Advice Requested: Notebook Solutions coupled with HD 595
Oct 7, 2006 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonathanvaljean

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! This is my first post here at Head-Fi. I have found this site to be
wonderful, offering both a great sense of community and a plethora of
information.

About a month ago, I purchased my first high-end headphones, the Sennheiser model HD 595. From the first time I put them on, I was completely blown by both the sound quality and the level of comfort. I realize, however, that with a little effort (and money!), I can further enhance my experience. My source until now has been the cheap soundcard that is built in to my new HP notebook computer. As a newbie, I first thought I would buy a Creative Extigy, but, after reading the negative comments about all things Creative, I realize that this is not the best way to go. My top three choices at this point are:

1) Total Bithead ($200)
2) M-Audio Audiophile USB ($140)
3) M-Audio Transit-->Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC-->Amp (???)

Could some of you experts please advise me as to which solution would be
best? Another question: does the M-Audio transit somehow get around the "loss" of quality that USB devices are known for? Many people seem to think that the source is outstanding, despite its USB connector...

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 14
Don't forget the Echo Indigo DJ/IO (http://www.echoaudio.com/)
It's a nice, compact PCMCIA "DAC" with a built in headphone amp. Plenty of good reviews on this forum and on the net. I personally have one and I love it!

Sorry for the brief post, I gtg...
[size=x-large]
OH! and WELCOME TO HEAD-FI: Where all wallets run dry!
[/size]

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 14
For a desktop, I'm going the Chaintech card > Entech 203.2 > amp route.

However, for a notebook, the portable all in one combo USB>DAC>amp products make perfect sense.

Total Bithead.
Meier's Porta Corda USB

And, so forth.

The main limitation of these types of products is that they are limited to the 5V power supplied by the USB connector (unless they have provisions for an AC adaptor like the Porta Corda). But, with the HD595's at 50 ohms, that's not a major handicap. You don't need big voltage to drive those headphones, just decent current. So the portable USB amps would have plenty of juice.

That's how I'd go with a notebook. All-in-one USB/DAC/AMP.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Don't forget the Echo Indigo DJ/IO (http://www.echoaudio.com/)
It's a nice, compact PCMCIA "DAC" with a built in headphone amp. Plenty of good reviews on this forum and on the net. I personally have one and I love it!

I have also and its SWEET!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks to everyone for your responses! I have now narrowed down my choices to the Total Bithead and Echo Indigo.

milkpowder and apnk: Looking at your sigs, I see that both of you use a dedicated headphone amp. Do you both use the Echo Indigo DJ and send the signal out from the Line Out? If so, how does that compare to the actual headphone out? Is the headphone out respectable?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 14
The difference is miniscule and not really worth worrying about. The amp in the headphone out appears to be fairly powerful and pretty clean.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanvaljean
Thanks to everyone for your responses! I have now narrowed down my choices to the Total Bithead and Echo Indigo.

milkpowder and apnk: Looking at your sigs, I see that both of you use a dedicated headphone amp. Do you both use the Echo Indigo DJ and send the signal out from the Line Out? If so, how does that compare to the actual headphone out? Is the headphone out respectable?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Beware that not all notebooks support PCMCIA cards. My Dell E1405 doesn't have PCMCIA slot but has Express slot instead. Echo Indigo is a PCMCIA. Consider this before buying.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 14
I would like to send out another round of thanks for your responses.

Milkpowder,

It is great to know that the amped output of the Indigo DJ is nearly as good as the Line Out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Marugesh,

Thanks for the warning. My HP does, in fact, have one, but I am concerned about future transferrral, for it seems that the trend is moving towards the Express Slot.

Soloz2,

Could you please expand on your recommendation? As a complete newbie, I am unfamiliar with those components. Could you tell me about prices and where I can find those components? I would greatly appreciate it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanvaljean
It is great to know that the amped output of the Indigo DJ is nearly as good as the Line Out.
smily_headphones1.gif

My Echo Indigo I/O has output that is significantly greater than the built-in soundcard's Line Out. Very noticable. Your cans determine whether it's enough.

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 14
I would like to thank all of you who responded to my thread. Your guidance is greatly appreciated!

If you would have told me a week ago--even two days ago--that I would be the proud new owner of a Microstack with DPS, I would have called it lunacy. After reading many posts, and continuing to read that one should acquire what he or she can afford due to the irrepressible urge to upgrade, I decided to go with a solution that I should enjoy for years. Surprising even myself, I did just that!
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait for my HD595s to find out with an up close and personal encounter! :
rs1smile.gif
I'm sure that my ears are going to thank me for this decision! My wallet on the other hand... I'm now a believer: Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back