Advice on wooden cups
Nov 12, 2009 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maultar

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've recently bought a pair of sony cd3000s which sound awesome. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on making wooden earcups. More specifically it'd be great if i could get recommendations on different types of wood and strengths and weaknesses. Also if anyone has any experience at all at making custom wood cups i would highly value any advice that you have. To tell the truth i'm a little confused as to how i would even go about shaping the wood.

I've recabled these headphones with SPC from navships and the clarity and definition have taken a huge leap forward. Wondering if wood cups may bring the cd3ks closer to the r10s. If anyone thinks that this is a waste of time and that they have done wood cup mods with no perceivable benefits i would also greatly appreciate any input.

Cheers.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by maultar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I've recently bought a pair of sony cd3000s which sound awesome. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on making wooden earcups. More specifically it'd be great if i could get recommendations on different types of wood and strengths and weaknesses. Also if anyone has any experience at all at making custom wood cups i would highly value any advice that you have. To tell the truth i'm a little confused as to how i would even go about shaping the wood.

I've recabled these headphones with SPC from navships and the clarity and definition have taken a huge leap forward. Wondering if wood cups may bring the cd3ks closer to the r10s. If anyone thinks that this is a waste of time and that they have done wood cup mods with no perceivable benefits i would also greatly appreciate any input.

Cheers.

I have gone this exact route, and have some wood cups made from Siberian Elm, a cousin species of Zelkova, used on the r-10. In fact, I have two sets made, and will post pics tonight. Mine are a bit clunkier than the r-10, and not together yet (another long story), but using different (JVC) drivers.

This is my Christmas project, when I'll have the time to devote to it.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Great! Are you using them with the cd3000k assembly? How are you going to go about mounting them to the frame? I've thought about maybe using a lathe to sculpt the earcups but i've never done that before and need to look into letting a carpenter mate of mine let me use his lathe. Yeah i heard that the zelkova wood belongs in the elm family of wood. I'm looking to actually source some wood locally as importing wood here is quite hard and expensive (I live in Australia). It's actually quite easy to find hardwood here but difficult to find a medium density wood. Hopefully i'll have more of an idea after talking to my carpenter mate.

Looking forward to your pics.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Finally remembered to post...

R9_005.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 5
I think it needs to be said that this is not a beginner project. Al (pabbi1) and I have been woodworking for many years, and the experience is definitely going to be handy. With that said however, if you have the necessary tools (a lathe would be highly preferable) and basic safety knowledge, then go for it. Just get as much help from your mate as possible, and listen to his advice.

I did own a pair of CD3000s with deep wooden cups for some time. I doubt that they will sound like the R10 (I have not heard the R10), but what you do get with a deep wooden cup (about 4") is deep bass. The overall balance was pretty good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back