AE-5 problems with SPDIF output
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hakka

Head-Fier
I have a Soundblaster AE-5, Schiit Modi3 & Magni3.

Just been doing some testing of the various components and discovered that the frequency response from the SPDIF on the AE-5 is all over the place.

gL16HJJ.jpg

The red trace is the AE-5 analog out into the magni, the other two are AE-5 SPDIF into Modi>Magni and AE-5 SPDIF into a Denon AVR. Measurements taken with the AE-5 in direct 2ch mode.

I've been playing with settings in windows and the soundblaster software but nothing makes any difference.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Looks like interference from the mains. I can see a peak at 60 Hz and every multiple of 60 Hz. Could be your cabling. Is it a proper coax digital cable? Otherwise it's probably coming from the ground plain. Is your kit properly earthed?

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Looks like interference from the mains. I can see a peak at 60 Hz and every multiple of 60 Hz. Could be your cabling. Is it a proper coax digital cable? Otherwise it's probably coming from the ground plain. Is your kit properly earthed?

I'm in australia, our mains run at 50hz. The cable between the soundcard and DAC is an optical toslink cable. All cables have been swapped out to eliminate them as the cause.

After reinstalling the SB driver and software it's measuring close to flat but I'm getting inconsistent results. I think it's either the SB hardware or software.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm at a loss here. Are you measuring a frequency sweep or white noise? Are you using an app to generate it or is this a feature of the sound card?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 7
I’m using a frequency sweep generated by roomeqwizard running on another pc. Input to the line in of the card, recording the preouts of the magni or denon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back