Advise for new headphones
Jan 22, 2014 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

moican

New Head-Fier
I 've searched the forum but still have questions. I 'm not familliar with tecnical data so i 'll ask for your help. I have an onkyo tx-sr875 and i need to know, witch impedance type of headphones i should look for. In fact, i was thinking of the sennheiser hd-380 pro.
Will they sound properly connected to my amp's headphones output? Thank you.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 25
hiya, welcome to head fi. It will be helpful for others to suggest you the headphone, if you can answer the following What is your budget? are you looking for open or closed design headphone? what genres of music do you usually listen?

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 25
Thank's for the responce. I usualy listen rock, electro, ambient and allmost anything from back the 80's and on. I see that headphones come with varieties of impedance (32,50,80...and even 600ohms) and i don't know between which, my amp will drive them properly. Since i can't take them home for a test, i should at least check headphones how do they sound, at a specific range of impedance. Am i getting it wrong?

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 25
how much are you willing to spend for your new headphone?

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 25
I was thinking about 100 euros or 130 $ as a fair budget for my pocket. But i might find something descent as a used and be of a better quality scale. I just don't know if my amp, limits the options regarding the impedance.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 25
And sorry, i mised it, open or closed, i don;t think it matters for me as long as i like what i hear from the ones i will choose depending on how they sound to me.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 25
have you read these?
http://www.head-fi.org/a/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 25
Yes i did, thank you. I am looking for open type circumaurals, if i find out what would match with my onkyo, with impedance criteria.
My music is in flac. I will connect my laptop to the onkyo, via hdmi cable.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 25
For your budget and the fact you want open cans you might want to check out some of Grado Offerings like the SR80 and SR125.  They are both a good value for the money.  Some folks find Grados too bright but I never have.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 25
Thank's Zeddun, but first, i need to know the impedance suitability with the amp i allready have. These are 32 ohms. Is this the right impedance for the onkyo or it doesn't matter at all?

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 25
Thank you Billybob. Do you believe that the sennheizer hd-380 pro, would fit ok? They are about 50 ohms. I have emailed onkyo, asking for the headphones out output specs, as the manual sais nothing, but still waiting, three days now.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 25
I agree with Billybob.  Any headphones up to 300 ohms are probably fine with your receiver.  I usually listen to my cans with my dedicated headphone/amp DAC but from time to time I use them with my Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver and they had no problems driving the Beyerdynamic T90s which are 250 ohms.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 25
Receivers often have high output impedances, which makes them best suited to high impedance headphones. I wouldn't draw the line at 300 ohms. 600 ohm headphones could work fine as well. It really just depends on the receiver. I'd be more concerned about avoiding low impedance headphones 

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 25
  Receivers often have high output impedances, which makes them best suited to high impedance headphones. I wouldn't draw the line at 300 ohms. 600 ohm headphones could work fine as well. It really just depends on the receiver. I'd be more concerned about avoiding low impedance headphones 

That's what I'm afraid of, the high impedance units are more expensive too, I think. So you think I should look for units over what ohm impedance, for a better match? Thanks by the way for the response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back