Advices for my SIII replacement (for music)
Apr 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IkuMiku96

New Head-Fier
I own Samsung Galaxy SIII (gt-i9300) and root them with Boeffla Kernel.

I don't switch my phone even my phone has wifi issue and charging issue. Because I'm pretty much fall in love with my phone for music.

I'm trying not to be sarcastic and really want to have alternative but no matter what phone i tried, my S3 is the best. I tried my dad's Sony Xperia XA and the volume is not as strong as my SIII even with volume max out. (using Superlux HD681).
even my dad tried to volume up with my headphone but not satisfy with the volume.

I tried Lenovo AH3000 tab, same result, mediocre volume at max (with Dolby disabled)

My SIII (with Boeffa Kernel), set with max out Boeffla sound audio output, somehow powers heavier headphone at decent volume at max. I tried Sony Z1R headphone with my phone, i can hear bass reproduction fine, albert at decent volume at max.
i even tried to be a bit selfish at headphone store and tried Beyerdynamic T1p, at max volume, the output volume is fine, i can sense bass reproduction. obviously with dedicated amp will sound better but what im trying to say is, my phone with Boeffla Kernel can output higher impedance headphone.

what i trying to believe, is that Boeffla Kernel remove the volume output limit of my S3 and can output more.

Right now (and while im typing), my phone has a major issue with charging, my phone won't charge properly. Last night, my phone was at 9% and i charge them overnight, spending almost an hour to just unplug and replug the usb till i get charging. I checked again another hour and get 25%. When i woke up, my phone wont turn on and i guess my phone runs out of juice... freaking dem it...

I know i should repair my phone but is an old phone (5 years) and i think i should change my phone. but for now, budget is an issue...

So, within my criteria below, any good phone that performs similar or greater than my SIII?
1. Not more than $200 (
1. Good audio output through audio jack (obviously)
2. Must not more than 5" (well, actually, is not the screen size but the phone's width. i dont want any phone wider tham my SIII. but S7's width is fine. i really want something like Z3 compact size)
3. Must have gyro (for VR entertainment)(i bought VR set but kinda disappointed that most phone do not supports them... my phone did but poor performance)
4. (optional) Should have Custom kernel support for overclocking, sound tweak, etc, similarly like Boeffla kernel

I found out Lenovo Vibe X3, K4 note, Meizu MX4 Pro, HTC One M8 are good but too big for me. Please dont mention iPhone series because i am very determined that my SIII is better than iPhone 4 series, iPhone 5 series (including s ver)

Galaxy S6 is good but still expensive... having a thought of getting Galaxy S5 but still to big for me...

Supposely i would want Sony Xperia Z1 compact or Z3 compact or Z5 compact but without dedicated DAC and my experience with my dad's Xperia XA, i felt disappointed

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 6
  I own Samsung Galaxy SIII (gt-i9300) and root them with Boeffla Kernel.

I don't switch my phone even my phone has wifi issue and charging issue. Because I'm pretty much fall in love with my phone for music.

I'm trying not to be sarcastic and really want to have alternative but no matter what phone i tried, my S3 is the best. I tried my dad's Sony Xperia XA and the volume is not as strong as my SIII even with volume max out. (using Superlux HD681).
even my dad tried to volume up with my headphone but not satisfy with the volume.

I tried Lenovo AH3000 tab, same result, mediocre volume at max (with Dolby disabled)

My SIII (with Boeffa Kernel), set with max out Boeffla sound audio output, somehow powers heavier headphone at decent volume at max. I tried Sony Z1R headphone with my phone, i can hear bass reproduction fine, albert at decent volume at max.
i even tried to be a bit selfish at headphone store and tried Beyerdynamic T1p, at max volume, the output volume is fine, i can sense bass reproduction. obviously with dedicated amp will sound better but what im trying to say is, my phone with Boeffla Kernel can output higher impedance headphone.

what i trying to believe, is that Boeffla Kernel remove the volume output limit of my S3 and can output more.

Are you in the EU (or bought the phones there)? If you are, and all the other phones are not rooted either?

If it's a yes to both, the reason why your rooted S3 goes louder is because it gets around the nanny state safety regulations that limits the volume output on the phones (the hilarious bit is that on the other side of the pond, they criticize the nanny state idea, but sue like hell when they get stupid). Think of it this way: Germany has autobahns with no speed limit, but buy anything mass market all the way up to a Mercedes with a supercharged V8, and it still has a speed limiter (then again, I would have bought such a car for overtaking trucks, not for trying to set speed records).

Right now (and while im typing), my phone has a major issue with charging, my phone won't charge properly. Last night, my phone was at 9% and i charge them overnight, spending almost an hour to just unplug and replug the usb till i get charging. I checked again another hour and get 25%. When i woke up, my phone wont turn on and i guess my phone runs out of juice... freaking dem it...

You need to replace the power management chip - I got mine fixed for around 40USD around here. Otherwise you can check iFix It but AFAIK it requires soldering (although they might have the chip in stock there).

I know i should repair my phone but is an old phone (5 years) and i think i should change my phone. but for now, budget is an issue...

So, within my criteria below, any good phone that performs similar or greater than my SIII?
1. Not more than $200 (
1. Good audio output through audio jack (obviously)
2. Must not more than 5" (well, actually, is not the screen size but the phone's width. i dont want any phone wider tham my SIII. but S7's width is fine. i really want something like Z3 compact size)
3. Must have gyro (for VR entertainment)(i bought VR set but kinda disappointed that most phone do not supports them... my phone did but poor performance)
4. (optional) Should have Custom kernel support for overclocking, sound tweak, etc, similarly like Boeffla kernel

I found out Lenovo Vibe X3, K4 note, Meizu MX4 Pro, HTC One M8 are good but too big for me. Please dont mention iPhone series because i am very determined that my SIII is better than iPhone 4 series, iPhone 5 series (including s ver)

Galaxy S6 is good but still expensive... having a thought of getting Galaxy S5 but still to big for me...

