advice plz: recording cans under $150
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

death from above

New Head-Fier
hey headfiers, thanks for all the good advice already posted here. i'm in need of some decent recording cans. my setup is a samson g-track LDC mic -> laptop...simple as it comes. the g-track is great but i'm sick of using earbuds to record with and i've got the cash to take the next step up.

with a quick visit to the buyers guide i narrowed it down to three i'm interested in:
audio-technica ATH-M50S (the straight cable one)
sennheiser HD280
sony MDR-V6

what i'd prefer:
closed ear, obviously
A STRAIGHT CABLE OUT OF ONE EAR IF POSSIBLE (coiled cables bother me, the sonys have them but if those are recommended above the others i can deal with it)
they need to be durable, since i tend to be abusive with my equipment
and they need to fold up so they don't get smashed in luggage

if you own any of the three let me know how they would work for me. and if you have any alternate suggestions i'd like to hear them. thanks you guys.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 11
The DT48/DT150/AKG 271 is where it's at.. You can probably get any of the 3 I listed 150 or less used..Unless you have issues with used items..Personally, I'd rather have a great sounding, used headphone then a decent sounding new headphone but ymmv.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 11
I haven't used the ATH-M50S but I'd take the MDR-V6 over the HD280 any day. More comfortable and better sounding IMO. Bass can be a bit strong at times (I'm sure you can turn that down to your liking) but they're otherwise very balanced and enjoyable headphones for a heck of a deal ($70ish).

I hardly use my HD280s (test phones perhaps) but I use my MDR-V6 all the time.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 11
I have the ATH M-50's and they are amazing, the sound is clear and detailed and the bass is crisp and clean, they sound great.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT48/DT150/AKG 271 is where it's at.. You can probably get any of the 3 I listed 150 or less used..Unless you have issues with used items..Personally, I'd rather have a great sounding, used headphone then a decent sounding new headphone but ymmv.

I found my Akg K271s for $60 shipped, and I've seen DT48s for under 100. I plan on seeing whether it's worth the praise it's getting.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I can only offer comments on the 280s and the V6s as I own both:

For recording, I would think that the 280s would be better in the sense that they're closed and don't leak as much sound as the V6s, which are also closed but I find they leak audio more than the 280s. I personally do more recreational listening on the V6s than the 280s but that's a different matter. For recording, the best thing to have is a set of cans that don't leak audio to the microphone and for that purpose, I think the 280s work best.

The V6s are awesome though, my 6 year old son stole them from me when he was around 4 to watch movies in the car on the way to school and back and they still work great (doubt the 280s would have lasted a week in his little paws).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back