to be that guy who spoils everyone's fun but they don't actually measure that well. They look nice but I doubt they'll be anything more than FOTM.
FOTM??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back