Supposely i would want Sony Xperia Z1 compact or Z3 compact or Z5 compact but without dedicated DAC and my experience with my dad's Xperia XA, i felt disappointed

Your budget's the biggest problem there considering how much phones cost now, and some carriers are removing subsidies on phones to sell cheaper SIM only plans.

Which, along with the possible phase out of the 3.5mm socket in the future, got me looking at the Fiio X5III. Sure, it's one more device to lug around, but if the 3.5mm socket gets phased out in favor of some inane way to use it (ie, the phone still needs a DAC chip anyway; at best, IEMs just need to come with USB-C direct cables). On top of that, it runs Android so it can run Neutron Music Player for its EQ, it has WiFi so I can use Spotify, it has a touchscreen so it has the same interface, and best of all, Fiio has the DK1 dock to keep it upright on the desk (I have my phone on a dock sending digital audio out) and the X5III has a 1.9v line out (eliminates the need for a DAC working with my phone).

In your case though if you really can't find a place to repair the S3 you might as well buy a smartphone for all other features save for audio, and then if you don't like it, get a Fiio X1.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Are you in the EU (or bought the phones there)? If you are, and all the other phones are not rooted either?

If it's a yes to both, the reason why your rooted S3 goes louder is because it gets around the nanny state safety regulations that limits the volume output on the phones (the hilarious bit is that on the other side of the pond, they criticize the nanny state idea, but sue like hell when they get stupid). Think of it this way: Germany has autobahns with no speed limit, but buy anything mass market all the way up to a Mercedes with a supercharged V8, and it still has a speed limiter (then again, I would have bought such a car for overtaking trucks, not for trying to set speed records).

Well, mine is not US ver and is international version (i guess the same as EU).
Only my phone is root.

Not sure if that is the case or is just my phone's volume is unlocked with Boeffla Kernel. But surely without the limit, my phone can somehow at least powering higher impedance can without noticeable distortion (guess is not really a volume boost)

You need to replace the power management chip - I got mine fixed for around 40USD around here. Otherwise you can check iFix It but AFAIK it requires soldering (although they might have the chip in stock there).

Hmm, guess so. I thought of having replace a new motherboard, too bad i9305 wont fit to my i9300... (2GB ram is what i need)

But i do kinda thought of changing phone since mine is too old. 1GB is a real bottleneck considering I'm using PlayerPro and PlayerProDSP pack that uses lots of ram...

Your budget's the biggest problem there considering how much phones cost now, and some carriers are removing subsidies on phones to sell cheaper SIM only plans.

Which, along with the possible phase out of the 3.5mm socket in the future, got me looking at the Fiio X5III. Sure, it's one more device to lug around, but if the 3.5mm socket gets phased out in favor of some inane way to use it (ie, the phone still needs a DAC chip anyway; at best, IEMs just need to come with USB-C direct cables). On top of that, it runs Android so it can run Neutron Music Player for its EQ, it has WiFi so I can use Spotify, it has a touchscreen so it has the same interface, and best of all, Fiio has the DK1 dock to keep it upright on the desk (I have my phone on a dock sending digital audio out) and the X5III has a 1.9v line out (eliminates the need for a DAC working with my phone).

In your case though if you really can't find a place to repair the S3 you might as well buy a smartphone for all other features save for audio, and then if you don't like it, get a Fiio X1.

Yeah, i cant afford to buy more than $200. Forgot to tell you that im totally fine with 2nd handed phone or refurbrished Grade B (and prefer those than 1st hand fresh).
*If i can find galaxy S7 refurbrished grade C below $200, im gladly take that phone

To tell the truth, i still want Sony Xperia Z1 Compact or Z3 Compact. plus, i already found the Sony Xperia A2 SO-04F (unlocked Japanese variant) selling for $92 for Grade B refurbrished. But, i do worry about the headphone volume output of the phone.
*Sony Xperia A2 SO-04F is similar to Z1 compact by hardware but was told as Z2 compact.
I do wish to get a headphone amp but i hate the idea of getting extra device carrying around with me. The Fiio X5 3rd is really good considering it is basically a music player as well. (if it got sim card slot as a mobile phone as well though).

i can fix my S3 but just feeling like to change my phone.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 6
  Well, mine is not US ver and is international version (i guess the same as EU).
Only my phone is root.

Not sure if that is the case or is just my phone's volume is unlocked with Boeffla Kernel. But surely without the limit, my phone can somehow at least powering higher impedance can without noticeable distortion (guess is not really a volume boost)

At this point the most likely reason is the root. You need to look up what effects that kernel has on whatever phones you look at. One other good resource is GSMArena as they do measurements on the headphone output. Narrow down your choices to those that measure well, then look up if the kernel makes them go louder.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 6

At this point the most likely reason is the root. You need to look up what effects that kernel has on whatever phones you look at. One other good resource is GSMArena as they do measurements on the headphone output. Narrow down your choices to those that measure well, then look up if the kernel makes them go louder.

Welp, me dont know much about finding kernels for other devices (i have no clue of kernels for Sony Xperia Z1 compact.)
The only device i ever root is my SIII, as mine was occasionaly for experimenting but turned out to be my best companion since i owned it. So hard to find phones that are in my criteria
(the HTC One M8 is really good, plus with Lenovo K4 note and Vibe X3 for superior amp and maybe DAC as well ... if they are smaller....)

I just ordered the Sony A2 i mentioned before. Well, i just gonna paired it with an amp then... Wonder if Fiio A1 is a good choice since its size is really small and decent price as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back