Advice Please: Canalphones (Super.Fi 5 Pro?) & Full Size Cans (AGK 240?) Budget=$350
Sep 21, 2005 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bfguilford

New Head-Fier
This is a further clarification of an earlier post (that didn't get much response). Sorry I wasn't more specific the first time around.

I do a fair bit of travelling (trains and planes). I've noticed that I need to crank the volume up on my KSC-75's too high for my own good (and, judging from the looks I'm getting from others around me, for their comfort, too).

I'm also rediscovering a very old love of music and would like to buy some better cans. I need to get a pair of canalphones for travel. I ALSO want to buy full size cans for my home system (driven by my old, faithful Onkyo TX-870 amp). I figure that I'll listen to the canalphones 2-3 times as much as the home rig.

My total budget is in the $300-350 range. Based on other threads here, I'm on the verge of ordering:

- Super.fi 5 Pro's for my unamped iPod (don't want an amp... I already carry way too many things around with me).

- AGK 240's for my home setup (I question whether to go with the M or S, since I'll be using the Onkyo to drive them).

My musical taste is all over the place... I listen to old rock (Stones, etc), blues (Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc), Clapton, Steve Earle, The Band. I listen less often to some folk, country, classical. I don't listen to heavy metal, hiphop, rap, electronic.

Before I order, I would really appreciate input from those who have either of these or who would recommend others that would allow me to get BOTH and stay within my budget.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 9
super.fi 5 pro straight out of the ipod should suit you nicely. They are fun and musical at the expense of a little bit of detail. They have a nice soundstage for an IEM and their bassiness makes them good for noisy commutes or plane rides.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfguilford
- AGK 240's for my home setup (I question whether to go with the M or S, since I'll be using the Onkyo to drive them).

You definitely want the k240s. Despite its low impedance it still really needs to be amped. I can only imagine how hard the other would be to drive
eek.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
super.fi 5 pro straight out of the ipod should suit you nicely. They are fun and musical at the expense of a little bit of detail. They have a nice soundstage for an IEM and their bassiness makes them good for noisy commutes or plane rides.

What he said. My only complaint with the sf5p's is that they don't isolate as well as my E3c's. With the E3c's I can't hear the phone ring on my desk. On the other hand the sf5p's sound "better" (i.e. more bass, bigger soundstage, more musical), are more comfortable and are easier to remove when someone walks into my office. I haven't been on a plane since I bought the sf5p's - I plan to take both IEMs on my next flight to see if I prefer the better isolation of the E3c's or the better sound of the sf5ps.

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
What he said. My only complaint with the sf5p's is that they don't isolate as well as my E3c's. With the E3c's I can't hear the phone ring on my desk. On the other hand the sf5p's sound "better" (i.e. more bass, bigger soundstage, more musical), are more comfortable and are easier to remove when someone walks into my office. I haven't been on a plane since I bought the sf5p's - I plan to take both IEMs on my next flight to see if I prefer the better isolation of the E3c's or the better sound of the sf5ps.

What he said, too.
icon10.gif
I find that my E4's isolate a lot better than the sf5pro. In fact, my wife also noticed sound leakage from the sf5pro. She hears nothing when I wear the E4.

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

- Super.fi 5 Pro's for my unamped iPod (don't want an amp... I already carry way too many things around with me).

The 5 Pro's sound great out of an unamped iPod, IMO. As mentioned above, they're not the most detailed IEM's out there, but score very high on the 'fun' scale.

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for confirming half of my decision. I just placed the order for the Super.fi 5 Pros.

Still waiting for more input on the AKG 204s. I have about $100 left in my budget. Should I be considering other cans or go ahead with the AKGs?

Sep 22, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Thanks for confirming half of my decision. I just placed the order for the Super.fi 5 Pros.

Still waiting for more input on the AKG 204s. I have about $100 left in my budget. Should I be considering other cans or go ahead with the AKGs?

I like my K240s. I socket modded the cloth driver cover and it has opened up the treble and mids to a nice balanced sound... Good projection over a heavy layer of bass tones. Others have said they are a bit thick sounding and lack transients. IMHO this is true to a small extent compared to my MS2, which IMHO is the quickest / most dynamic can under $300, along side the SR225. (Note the MS2 nad SR225 are a bit over your budget).

IMHO you should consider the MS1 as well. Much more forward and dynamic than the K240s, which is a little more relaxed by comparison. if you dont like bright sounding cans, go for the K240s. If you want bright (some would consider piercing) go fro the MS1. The K240s does benefeit from amplification, but then again that would depend on how up to par your receiver output really is. I like the sound straight out of my denon 5.1 receiver headphone jack as well as my millet hybrid.

Scope out your local guitar center or sam ash. They might have a K240 plugged in to demo. They can be found for $80 shipped on ebay. Print up the ebay ad and try to get a price match locally.

Groovin to some live Van Halen as I type this... The K240s excells with live recordings, the soundstage blows any $$$ comparable grado out of the water.

What I would REALLY like to see is an MS2 (or MS1 for that matter) with soundstage thats on par with the K240s.

Garrett

Sep 22, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I like my K240s. I socket modded the cloth driver cover and it has opened up the treble and mids to a nice balanced sound... Good projection over a heavy layer of bass tones. Others have said they are a bit thick sounding and lack transients. IMHO this is true to a small extent compared to my MS2, which IMHO is the quickest / most dynamic can under $300, along side the SR225. (Note the MS2 nad SR225 are a bit over your budget).

Garrett

Garrett:

Thanks for the input. I tried the 240s out at my local Guitar Center and really liked the soundstage, but found that I agree that the mids and highs sound somewhat veiled. I'm wondering how much difference it made when you socket modded the covers. Also wondering how hot you find them during extended listening (I found them a little hot during the 1/2 hour I used them).

They also had me try out a Senn 280 and a Sony (forget which model) and was really unimpressed by both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back