Advice Plz
Oct 25, 2005 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bgzbgz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice from you guys.
I really hate using speakers in my room... so I am looking for a pair of headphones in the 100$ - 200$ price range.
Also I apologize if this was already answered 10000 times but I honestly couldnt find much info from people in my situation.

Some info:
My main reason for buying a set of cans is gaming. I play alot of fps and need to hear which direction sounds are coming from. While playing games I will be wearing these for prolonged periods of time so comfort would be nice too... in other words comfort is a factor but I would rather not sacrifice quality for comfort too much.

Secondly I would REALLY want a pair of headphones that look nice, and that wont break after 3 months of use.

While I will be using these for mostly gaming, my girlfriend listens to music (Hip-Hop/R&B) on my computer alot so this is also a big factor.

I will just be using these at home so noise is not an issue.
I am pretty open to suggestion as far as closed/open headphones are concerned.
I dont have an amp and my soundcard is pretty basic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer me.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Well there are at least a 1000 opinions on your question. And I am sure you will some advice if you search. The search button is your friend!

But i´ed say that the ATH-a500-a900 are sweet for gaming! + they are quite comfy, big as hell though. They are easy to drive, even from a basic soundcard.
But for Hip Hop, I don´t know.

Some say the Sony bla bla (I can never remember all those numbers)

Some say the Beyer DT770/80

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgzbgz
hmm the a900 and DT770 look promising, thanks for the reply!
any more suggsetions?

770 needs amp for full potential, a900 is highly efficient as it is
a900 is very large (cd sized cups), but comfortable - ears may get warm though

extra recommendation: get your girlfriend Sennheiser PX100. about $40, they fold up, are super comfortable, and has somewhat clean sound along with fun bass for her r&b/hip-hop. gaming positioning and soundstage might not compare as well with a500/a900, but you might end up liking them anyways.

Oct 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 9
DT770-80 or K240s are what I use for gaming... The need ample current/voltage reserves though IMHO. I amp with a govibe

Oct 25, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I drive my beyer dt7770-80's well without an amp. BTW they have comfort, large amounts of bass, and looks (light blue velour).

Oct 25, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Personally I'm an AKG K271 fanboy, but I'll admit to not having compared a lot of headphones sonically. I like the sound and the build/fit is first rate.

One of the big factors in which headset to get may your girlfriend's preferences... ie. how big is her head and what does she like to wear.

Some people cannot stand headphones with a lot of clamping force - eg. I think the Senn HD 600/650 is like that. Particularly people with jaw conditions, or prone to headaches.

Some people don't like headphones that sit on their ears (Grado), or don't like the feel of foam.

Others can't stand a closed headphone because of the pressure with respect to their ears, or the fact that your ears get a little warm.

Just make sure to include her in your purchase decision if she is as big a factor as you suggest. Doesn't have to be right away, maybe after you've narrowed the field a little like you are doing. Then just present her with a few options in each category.

Good luck, I hope you find something that makes you both happy.
DT

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Again i would like to thank eveyone for the advice.
At the moment im leaning towards the dt700-80's, even though i dont have an amp i might just end up getting one if absolulty necissary.
Well anyways i found one site that sell these for about 200$, can anyone confirm this site as trustworthy? or offer an alternative? I would like to order them asap!

Here is the link: http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-174334.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back