Advice please- PC speakers with AMP
Jul 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Marshall969

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I am very new here and need some advice.

I am going to get some new PC speakers. I used to have some Logitech 5.1 which I know aren't really that fantastic in quality anyway.
I have recently moved and now only have room for two stereo speakers.

I am open to either native 3.5mm PC speakers or stereo speakers with an AMP option.

Question 1. What are GOOD native PC speakers (stereo)?

Question 2. If I were to get home theartre speakers what brands would you recommend that are not ridiculously priced. I have considered PSB and JAMO.

Question 3. If I were to get home theartre speakers I would require a power amp. This is where my knowledge is really limited. Considering most of these speakers are rated 70-100watts. What would be a good reasonably priced amp? I do not need anything flash. I want something small that will just drive the two speakers so I can connect to the PC. Recommendations?

Thanks Guys

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 15
For question #2

If possible audition w/e speakers u are keen on and trust your ears rather than someone else's word for it ^^ Budget would be the limiting factor i guess?

For question #3:
T-Amps are small and for nearfield/PC Audio are what peeps use 
tongue_smile.gif
 Personally use a TA2020 based T-Amp but there are peeps who drive floor standers in their living rooms with a beefier TK2050 based T-Amp too

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmm i would not complicate matters for HT/big room audio so on the subject of T-Amps and PC audio (near field) here are some good info/discussions 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/208172-t-amp-what-should-i-choose.html
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1253939809&openflup&4&4#4
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0304-dangerous_decibels.htm

RECOMMENDED LEVELS

To come up with recommended listening times and sound levels, the researchers compared the players' volume levels to the minimum sound level for the risk of hearing damage: 85 dBA. Typically, a person can tolerate about two hours of 91 dBA per day before risking hearing loss.

Just to share my 89dB sensitive Polk speakers are about 1m/3 feet away (same distance away as my LCD monitor) driven by my Lepai TA2020 amp and i have never had to turn the amp all the up ^^ Many suggest getting speakers of at least 86dB sensitivity but peeps run the increasingly  popular 84dB Pioneer BS21s and are pleased as punch 
tongue_smile.gif

Lastly, if you want a simple, low cost start to the world of small T-Amps a Lepai TA2020 is good to go else if u feel u want beefier stuff perhaps the Topping TP-22, Dayton DTA-100A, etc might interest you 

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks again.

The thing I really dont understand is how many watts the amp needs to be to drive the speakers.

Will the 2020 (which is 20 watts) run a 70 watt speaker? On the other hand if I were to put my old 15watt logitech z5500 speaker on it in the meantime until I get a better speaker, would 20 watt amp blow them?

Cheers :)

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Thanks again.

The thing I really dont understand is how many watts the amp needs to be to drive the speakers.

Will the 2020 (which is 20 watts) run a 70 watt speaker? On the other hand if I were to put my old 15watt logitech z5500 speaker on it in the meantime until I get a better speaker, would 20 watt amp blow them?

Cheers :)

Yes it should run the 70 watt speakers with no problem providing they are resonably sensitive which most of that power rating would be.. Usually the minimum power recomended would be in the 5-10 watt range. I would not however expect the 20 T-amp to fill a large room with ear busting sound, only modest level here unless you have speaker with better than 95db/1 watt watt sensitivity. If so then rock on. 20 watts would be sufficient for small to medium rooms with speaker of average or better sensitivity. Average being 88db/1watt. Small rooms you could get away with somewhat lower sensitivity but not much.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 15
Okay so I quite like the Topping TP20 (2020 chip) and the TP22 (2050 chip)

I was looking at some PSB alpha B1 bookshelf speakers where the sensitivity is 89-91 and the nominal impedance is 8ohms.
The recommended power is 10-90 watts.

Would the TP20 be enough? This is rated at 20 WPC however when looking at reviews the speak of 13 watts at 8ohms without maxing out the THD.

Does this mean I only have 3 watts to play with ie putitng out 13 and the system requires 10 watts?

Or the stated required wattage is a minimum 10 watt amp?? Which will drive the system maybe not to its max, but will drive it??

Overall would the Topping TP20 be adequate? Or go the TP22? (apparently worse sound)

Can anyone name some other good stereo speakers no more than a few hundered dollars?

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 15
Oh and also, a few more questions sorry..

What's a DAC? I undertand its a digital to analogue converter. Will I need one for the TP20 to work with a pc?

Under what circumstance do you not need a DAC? I.e when can people use the TP20 directly without one.

In plugging it into the the pc will I just get a red white RCA to single 3.5mm male cord? Will this affect sound quality?

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Oh and also, a few more questions sorry..
What's a DAC? I undertand its a digital to analogue converter. Will I need one for the TP20 to work with a pc?
Under what circumstance do you not need a DAC? I.e when can people use the TP20 directly without one.
In plugging it into the the pc will I just get a red white RCA to single 3.5mm male cord? Will this affect sound quality?

DAC, Digital to Analog Converter
DACs are used in any device where audio is stored and played.
Motherboard come with very low cost DACs.
The Xonar DX or D1 sound card (Used $50) comes with a better DAC then your motherboard's.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Overall would the Topping TP20 be adequate? Or go the TP22? (apparently worse sound)

Can anyone name some other good stereo speakers no more than a few hundered dollars?

As said with nearer listening position typical in PC AUdio the TP20 would be fine and as for say $200 or so you'd be looking at Infinity Primus P162, Energy RC-10 and Polk RTi6 also goes on sale on Egg

Edit: RTi6s $139.99 with promo code/free ship 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290252

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 15
For further clarification, the DAC takes the Digital signal stored in harddrives and whatnot, and Converts it into an Analog signal usable by headphones and speakers. Hope I helped
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Okay so from what I gather I am safe to get the TP20 however it does not come with a DAC and thus would be using my motherboards poor quality DAC or alternately soundcards DAC.
I have a creative X-Fi titanium and a xonar essence XT (however this seems to be having problems lately unfortunately).

Do TV's have built in DACS?
Could I use this system with my telivision or ipod without any extra things?

Would it be a better option to get the TP30 with inbuilt DAC?

Thanks for all of your help guys

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Would it be a better option to get the TP30 with inbuilt DAC?

Thanks for all of your help guys

As an all in one solution, the TP30 may sound likea good idea but whe one analyses it seperately as an amp (TA2024 based) and the DAC (PCM 270X based):
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/8081-topping-tp30-amp-dac.html
http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-express-hm-101/

none of the other PCM270X based DACs really have anything good about their sound. Yes, I’m serious. Texas Instruments really designed this chip for basic audio devices such as USB headphones (more like USB headsets), USB speakers (those tiny PC speakers that run from the USB hub), or LCD monitors that come with a built in USB speakers. On some applications the PCM270X tend to be used mostly for USB receiver functions (though being limited to 16/48 

overpriced for it's performance IMO

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 15
So after more research

The TP20 seems like the way I will go however I really want to know: Sound cards are in essence a DAC, yes? So I dont have to buy an external one unless I seek exceptional quality?

Will this work with an Ipod/TV? I assume they have to have built in DACs for us to hear the sound?

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 15
1. Yes and if you are on a budget external DACs aren't exactly better than PCI/PCIe sound cards either 
tongue_smile.gif

2. Yes but for apple products you may need a LOD kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back