Advice required for high-end audio options.
Nov 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OpenFerret

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently just using my onboard audio on my gaming rig and I'm looking to move to using a decent set of headphones and visualising surround sound.

The headphones I've been looking at range from the AKG Q701's to the BeyerDynamic DT-880's or that sort of price range. (Up to £300/350 GBP)

I mostly play FPS games, so hearing everything around me in a competitive manner is important as well as enjoying the full immersion experience.

What sound cards will I be able to run from a PCIe slot on the motherboard are open to me that can drive this sort of level of headphones and do I need to consider an amp as well?  I know a lot of the newer ones claim to be able to support 600 Ohms which seems to be enough, but any advice would be greatly received.

Also, does it matter if the sound card says if it can only support 5,1 surround?  Is 7.1 a lot better?

Many thanks all!

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I would guess speaker output is limited to 5.1 or 7.1, but I would think that Headphones Surround Sound does not have to follow that  limit.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) sound card, $100 (Euros?)
Check out the AKG K612 Pro headphones, 160 Euros.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 5
  I would guess speaker output is limited to 5.1 or 7.1, but I would think that Headphones Surround Sound does not have to follow that  limit.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) sound card, $100 (Euros?)
Check out the AKG K612 Pro headphones, 160 Euros.

Many thanks for the reply.  One more question, do I need to consider an amp as well like a fiio E9 or something similar?

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 5
  Many thanks for the reply.  One more question, do I need to consider an amp as well like a FiiO E09K or something similar?

The SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) comes with a headphone amplifier built in.
The SB-Z's headphone amplifier may not be technically as good as the E9/E09K amplifier.
But I'm thinking it will be good enough for now.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 5
  The SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) comes with a headphone amplifier built in.
The SB-Z's headphone amplifier may not be technically as good as the E9/E09K amplifier.
But I'm thinking it will be good enough for now.

The Sound Blaster Z it's advertised to drive up to 600 ohm headphones, but it doesn't seem to power them properly. 

Stay on the 300 ohm limit just to be safe. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back