Advice with Audioengine A2 (vs A5/Bose/M-audio)
Oct 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kush391

New Head-Fier
I am leaning towards buying the audioEngine A2. I have RealTek HD as my onboard and ASUS Xonar U1 as external USB soundcard. I was wondering whether A2 would be able to deliver its best with Xonar... (I hear a2 changes its sound considerably with the change in source.)
Also, I am leaning for a2 primarily because of space issues and desktop usage. I will living in hostel rooms for another 2-3 years and would want my speakers to last 5-6 years straight. 'Last' means they should be good enough, good enough so that I dont get jealous of reading a review of another product, maybe +/- $50 but miles ahead of them.
Keeping that in mind, I zeroed on a2. But am totally open to other products. Kindly help me in chosing better.

Also, one last thing.. about a5 vs a2, would I be missing a lot if I go with a2 considering the smaller hostel rooms..

Thanks

(products avaialble here are bose, soundsticks, logitech, m-audio monitor series, audioengine.. )
(klipsch, swan arent)
ps: i am already suffering with creative t-40. Fell into the creative marketing trap as they projected those as "true audiophiles".

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 16
If your main concern is space issues and desktop usage, the A2 would be perfect for you. 

I don't think you'd miss out on much at all - since the rooms are 'small,' having the A5 could be a disadvantage as you don't have the room to space them out.

If you haven't heard the A2 already, try and audition them - perhaps in a space similar to where you will be living; so you can see what they sound like. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah.. i would check them out shortly, although auditioning them is a problem.
Btw, my concern is regarding the soundcard.. I have the Xonar U1 usb from Asus. Would this soundcard be good enough for audioengine or do I need to upgrade..

Besides I keep on hearing on reviews from people owning both A5 and A2 that, one would get out of A2 very shortly and would look to upgrade the system to A5. Are the A2s that inferior to A5 ? Please let me know, if I should wait a little and look forward, straight to A5. I do realize though, no matter how much better A5 are, I would not be able to use them as long as I am in a hostel. It would be way too eccentric to have one of these while still in college !

Any faithful A2 listeners, please help. A5 people can make me jealous. :p

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 16
I do currently own the A2, and listened to the A5 before...
These 2 speakers are good, not the best available but good.
When I hear ppl say they are upgrading to the A5- it's usually because they want louder, and more bass. Their sound signature is quite similar. Also, their sound detail/stereo imaging is good, and if I were to upgrade from the A2, it'll be to the KRK Rokit5 or M-audio Bx5a.
I'll add that the KRK and Bx5a are the same size as the A5: and they are quite large for everyday usage...and especially for a tight space, it's just too big!

I've heard the Creative T10 and T20 before: they are quite good for the price.
You're unhappy with the T40?? Can I ask why? Cuz they are actually pretty good. With the A2, you may get smoother vocals and not as "fatiguing" trebble but for loudness, they are the same... I'll ad that the A2 can come across as "chesty" vocals: as it's bass is boosted and can cause this especially if they are put against the wall and even worse when they are in the corner of a small room.

I'd hang onto the T40 until you can afford more space- for the M-audio or Krk or whatever you like... As the the T40 do very well in smaller rooms.
As for marketing hype, no company uses marketing hype to
Push mediocre products as much as Bose... Bose product-quality make Creative's stuff look like pure audiophile equipment! This is a well known fact amongst headfiers- but I've also owned and tested their speakers... Recently, I purchased and returned 3 sets under their 30day satisfaction guarantee--- to confirm and qualify all the Bose bashing that is littered all over the net.
The 3 systems were; companion 2, 5, and MusicMonitors.
The only one missing out of the test was their companion3. I'm not going to get into all my test notes: but I did put these 3 systems side by side with my AudioEngine A2, and even the $500 MusicMonitors cannot compare in many ways. Main reason why Bose products are so bad is because none of them have dedicated tweeters- they use 2"paper woofers to do everything and uses thin Abs plastic* for the enclosures/Ldf-low density fiberboard for the sub enclosures: the subs measure 5.25" (lol) for the companion5 ($400!!).

Any questions, let me know!

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reply and for comparing the t40s.
As for the t40s, the excitement lasted for a short time. Was very happy with them initially. Not to mention, they sell for $280 here. Then after a few months, we got the Sony home theatre system, in our home. I hadn't listen to any hifi speaker system before and after listening to those, these t40s look very mediocre.  No bass, no excitement or the feeling of actually "being there".

