Advice
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MusicAddikt

New Head-Fier
Got Paradigm Shift A2 speakers for my computer and I absolutely love them.  I need to begin taking the next steps in upgrading my system though.

Right now I'm looking at needing a new sound card, new cables for my speakers, and a sub.

Looking at the HT Omega Claro Halo pci sound card currently

Not sure which sub to get

Not sure which cables to get

I guess I'm curious what will make the biggest difference?  What will provide the best "bang for a buck"?

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 8
If you are already looking at a $200 PCI card, you might just as well get a good external USB DAC/AMP instead.  Much better SQ and little to no interference from the computer.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Right now I'm looking at needing a new sound card, new cables for my speakers, and a sub.

Looking at the HT Omega Claro Halo pci sound card currently

Help us out with a lot more information so we can better help you :)

1) What's your overall budget for everything (sub and electronics)?
2) Do you intend to use this strictly for nearfield (at a computer) usage?
3) Do you want to plug in headphones to your setup, too? If so, what kind do you have/hope to get?
4) Any size limitations on the sub? How big a room is it going in?
5) How will you use this setup? Movies, gaming, music? If music, what kind do you prefer.

And don't put lots of money into cables. Those give the least amount of bang for your buck. I'm not saying by the cheapest things you can buy on Amazon. But premium RCA cables from Monoprice.com will do just fine for starting out. Wait until you get into this hobby more and have a chance to read the cable debates before putting a lot of money into them.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 8
Slightly off topic: the Amazon in house brand AmazonBasics actually makes pretty decent quality stuff on the cheap.  But cel is right, and you need to get the best bang for your buck since you are just starting out.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Slightly off topic: the Amazon in house brand AmazonBasics actually makes pretty decent quality stuff on the cheap. 

I agree. I've bought Amazon's USB and optical cables. Good quality for the money, and definitely no need to spend extra on digital cables :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I agree. I've bought Amazon's USB and optical cables. Good quality for the money, and definitely no need to spend extra on digital cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Gulity... I got the 7N 30 pin cable for my VERZA for $165... oh well.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Gulity... I got the 7N 30 pin cable for my VERZA for $165... oh well.

That's a lot. LOL

I'm not saying I don't spend any money on cables beyond something like Monoprice. I bought Zu Audio Mission 3.5mm to RCA off ebay (much cheaper from their Ebay store than their website) and use AudioQuest G-Snakes (Crutchfield has/had them cheap). The I have some Blue Jeans Cables. But I always buy with the idea that I may not hear any difference :)

Still, I think it's best for newbies to build their system with inexpensive (but good build quality) cables. Then play the cable game after one has all their basic components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back