Advise on good mixing headphones
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anyday09

New Head-Fier
I made a post in another thread, but didn't recieve much response. So here it goes again.

I'v read many posts on this forum and have got a feeling of what headphones are good, but im still unsure on what i should get.

I want headphones that are good for mixing songs, in specific hip-hop/rap songs. I will be mixing all songs at home. This i feel might sound stupid and completely subjective, but i am looking for headphones which give TRUE sound, no spicing/softning/punching etc at certain frequencies, just play the song as it is. I am looking at spending around $150. open/closed headphones i don't mind either. i don't want headphones that need amps. It would be great if somebody could give me a shortlist of suitable headphones. Thank you.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 5
This sort of question comes up a lot on recording forums like Sound On Sound.

There are three headphones that seem to be recommended more than others for mixing: Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 600 and AKG K 701.

There was an article in Sound On Sound not long ago about mixing on headphones - you can read it HERE.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by anyday09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want headphones that are good for mixing songs, in specific hip-hop/rap songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are three headphones that seem to be recommended more than others for mixing: Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 600 and AKG K 701.

I think that headphone recommendations depend on the style of music. Even if you say that you want a neutral phone I would not try to mix hiphop with AKG K701 because they are too bass-shy and you would end up with an overpronounced bass in your mixes. The Sennheisers could also be too laid-back to get a good mix.

The OP also said that he doesn't want to buy an amp so neither of these would be an option.

I'm sorry that I can't recommend a specific phone myself.
I mixed hiphop with HD595 which are also not on the bassheavy side and couldn't manage without checking on other phones (AT ATH-M40fs) and speakers.

Regards,
Jonas

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 5
This is a topic that comes up from time to time on Hydrogenaudio.

First, no headphone is perfect (flat frequency response). That's just the reality of headphones.

The three that I've seen recommended a lot on that site are.

1. Sennheiser HD-600
2. Sennheiser HD-280 (somewhat light in the bass though)
3. Sony V6/MDR-7506 (not V600).

I assume the Sony MDR-7509 is also good. Reviews on amazon.com state that they are good for mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back