Advice regarding the Asus Xonar Essence One
Jan 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vexx

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm on a quest to replace my internal sound card with a high-quality'ish USB DAC and after doing some research, I decided to buy either the Essence ONE or the Essence STU. As I've read, from an audiphile point of view, the 2 cards are similar in sound (having the same chipset and all) and since the STU is hard to find for some uknown reason, I've decided to buy the ONE. However, I have some concerns regarding this DAC, so if any of you guys can help me in these matters, I'll appreciate it. 

First of all, I'm using this DAC for a PC that runs Windows 8.1 and although I've seen Asus has some Win 8 drivers for this card, it seems that it doesn't work for many people (at least what I've read). Secondly, I've heard multiple complaints on different sites that the device bricks itself after a while or gets locked, needing a restart. While I'm a tech savy myself and knowing that not many people (even if they purchase high-end stuff) aren't, I'm not sure if these bugs are still there or have been fixed with firmware updates or the sorts.

Thanks alot! If you guys have any more feedback regarding this card, it would be awesome.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 external DAC/Amp, $255+shipping
Will work with any version of Windows and MAC OS.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 7
  have any idea how's the Essence ONE compared to the Audio-GD DAC? I tried looking on the forums but there's no comparison.

Thanks

The Essence One appears to uses the same class of DAC chip and op-amps as the Essence STX & ST and Phoebus.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 7
  I know, but sadly I have no experience with any of them so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing :)

I was using the Essence STX (with upgrade to 3 AD797BR op-amps ($50)), but now I selling off my STX and just using the 15.32

I really doubt the Essence One or STU offers any noticeable audio quality improvement over the Audio-GD or useful features that you need.
You could even just buy the better sounding NFB-11.32, $340+shipping.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 7
  I was using the Essence STX (with upgrade to 3 AD797BR op-amps ($50)), but now I selling off my STX and just using the 15.32

I really doubt the Essence One or STU offers any noticeable audio quality improvement over the Audio-GD or useful features that you need.
You could even just buy the better sounding NFB-11.32, $340+shipping.

Better sounding ? did you compared a NFB-15.32/11.32 to a STU/Essence one ?

FIY the STX DAC section is not inferior in any way to what is it in the NFB-15.32 that you are using , but the headphone amp is surelly more power full on the A-GD and  A-GD line out is higher .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back