Advice Please... Headphones for classical music
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Lumos

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Folks

I am choosing cans for classical music and need your advices and opinions please :)
 ​
1. I am listening Classical music, little Wax Tailor and some other chill out's sometimes.
2. I can spend only 40-50 $$$ for cans
frown.gif

3. I don't need bass oriented ones, preferring something very natural and neutral without coloration of highs and balanced mids.
4. I know that at these price range I don't have much choice : I did research and found some models,
iGrado
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S 30$ (Good offer and low price also appealing Specifications) 
beyerdynamic DT 235 Headphone
Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones
Audio-technica ath-m30
Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional or HD201
 ​
Which one you recommend?  Can you suggest something other than these models?

P.S. I could not listen them myself before I buy.  (should purchase it from amazon)   open or sealed doesn't matter
PLEASE SHARE SOME ADVICE
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 11
I like your avatar.  I've been a big Vivaldi fan for years.

I don't know the headphones in your price range.

For symphonic music, I think an open backed model would be best for a realistic soundstage.

Good luck!

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 11
superlux hd668b, treble just may be a little too prominent for those who are sensitive to sharp treble though, but since its only classical it should be ok, toning the teble down with an eq would be ok too if needed. another detailed headphone would be the shure srh240. but then if you can get the superlux i highly recommend the superlux hd668b, its one of the best value cans 

overall it sounds like a $100 can with a 50% discount.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Does not matter at all... Better, accurate sound is most important, I mainly would use them at home to listen my Flac or other lossless formats, source is my computer with decent sound card... I prefer little bit closed cans, because of some outside noise but Sound accuracy is greatest preference

Thanks for response    

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Personally I would stay away from the Sennheiser's and the Audio Technica. 
The Panasonics are a good choice but they aren't too portable.  I don't know if that's an issue or not.  They also need a few mods to truly shine (nothing too complicated).  Keep in mind though, they're definitely a bass-heavy phone.
I couldn't give you any advice on the Superlux, but I've heard very good things about them.

concerning the iGrados.  I know you've already stated your price-range, but if I were you, I'd stretch the budget to get the SR60i's.  Better yet, keep your eye on the For Sale forum.  SR60i's pop up on there all the time at around $40-50. 

From my own experience, you'd be best off getting the SR60i's.  Listening to Horowitz with them is...  enlightening.
Soundstage, instrument separation, speed, clarity, detail...  The 60i's are probably the best bang-for-buck you're gonna get.  Especially for classical and downtempo music.  Other than thm, I'd do some more research into the Superlux's.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Personally I would stay away from the Sennheiser's and the Audio Technica. 
The Panasonics are a good choice but they aren't too portable.  I don't know if that's an issue or not.  They also need a few mods to truly shine (nothing too complicated).  Keep in mind though, they're definitely a bass-heavy phone.
I couldn't give you any advice on the Superlux, but I've heard very good things about them.

concerning the iGrados.  I know you've already stated your price-range, but if I were you, I'd stretch the budget to get the SR60i's.  Better yet, keep your eye on the For Sale forum.  SR60i's pop up on there all the time at around $40-50. 

From my own experience, you'd be best off getting the SR60i's.  Listening to Horowitz with them is...  enlightening.
Soundstage, instrument separation, speed, clarity, detail...  The 60i's are probably the best bang-for-buck you're gonna get.  Especially for classical and downtempo music.  Other than thm, I'd do some more research into the Superlux's.

sennheiser's good headphones are generally only the high end ones (like hd5xx and above) the hd202 is very bass heavy and not neutral (it has good bass quality and quantity though)
audio technica low end headphones are worse than senheiser's ones i feel. very wierd tonality and narrow soundstage
the superlux has a better soundstage and a better detail than the sr60i when i heard them at the shop, the midrange of the grado is a little more lively and is more foward but the treble can be a little grainy. superlux has still the best value for money i feel

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
sennheiser's good headphones are generally only the high end ones (like hd5xx and above) the hd202 is very bass heavy and not neutral (it has good bass quality and quantity though)
audio technica low end headphones are worse than senheiser's ones i feel. very wierd tonality and narrow soundstage
the superlux has a better soundstage and a better detail than the sr60i when i heard them at the shop, the midrange of the grado is a little more lively and is more foward but the treble can be a little grainy. superlux has still the best value for money i feel

hmm.  You're making me wish I had the Superlux's :wink: 
Actually, my classical-music headphones are a pair of Sony MDR SA1000's that I picked up for $50 in the FS forums.
The crazy speed and accuracy, along with their freakish levels of detail makes them amazing.  I remember listening to a Beaux Arts Trio album and wondering what this rhythmic hissing in the background was.  Took me a couple minutes to realize it was one of the performers breathing O_o

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you folks for replying, I am eagerly thinking about superlux hd668b, I found some interesting frequency response comparison, and you might get interested too

I predict that superlux bass would be more punchier? but mids would be OK.... take a look of picture

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3301&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=2801

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 11
hmm yean based on my short audition i thought the bass was pretty decent (im a little basshead) and the graphs even say that ths srh240 bass is stingy and non existant. grado's bass is decent too, superlux being slightly punchier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back