To put in very simple terms, my requirements of an audio system is this: I want my speakers to be able to absorb me totally in music. They should make me want to switch of the lights and close my eyes. (to quantify it, clean reproduction, a bit of separation and the music should make a 3d feel rather than 2 dimensional. If all this happens, I *will* close my eyes. )
And for movies, the feeling of "being there" should come. Sony ones did the part of movies pretty well, although the music does looks very electronic, so its fun listening to it but its not absorbing.  And T40 sounded too weak, not that they dont go loud for the small rooms, but they dont fill it very well.
I bought Senn555 recently and its doing okayish for me. For some tracks they really do shine. And yeah, the imaging and separation is good which I did not found either in Sony or in T40.

Your questioning of t40 has put me into some thinking. I wonder if I am making unrealistic expectations from the speakers placed at the start of the audiophile segment or am I pushing the limits of 2.0 systems too far. I have been thinking A2s to be leagues ahead of t40. I guess, I'll have to reconsider my options then. Cant buy t40 sounding systems twice.

And yeah, I always used them with the onboard laptop speakers. Recently got the asus xonar USB, but it sounds the same to me with senn (havent tried the t40s with them). For the Senn its too forward that it causes fatigue. Its the second product that didn't turn out to be good after t-40s. And btw, t40 sell here for $280 and A2, av-40 for $210. Bx-5a and A5 for around $480. Too much of excise duty. :|

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 16
A2 vs A5:
Main differences = less bass (A2) and more bass (A5)
On that note, however, you should factor in bass port direction.
A2's bass is front ported, so this means it's ok for putting near to a wall (whether behind or to the side of the speaker. 
A5's bass is rear ported--if you don't have 6-12 inches clearance for walls behind the A5, its bass may sound too boomy.

Minor points of annoyance include:
A2's volume knob is behind the speaker
A5 only has 1/8" jacks (x2), whereas A2 has 1x 1/8" jack and 1x RCA jack.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 16
thanks.. just a few bits more.
Is the staging and instrument separation etc pretty same for the two.. ?
(Are these even there to a considerable amount, because with t40 I never understood these adjectives, happened only after senns)
Bass, trebles I can manage, but I dont want to miss too much on the sound signature itself.

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

To put in very simple terms, my requirements of an audio system is this: I want my speakers to be able to absorb me totally in music. They should make me want to switch of the lights and close my eyes. (to quantify it, clean reproduction, a bit of separation and the music should make a 3d feel rather than 2 dimensional. If all this happens, I *will* close my eyes. )
And for movies, the feeling of "being there" should come. 

Your questioning of t40 has put me into some thinking. I wonder if I am making unrealistic expectations from the speakers placed at the start of the audiophile segment or am I pushing the limits of 2.0 systems too far. I have been thinking A2s to be leagues ahead of t40. I guess, I'll have to reconsider my options then. Cant buy t40 sounding systems twice.

I believe that you are asking quite a lot from small, powered desktop monitors.  I would suggest setting a budget and absolute size limitation and work from there, otherwise you will most likely be frustrating yourself as you compare larger, more expensive speakers with smaller models.  If you have room for a larger speaker, then in light of your requirements, give it consideration.  Perhaps you might want to consider passive speakers and a small amp.  If size and space allow, you might have more options for consideration.

Good luck,

--Ken 

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 16
I think replytoken is correct. You may be expecting too much from a small system.
Even the a2 is designed as a form factor product first... For the a5 is geared more towards sound reproduction quality.
After listening to your expectations, the only speaker system I'd recommend for you is: KRK Rokit 5.
The M-audio bx5a may also suit your needs... But I don't have first hand experience with them, so I won't recommend them.
Both the a5 and a2 only have one amp... Whereas the bx5a and Rokit5 has 2 in each speaker (bi-amplified). So there are actually 4 amps in a pair of speakers. 4 vs. 1 in the audioengines/// in this case the numbers matter.
When I auditioned the Rokit5, they were magical. It works well for me.
They are choice systems for dj/recording artists... Acurate, wonderful sound that you can control the bass and trebble: towards your room and placing characteristics.
They can be found on sale for very decent prices!
Where are you located??
Good luck!

