Advice Please: PA2V2 or Xin Supermicro 3?
Feb 10, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jeffreybowman2k

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed search for an amp to PA2V2 and Xin's Supermicro 3. I am using with Ipod 4G and Westone UM-2. I haven't seen a head-to-head comparison of these amps, so any advice on how they compare would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Don't know about Xin's offering but the PA2V2 doesn't work well with the UM2. You don't want to use an amp that enhances the bass on IEM's that are bass oriented to begin with. The Go-Vibe is better but not enough to bother carrying an amp. After much experimenting I just use the UM2/4G iPod with no amp at all. This is *my* experience, YMMV.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Don't know about Xin's offering but the PA2V2 doesn't work well with the UM2. You don't want to use an amp that enhances the bass on IEM's that are bass oriented to begin with. The Go-Vibe is better but not enough to bother carrying an amp. After much experimenting I just use the UM2/4G iPod with no amp at all. This is *my* experience, YMMV.

I'd have to agree with that analysis. If you want more experience w/an iPod/PA2V2/UM2 combo, look up xand1x - tell him omendelovitz sent ya and ask him. The above inventory is his portable setup and he's a very helpful guy.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I notice VERY little difference in sound quality when using UM2 straight out of my ipod nano vs putting the PA2v2 in the way. UM2 is sensitive enough to be used without an amp. Most player's output has enough juice

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 8
I've heard people say that the UM2s don't even sound much better with the Larocco Pocket Reference II. That's a $450+ portable amp!
eek.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman2k
I have narrowed search for an amp to PA2V2 and Xin's Supermicro 3. I am using with Ipod 4G and Westone UM-2. I haven't seen a head-to-head comparison of these amps, so any advice on how they compare would be most appreciated.

um2 and pa2v2 don't match well at all, so between those two the supermicro would likely be better.

Quote:

I've heard people say that the UM2s don't even sound much better with the Larocco Pocket Reference II. That's a $450+ portable amp

My UM2 sounds much better with the SR71.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 8
thx for advice. i have been using UM-2s via the earphone jack on ipod, but i am convinced that SQ would be better from the line out (using a pocket dock). as a result, i will need an amp to control the volume from the line out. sounds like pa2v2 may not be the best match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back