advice with a low voltage cmoy for low impedance headphones
Sep 9, 2010 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stoneshadow

100+ Head-Fier
hello!
after a couple of basic cmoys with a opa2134...at last i have the chance to get some better parts...someone on head-fi is disposed to send me some...as in my country i can't find...and i want your opinion..wanna know what to buy

my opa2134 cmoy was pretty basic except i was using  2 x 9v battery, gain of 5.7, 470mF for the power supply and 1mf input caps and r5 of 47 ohm as i used it with low impedance headphones...i liked how it sound...but want un upgrade and use it with lower voltage battery

here's what i wanna do...
i wanna keep al the settings before the gaine/the capacitors value but with a ad8397 as opamp and a buf634 and a tle2426 instead of 220k resistors shown here :                             but with only one 9v battery

how will it work ?...i wanna use it with low impedance headphones as audio technica m50...grados sr80...etc
or should i just use a tle2426 and a ad825(it works well with low voltages) in a basic cmoy ?
or could u sugest something else beside making other amp like pimeta/mini3 )
advanced thx
cheers

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Grado SR80?

Do you mean low impedance as in abnormally low as in likely to have special current considerations, or do you mean low impedance as in normal modern consumer-grade headphone impedance as in "not high impedance"?

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Grado SR80?

Do you mean low impedance as in abnormally low as in likely to have special current considerations, or do you mean low impedance as in normal modern consumer-grade headphone impedance as in "not high impedance"?

i mean for 32/40/60 ohm/consumer-grade headphones...i heard that for them i need i higher output opamp...but don't need high voltage as 300 ohm headphones

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Sep 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Assuming your op amps will remain stable go with lower gain. Voltage gain of 5.7 is pretty high for low impedance headphones. Low impedance headphones dont need much voltage swing to play at scary volume levels. Try gain in the 1.5-2 range - if nothing else you get more spin out of the pot, which gets you into a section that is almost certainly better matched. 

If you are going for opamp + buffers I would lean towards the Pimeta. Multiloop feedback has soooo much cool going for it that its hard to describe. You can always disable the multiloop on the Pimeta too. The fact that 99% of what you are describing is on a PCB makes it very attractive though.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 11
You might want to consider dropping the 9 volt battery in favour of AA cells.
The typical 9 volt Alkaline battery does not have much current and are
expensive. Four AA cells will give you more current and more run time
while costing you less.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 11
What exactly is the point of R5 ? No voltage accross it, no Ohm's law to play with
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
What exactly is the point of R5 ? No voltage accross it, no Ohm's law to play with
frown.gif

In the Pimeta V2 its part of the multiloop feedback thing.

IIRC it is there to set the "local" feedback around the op amp to a high value, and then it multi-loops through the buffer to set the total system gain. I could be wrong. If you go to the part selection page Tangent links to the jung multiloop article. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back