Ps.
The A2 speakers are good... But I don't think they are that much better than the t40's... And the A5 are louder, but not that* much better than the A2... So I'd spend the extra Money on the better alternatives and Also sacrifice some desk space... Make some stands??

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 16
I am from India. The problem here is that most of these brands are shipped from US and other European countries which shoots up the excise duty like anything.
KRK rocket is priced at $520 (min). Most speakers are sold at prices 30-40% above their price on amazon. Value for money thing, thus really goes into the dustbin !

I think these hefty monitors might prove too much for my small hostel rooms. I didnt elaborate but the rooms are this small: you put 1 single bed and a study table beside it. And that's all width I have got. I was leaning for a2 after seeing so many great reviews. Now that they arent much ahead of t40s, it doesn't make sense to have another $300 product. Seems I'll have to wait for sometime. Would come to the US for masters next year, maybe then. And with Amazon prices.

Thanks btw. I have got a good picture now with monitors and speakers.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Thats not available here Ken. I guess for this, I'll have to make an international order.. :|
I think I'll wait an year with t40 + senn555 before I move in for a5/bx5a/krk5. I hope one of these three would be good enough for my needs.

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Kush, have you tried to find instrument shop where they sell guitar, violin, studio mixer and monitors? I recently bought a pair of Yamaha HS50M from a shop like that in my country with not much price difference compared to  US price. I don't think you'd like the Yamaha I bought though, I think you might prefer Mackie MR series, KRK Rokit or similar. I prefer my music to be crystal clear with good stereo imaging and these Yamaha does well, albeit they have an even less pronounced low end compared to the T20 without equalizer. You can fix the low end of these Yamaha with their sub, to make these Mackie or KRK sounds cleaner and clearer would be hard. About the BX5a, they lacks midrange and its high and low is not as well controlled and smooth as the Yamaha, IMO. Although I would like them better than these Mackie or KRK.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Finally.. after a long time I was able to audition all of these. M-audio av40, bx5a, rockit5 & rockit6. (Am not sure if they were burned-in)
I realized I was having unrealistic expectations, something which I think 2.1 speakers would never deliver. I would like to add that I am already tired in my search.
Btw very recently, I was browsing through Sony/Philips sites looking for a pair of sleeping earbuds and I stumbled on these home theatre systems. Being a student and having a hostel life till now, I never really evaluated any of the home theatre systems. And now that I searched for them, I found stupendous philips systems the cost of the A2. And downright mind blowers at the cost range of A5s. 
http://www.philips.co.in/c/home-theater-systems/14686/cat/

These systems makes me wonder the need we are fretting out so much on computer speakers. One, I dont see the sheer brute pumping bass(not exaggerated recessing the rest of frequency range, but tight, low and strong) and fidelity that the home theater system possess as against studio monitors and second, these systems must have great soundcards built-in them. The only downside I see is the simple user interface a laptop/PC provide for watching/switching between movies and songs. Sorry, for troubling you all but I am leaning towards these systems. Having seen these, I think I will waste my 10k (not in $ but in rupees) bucks for 2.0 systems that would only be 40% of these.
I really dont see the point of buying a PC speaker now. And paradoxically, there is burgeoning market for these. Am pretty sure, I went somewhere wrong in my judgement. Please let me see that I am missing in the picture. Apologies for my naivety.
Thanks.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 16
AFAIK, soundbars are meant to compete with surround sound setups. Comparing soundbars to actual 5.1 or 7.1 systems, you trade convenience for true surround sound--that is to say, soundbars will attempt to simulate surround sound, but they may not achieve a real sense of surround sound.

Comparing 2.0 systems to Soundbar Systems:
Also note that soundbar systems probably have a subwoofer. These are sometimes wired, sometimes they are wireless, but obviously when there is a subwoofer, it's not fair to compare the amount of bass a soundbar system can produce vs. the amount a 2.0 can produce.

Depending on your room, a soundbar may be less convenient than having 2 bookshelf speakers. For one thing, you can place bookshelf speakers further apart, creating a more even spread of sound (although you may lose some accuracy in terms of imaging). But again, this depends on your room and what you want to achieve out of your system. And, overarching all this discussion, is the possibility that soundbars do not necessarily sound inferior to 2.0 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back