Advice Wanted: Canalphones and Home Headphones
Sep 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bfguilford

New Head-Fier
Well, here's another guy heading down the slippery slope at Head-Fi. Thanks to what I read here, I picked up a pair of KSC-75's for my iPod (and like them). However, I do a fair bit of travelling on trains and planes (got the automobiles part all figured out already
icon10.gif
). I've noticed that I need to crank the volume up too much for my own good (and, judging from the looks I'm getting from others around me, for their comfort, too). So I want to get a pair of canalphones for travel and a set of headphones for my home system (driven by my old faithful Onkyo TX-870 amp). My total budget is in the $300-350 range. Based on other threads here, I'm on the verge of ordering:

- Super.fi 5 Pro's for my unamped iPod (don't want an amp... I already carry way too many things around with me).

- AGK 240's for my home setup (question on whether to go with the M or S, since I'll be using the Onkyo to drive them).

My musical taste is all over the place... I listen to old rock (Stones, etc), blues (Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc), Clapton, Steve Earle, The Band, sprinkled with some folk, country, classical. I don't listen to heavy metal, hiphop, rap, electronic... I'm an old guy!

Any feedback (here's one place it's a good thing) or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfguilford
Well, here's another guy heading down the slippery slope at Head-Fi. Thanks to what I read here, I picked up a pair of KSC-75's for my iPod (and like them). However, I do a fair bit of travelling on trains and planes (got the automobiles part all figured out already
icon10.gif
). I've noticed that I need to crank the volume up too much for my own good (and, judging from the looks I'm getting from others around me, for their comfort, too). So I want to get a pair of canalphones for travel and a set of headphones for my home system (driven by my old faithful Onkyo TX-870 amp). My total budget is in the $300-350 range. Based on other threads here, I'm on the verge of ordering:

- Super.fi 5 Pro's for my unamped iPod (don't want an amp... I already carry way too many things around with me).

- AGK 240's for my home setup (question on whether to go with the P or S, since I'll be using the Onkyo to drive them).

My musical taste is all over the place... I listen to old rock (Stones, etc), blues (Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc), Clapton, Steve Earle, The Band, sprinkled with some folk, country, classical. I don't listen to heavy metal, hiphop, rap, electronic... I'm an old guy!

Any feedback (here's one place it's a good thing) or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Well the "Super.fi 5 Pro's" look to be a solid choice.

AGK 240's - believe the (s) version is the 55 ohm version of the headphone. The (DF) is going to sound better if driven correctly. If you are driving it with an Onkyo Stereo then you don't really need the (s) version.

If I standed in the AGK family - I would go with the AKG K 501. I think going to sound better but can't be powered good without an amp.

But being that you listed quite a bit of rock & blues, I would think a Grado (HF-1) might suit you better. Could see if a pair is used in the forum. Grado 225's or Grado 325i's.

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Which will you use more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back