Advice requested - upgrade coming from HD25-1’s/Shure E5’s?
Nov 15, 2005 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jonspanki

Head-Fier
Hello all,

My apologies for posting in two forums - I wasn't quite sure which one this post best fit into.

I’m looking to add that next little something special to my audio gear setup but am unsure what to buy.
I was currently considering buying either a new pair of headphones, or an amp (or possibly both, if it’s warranted) and wanted to seek some advice on what the best choices would be. I’m by no means discerning or picky enough to classify as a true audiophile, but I am a musician and am fussier than the average person when it comes to sound.

Current gear:
iAudio i5 2gb
Roland TD-20 V-drums

These have either of the two plugged into them:
Sennheiser HD25-1
Shure E5 (with either Comply or bi-flange tips fitted)

When listening to music:
- I listen to R&B, Trance, Rock/Pop and some Jazz/Acid Jazz/Fusion.
- I don’t usually listen to classical or acoustic tracks
- I appreciate clarity when I listen, however at times I do find the Shure E5’s a bit too rolled off, and the HD25’s a bit too shrill.
- I love my bass and would miss it sorely should I be left without it/with less of it, but also appreciate the difference between tighter bass and sloppy, bloated bass. Ideally, I would like lots of deep bass, which is clear and tight sounding.

What I’m really asking is - what would be the best addition to my audio setup? A good upper range pair of headphones (open headphones?) or an amp?

My worry is that I will buy the amp, plug it in and think, “that was a real waste of money for the difference it makes…” I would hate to buy the amp and regret it on the basis that I would be able to hear more of a difference had I purchased the headphones.
Is the effect of amp really THAT noticeable? I mean… my player can already drive the E5s and the HD25-1’s fine, to deafening volume as it is. What other difference would an amp make? Does it actually make a real difference to the sound quality?

Should I decide to pick up a pair of headphones, what would be some of the best choices around, given my preferences above? HD650? HD600?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can throw my way!
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 4
I used to own both the HD25-1 (have you upgraded the cable? I was surprised how big the difference was) and Shure E5c. They're both fine phones, but honestly, I think both are pretty flawed. I know exactly what you mean about the HD25-1 being too shrill and E5c being rolled off. I don't consider either to be top tier cans - they're somewhere in the middle. Better than consumer cans (esp the E5c) but not a real "hi-fi" experience. You're in for a real treat when you try other headphones.

Personally, I think you should upgrade headphones. HD650 is an excellent and obvious place to start. You're still pretty early in your can hunt - though your post indicates your ears are more informed than mine was - so it's hard to say what might be your sound without you actually hearing different sounds. There are more than a few other aussies hereabouts, I'm sure they'd be glad help you listen to cans. Other suggest cans are the usual - a good Grado, Sony, audio-technica, BeyerDynamic and AKG.

An amp will help both the HD25-1 and Shure E5c meaningfully. I really liked my SR-71 with them. But at the end of the day, for me the electronics is about getting your headphones to sound as good as they can sound, but find headphones you like first.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info! Most helpful. Could you please help clarify a few things below?

- Which cable did you upgrade the HD-25's with, and how much did it cost? Was it really a day-and-night difference? In other words, is it really "must have" upgrade for HD-25 owners, or would I be better off putting the cash towards a new pair of headphones or an amp?

- Specifically, would you be able to help suggest some high-end headphone that would suit my musical tastes and electronic drumming requirements as listed above? I will continue to look through the forums, but any pointers in the right direction are sure helpful! So far, I've only for the HD650/600 on my short list.
Are there any CLOSED earphones that are considered "high-end" while still providing good isolation? Or are the open headphones generally much better sounding?

- I was looking at buying one of Xin's new SuperMini amps for US$200. Being that it is cheaper than some of the other amps available (while seemingly outclassing them, as well) do you think an amp purchase is worth the difference in sound in terms of my existing gear?
(I might need to spring for an amp soon anyway if i decide to get a pair of phones like the HD650 which apparently benefit a lot from an amp)

Thanks a lot for any advice you can spare the time for!
jon.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonspanki
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info! Most helpful. Could you please help clarify a few things below?

- Which cable did you upgrade the HD-25's with, and how much did it cost? Was it really a day-and-night difference? In other words, is it really "must have" upgrade for HD-25 owners, or would I be better off putting the cash towards a new pair of headphones or an amp?

- Specifically, would you be able to help suggest some high-end headphone that would suit my musical tastes and electronic drumming requirements as listed above? I will continue to look through the forums, but any pointers in the right direction are sure helpful! So far, I've only for the HD650/600 on my short list.
Are there any CLOSED earphones that are considered "high-end" while still providing good isolation? Or are the open headphones generally much better sounding?

If you're planning to keep the HD-25, then the cable upgrade is worth it. I upgraded mine with the OFC cable of the HD 25-13's. While I didn't find it as big as a difference as most say, I do find them more pleasant overal. For me, it helped to clean up the highs, removing some of the sibbliance sensitivity.

There are some closed headphones that are considered high-end, and for your specific wants and needs (bass, drumming), the Beyerdynamic DT 770-80 is probably the one. You'll probably need an amp with those cans tho. Just read up on them on this forum, you might find them ideal for your needs.

Open headphones often offer a more balanced sound, with better soundstage (except for the Grados) and a more refined sound than closed headphones at similar prices. For example, the HD 25's you and I own are no match for the HD 595's in any of those respects, while both are in the same price class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back