Advice when using expandable sleeving/braided nylon
Jan 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shadesbass

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm just about to order some expandable sleeving for a headphone recable, but the different diameters available are a little confusing and I was hoping someone could give me some tips...
I was going to use this stuff as it seems reasonably priced and is available in small quantities.

I require two different diameters, for above and below the Y-split. The cable below the Y-split is a shade under 8mm in diameter. The cable above the Y-split is constructed from 2 cores of 2mm diameter cable per side, so the diameter will be a maximum of 4mm.

The stuff I linked to above state an 'advised range of use' and a maximum diameter (e.g. PET4 = 2-7mm, max 9mm). Should I be aiming for the lower end of the advised scale, or somewhere in the middle?
I want a relatively dense braid to protect the cable (hence avoiding the upper range of specification), but not so dense as to make the cable too stiff.

Any thoughts on the matter would be gratefully received.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Bump.
So nobody has used this stuff before?!
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your reply. I want as little as possible of the wire to show through, so that as little as possible is exposed to potential damage (not that I intend to treat my headphones roughly of course, but one can never be too careful).

I guess my real question is whether the braided sleeving has to be stretched to achieve the specified minimum diameter, or whether the minimum diameter is measured when the sleeving is under no force.
If it is the latter case, then I can safely assume that the 3-9mm or 4-11mm sleeving will be sufficient for above the Y-split, whereas if it is measured when stretched, the 2-7mm sleeving would be more appropriate, since under no force the minimum diameter would probably measure closer to the desired 3-4mm.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 7
You are probably going to need to get 2 diameters. The reason for this is that the thicker wire will "open" the braid more, so you will see more of the wire underneath. Then if you use the same stuff after the y-split, it won't be as open and you won't see as much of the wire.

Aim for the middle of each range. So for the 8mm cable, get the 4-11mm and for the 4mm cable get the 2-7mm stuff.

Use a hot torch to seal the cut end of the braid to stop it unravelling. If you are using heatshrink to cover the braid ends, you will need to dress the ends neatly because it will show through the heatshrink when you're done.

Really this stuff is more decorative than anything else - if you are running 4 wires in a twist, it will help keep them all together, but 99 times out of 100 the insulation on the cable will be more than good enough to protect the wires inside.

Fran

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Many thanks for your reply Fran.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are probably going to need to get 2 diameters. The reason for this is that the thicker wire will "open" the braid more, so you will see more of the wire underneath. Then if you use the same stuff after the y-split, it won't be as open and you won't see as much of the wire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I require two different diameters, for above and below the Y-split.

Gotcha covered on that one.
wink.gif

Quote:

Aim for the middle of each range. So for the 8mm cable, get the 4-11mm and for the 4mm cable get the 2-7mm stuff.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.

Quote:

Use a hot torch to seal the cut end of the braid to stop it unravelling. If you are using heatshrink to cover the braid ends, you will need to dress the ends neatly because it will show through the heatshrink when you're done.

I was going to seal the ends with a soldering iron, but I suppose I could break out my creme brulee torch...
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip about the braid ends. The Y-split will be double-heatshrinked, so I'm hoping the outer layer of heatshrink will hide any imperfections in the braid. The other braid ends will obviously be inside the headphones or the jack plug.
I'm hoping to use one of these for the outer layer, into which I can cut two holes in the top for the two cables going to each earcup. That way I can angle them slightly apart.

Quote:

Really this stuff is more decorative than anything else - if you are running 4 wires in a twist, it will help keep them all together, but 99 times out of 100 the insulation on the cable will be more than good enough to protect the wires inside.

Fran

It is mainly there to provide a neat look, as you say, but it will also provide an extra (albeit thin) layer between the cable and any potential sharp pointy things.
Below the Y-split already has an outer insulation over all four cores (and the braided shield) but the cable pairs above the Y-split will be more vulnerable, so I'd like to get the PVC braid as dense as possible in that section.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Couple extra suggestions.

I really prefer the multi-filament nylon over the standard Techflex. It is a lot more supply with a much denser weave. No bit of the cable shows through. When using it you pretty much need to get the exact size for the cable being used because it doesn't expand nearly as much as the standard stuff.

As for heat shrink no matter what cable you use I also suggest getting it with heat activated adhesive. It keeps the Techflex from pulling out and increases the durability and longevity of the cable.

For cutting it I like to use a very sharp razor blade or scissors. If you make a nice clean cut you can take a normal lighter and quickly run the lighter cross the fresh cut to seal it up without making a big mess like a hotknife can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back