Advice Required
Dec 17, 2009 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all!

I need some advice please!

I recently traded my Cowon D2 DAB 4gb, spare parts, cases, and 3x 8gb class 6 sdhc cards for a pair of Denon D1001's, and a MiniBox-D. I thought the deal was better on the other persons end, but wasn't too bothered.

I received the stuff eventually, listened to the MiniBox for a while, 20mins maybe, and decided I liked it, but had to sell it to fund the Icon Mobile I wanted... it went flat as I was listening. I had something else to get on with, probably school work! So, I boxed it up, and it sat on my desk for a few days until I had found a buyer.

I sent it out in a hurry, and forgot it was low on power once I'd sent it. It arrived soon after. But, the new owner is experiencing problems with it. It won't hold a charge. The charging indicator light doesn't even light up. I suspect a faulty usb cable, however, as it is non-standard we can't try another easily. It could be the battery, but, i'd imagine the indicator light would light even if the battery had reached the end of it's life?

A new battery from Head Direct is $30, it's 4 500mah Ni-H cells. Could probably get them elsewhere for less though.

A cable would be a USB cable, and a connector from radioshack/maplins, however to determine the cable, we need to see some power reaching the amp...

If there are contacts open on the power connector on the amp, we could meter them when plugged into the USB port to charge, and see if we get power. I suggested to the new owner that Radioshack would probably be able to help him figure it out, and if it only turned out to be the cable, the parts would be in the store. Pinout would be the only problem, but the connector on the end of the USB cable may be simple, I haven't inspected it. Anyway, the new owner doesn't have time to trouble shoot, and wants a refund, which I can give him in a week or two, but car expenses are draining my bank account as soon as it fills up at the moment!

I contacted the original owner, who I traded with, and he says it worked fine for him... But a lot of people would in his situation. I'm not blaming or accusing him, but I don't know what to believe. I'm a bit gutted, as it's probably not even worth $20 broken, and i've lost the shipping cost to the US, and the cost to return it as well.

I guess I have no other option other than to refund the original owner when i have the funds and repair the amp out of my own (tiny!) pocket, or write it off? Means I won't be able to fund a new DAC, STILL! Mine is broken and has been for weeks. Packed up as I sold the MiniBox, and the funds from it were going to pay for a new DAC.

What is your opinion on this? What should I do? I know I should have tested it fully before i sold it, so I presume it's my fault, and my loss? I didn't even touch the cable, so I didn't break it if it worked for the previous owner, and I didn't try to charge it, so I didn't blow it up either!

Other option is, it was damadged in shipping, but I don't see how. It's very solid. Cable is broken, or battery is shot, or it's fried... Hopefully not fried, or i've lost out big time. I won't even be able to repair it.

Please give me some advice if you can!

I'm really worried about all of this. I don't want to marr my feedback, or anyone else's who is involved in this, but i'm unsure what to do, and gutted. I've lost about $80 all in as it stands right now, and it's a lot to me right now.

Thanks in advance, friends.
smily_headphones1.gif

Matt

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Baines,

$80 or $80,000, it's all relative.

Your trade with the original owner has nothing to do with how you treat the person you sold it to. You seem like a reasonably intelligent person. Your story calls for common sense. You don't need advice from us. And don't worry about the silly feedback thread. It will take care of itself if you do the right thing.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 9
i thnk you would be on shakey ground to accuse the original owner if you didint really test it enough to be sure. it could be that it was damaged in transport and if so then thats a postal claim.

could be that something dislodged if it was shaken. has the new owner opened and had a look?

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
What is up with the post in the UK. I shipped an amp there and it still hasn't arrived( I am afraid It is lost), and will have to refund the buyer too. So lame.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Claim.

I don't know who is to blame for this being damaged tbh! Could be the person I traded with, but I doubt it... The new owner could have fried it and be telling porkies, but again, I doubt it. I guess it was either Royal Mail, or US mail.

Who knows, your amp could have been lost by US post, or Royal Mail.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 9
I always do my best to test the gear before I ship it out. That way if there are no damages to the box in transit I know I shipped a working item and if damaged it was by the carrier or misuse by the buyer. If the buyer does not inform me of damage to the box and can not provide pictures nor help during the claim I will not do a refund since the actions on the buyer are at best dubious in nature.

Besides the items are used and sold as is, a working unit today could go bad tomorrow all on its own. I have had it happen to me recently w/ a K1000 and I did not contact the seller (recent transaction) requesting a refund. Lumps come and go all the time and we live with them.
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I will be refunding the buyer and claiming on the postal insurance this week. It may have packed up, or it may have been broken all along, or the new owner may have killed it, but I doubt the latter two, and since something in the box got damaged, it obviously took a hit, so the amp may well have been damaged at that point too - so i'll claim for it.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back