advice please ?
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 16
Some audio cards have variable headphone outputs, but this one does not appear to have one. You will to run the RCA outputs to an amplifier and connect your headphones to the amplifier. You do have a choice - home stereo amplifier, headphone amplifier, even a preamp with a headphone output.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 16
thanks for the reply, what would be the best option ?

money is not unlimited
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 16
You can use a RCA to female mini adapter but the impedance may be too high for your headphones. So, you can also try the multi-colored breakout cables that come the sound card.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 16
well, lets say i want to be able to use my headphones usually, but occasionally connect some speakers.

would u be able to recommend an amp that would allow me to do that ?

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 16
It has a place for your headphones on the break-out cable. As for an amp, you could use the 2 RCA connectors. Or you could use the breakout cable for your speakers and the RCAs for a headphone amp. What kind of headphones do you have and what kind of budget do you have for the amp?

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 16
i have some grado sr80, which i use mostly for gaming. i would just like to have some speakers and music sometimes as well though.

my budget it limited, im making my pc watercooled, so all my cash is tied up in that project.

so, just something that will sound decent but on the 200 usd area i suppose.

what about running the rca's to a little amp, which i could run headphones or speakers off of ?

any ideas ?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 16
You will need to run the headphone amp from one output and the computer speakers from another. Take a look at the little-dot amps. They make one called the Little Dot I+, it is a hybrid amp with a solid state output and will work well with your low impedance Grados. You can do some tube rolling or even experiment with opamps if you like.

www.little-tube.com

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Like I said, I would go hybrid or Solid State, Grados wont do well with a standard tube amp.
LD Mk III(All Tube)
[size=small]Power Output:
350 mW @ 300/600 ohms
300 mW @ 120 ohms
100 mW @ 32 ohm
[/size]
s

LD I+ Hybrid
(Hybrid)
[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]Power Output:
150mW @ 300 ohms
300mW @ 120 ohms
800mW @ 32 ohms

LD Mk V
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
(Solid State)
Power Output:

300 ohms: 187mW

32 ohms: 500mW

[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]
Your Grados are 32 Ohm, see what I mean? Solid State or Hybrid will give you more power at 32 ohms.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #15 of 16
aha yeah i do see what you mean.

however, i was reading some reviews on these little dot things, and i read something like:

tube amp more forigiving for lower bit rate stuff, mkv doesnt sound good with 100ish kb/s mp3 files

this is what i would mostly be listening to i think, and why i though it better to go for a tube one. but if it has less power as u say, perhaps its a mistake.

i know that it is silly to buy a good sound card when listening to mostly lower rate files, but i just wanted the potential to listen to high quality in the system, so if i want to get into audiophihlia in the future, i can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back