AE-1 impressions
Aug 9, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Hey EdipisReks, I was curious about the volumes you usually listen at. How loud do you go? I really cranked the AE-1 this evening and it sounded really good. It was the MegaDeath cover of Anarchy in the UK and it needed to go to eleven!
biggrin.gif

i don't listen very loud at all, really. i don't go past what would be 10 o'clock (if the AE-1 had a hashmark on the dial) with the CD3000s.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Was just making a general statement. However, I am just a bit skeptical that it "blows" it out of the water, but with your music and your gear that may be true.

well, it depends on what you are looking for, too. for what i'm looking for, there is no contest. i will go into what i'm looking for in more detail when i write the full review.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #33 of 69
EdipisRex,

Great review man! Being the first one to respond Ken about SR-71 depression, this thread like so many, took a weird twist which ended up mildly undercutting your observations by some. I am impressed that you didn't get angry about that and in a classy way defended your observations.

I found your review to be excellent and informative and very userful to those who are considering buying a portable amp. I really got a sense of how the amp sounds being an SR-71 owner. I am not going to go buy an AE-1 now (because I want a Singlepower
wink.gif
), but it was great to finally have somebody sit and actually write about what this amp sounds like, instead of what it looks like. I may need to sell my SR-71 to buy my Singlepower. When I consider another portable amp afterwards, I will strongly consider auditioning the AE-1. Thank you.

Cheers,
dshea

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
EdipisRex,

Great review man! Being the first one to respond Ken about SR-71 depression, this thread like so many, took a weird twist which ended up mildly undercutting your observations by some. I am impressed that you didn't get angry about that and in a classy way defended your observations.

I found your review to be excellent and informative and very userful to those who are considering buying a portable amp. I really got a sense of how the amp sounds being an SR-71 owner. I am not going to go buy an AE-1 now (because I want a Singlepower
wink.gif
), but it was great to finally have somebody sit and actually write about what this amp sounds like, instead of what it looks like. I may need to sell my SR-71 to buy my Singlepower. When I consider another portable amp afterwards, I will strongly consider auditioning the AE-1. Thank you.

Cheers,
dshea

thank you for your kind words!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 69
I just got mine, and it sounds SOO good!!!! the bass, the guitars... it just sounds great!

Aug 13, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
You are absolutely right. There is nothing wrong with SR-71. I feel that I have the Mercedes S class (SR-71) and BMW 5 series (AE-1). Different day, different music, different headset, etc...I prefer to drive the Mercedes or the BMW. Having said that, I don't know if Ray's Hornet will be a convertible or SUV
icon10.gif

Sorry to split hairs, sk138, but the BMW 5-series and the Mercedes S-class are ENTIRELY different classes of vehicles.

The BMW 5-series is built to be a mid-sized sports sedan, targed at the $45-$60k market. Its primary European competitors are the Audi A6 and the Mercedes E-class. The other two vehicles are considered more luxurious but the BMW is considered more "schport"-ing, as I understand how the Germans refer to the phenomenon.

The Mercedes S-class is the top-of-the-line luxury vehicle from DaimlerChrysler (not including the Maybach, which is itself a different brand). As such, its goal in life is to incorporate as much technology, amenities, and conveniences as possible for the most well-heeled Mercedes buyers. Though it has a respectable 0-60 time and a very impressive turning radius for car its size, it is by no means a sports sedan. It's designed to compete in the $70-150k market, against European competitors such as the BMW 7-seires, Audi A8, and the very curious Volkswagen Phaeton.

Anyways, since the ae-1 and sr71 are direct competitors in the same price class and market, the analogy should be one of the following sets, using one of the cars intended in your analogy:

{Headamp AE-1 : Ray Samuels SR71 :: BMW 5-series : Mercedes E-class} or
{Headamp AE-1 : Ray Samuels SR71 :: BMW 7-series : Mercedes S-class}.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i don't listen very loud at all, really. i don't go past what would be 10 o'clock (if the AE-1 had a hashmark on the dial) with the CD3000s.

Your Using this Amp with the Sony MDR-CD3000 Wow Just Wow
confused.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
*Still waiting for someone try it out with the SA5K.
biggrin.gif

why dont you be the 1st one to try it out?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
what the hell is that supposed to mean?

The AE-1 is a portable amp. I think he's refering to the fact that someone would be using the CD3000's portably.

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
The AE-1 is a portable amp. I think he's refering to the fact that someone would be using the CD3000's portably.

A possible reason but an assumption nevertheless but I'd like to see his explanation for the comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back