Advice Wanted: Amp For Beyerdynamic T1
Mar 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 21
@monsterzero thanks for making me aware of the disadvantages of OTL amplifiers. Should I decide on upgrading to a different amp, I will no longer consider OTL amps, as they are too exclusive. I have never tried tube rolling, althought from what I've read in the past, selecting the right tube can make quite a lot difference. It seems to be fun to do as well, finding out which tubes would match well with a particular headphone. I'll start reading into tube rolling, as it seems to be quite an interesting topic.

Tube amps seem to be great with the T1 indeed, the Lyr 2 is really enjoyable with it. Although I can't help wondering how it would improve with a better amp lol.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 21
  @monsterzero thanks for making me aware of the disadvantages of OTL amplifiers. Should I decide on upgrading to a different amp, I will no longer consider OTL amps, as they are too exclusive. I have never tried tube rolling, althought from what I've read in the past, selecting the right tube can make quite a lot difference. It seems to be fun to do as well, finding out which tubes would match well with a particular headphone. I'll start reading into tube rolling, as it seems to be quite an interesting topic.

Tube amps seem to be great with the T1 indeed, the Lyr 2 is really enjoyable with it. Although I can't help wondering how it would improve with a better amp lol.

I read this site...lots of good info,the guy who runs it knows his stuff.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
  I would say with the T1v2 the step is incremental, yet the amp has more to offer for other phones (future proof ?).  ​The Sennheiser HD 650 balanced from the Mjolnir 2, with brighter tubes, is a great combo and has me interested in trying the HD 800S.

I have the Gungnir MB which runs balanced to the Mjolnir 2 and single ended to the Lyr 1, Valhalla 2, Asgard 2 and a vintage Pioneer SA 9800.  For me the Pioneer makes the T1v2s sound great, but I did not enjoy a Sennheiser HD650 with it or any of my lower ohm phones.

I may upgrade the Gungnir MB to the Yggdrasil someday, I will keep the Mjolnir 2.  I cannot say if this is a bottleneck, but unless Schiit or someone offers a better hybrid Tube Amp option at Yggdrasil or less pricing, I see nothing to make me want to replace the Mjolnir 2.

The 6SN7 tubes will not work in the Lyr 2 or the Mjolnir 2.  They may be used with adapters in the Lyr 1, Valhalla 2 (I do not) and the Vali 2.  I find 6SN7 tubes to be detailed, open and balanced.

I will quote myself from another thread " Never will I say that 6SN7 are the best or even better than other tubes, just another "Ain't this Schiit fun" rabbit hole. That I am enjoying :) "

I just purchased a used DarkVoice 336SE which runs one 6SN7 as pre and one 6AS7 as power.  This is an inexpensive OTL amp for which the T1v2 (and T90) should work well and I get to play with the "larger tubes".

In the end, spend for what makes you happy and satisfies your ears.

YMMV,
r2

Is there much of a difference in sound qualiity between the SE and balanced connection? I've heard rumors of Schiit working on a TOTL tube amp some time ago, it should be quite interesting if this would turn out to be true. Currently I'm looking at the Mjolnir 2 and Woo WA22. The WA22 looks like it will be a good pairing with the T1 and it seems to be superior to the Mjolnir. But a lot more expensive as well, although it is just as versatile. It makes me wonder whether the WA22 will be worth it in the end.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #19 of 21
Other than volume, I do not get much of a difference, maybe a touch of bass fullness and separation, but that could be the volume difference.

I find tube rolling to make a bigger difference than SE vs Balanced.

I would love for Schiit to bring a TOL tube amp using "big" tubes, no solid info on this reality.

Never heard the Woo, it looks wonderful and uses some great tubes, it must sound extraordinary.  Transformer output tube amps are the "real" thing.

I am happy now, and will wait to see what Schiit has, could just be the made in USA thing for me.  However, as I mentioned, China stuff is in my stable already.  I would not kick a Woo out of the house if one dropped in.  For me more headphones and tubes come next.

Good hunting and JMHO,
r2

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 21
  Other than volume, I do not get much of a difference, maybe a touch of bass fullness and separation, but that could be the volume difference.

I find tube rolling to make a bigger difference than SE vs Balanced.

I would love for Schiit to bring a TOL tube amp using "big" tubes, no solid info on this reality.

Never heard the Woo, it looks wonderful and uses some great tubes, it must sound extraordinary.  Transformer output tube amps are the "real" thing.

I am happy now, and will wait to see what Schiit has, could just be the made in USA thing for me.  However, as I mentioned, China stuff is in my stable already.  I would not kick a Woo out of the house if one dropped in.  For me more headphones and tubes come next.

Good hunting and JMHO,
r2

I do believe Woo is made in USA...they make very solid excellent amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back