Advice on which DVD burner to buy
Jul 20, 2004 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the market for a DVD burner that I will use primarily for making copies of home movies. I realize that dual layer burners are starting to come on the market, but I'm not entirely convinced that I need one. 2 hours per side is probably enough. However, if they're not that much more expensive, I would consider one. I want a reliable, compatible burner (definitely +/-R/RW). Price is important as well.

I am interested in a computer burner, not a standalone.

Any recomendations?

Jul 20, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
the NEC 2500A is dual layer, and cheap.

Actually, you need to flash it into a 2510A before it's dual layer, however it is one of the best DVD+/-RW's on the market right now.

Jul 20, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 14
I have a Pioneer DVR-107D (retail version called A07U), which I've found to work very well with DVD-Rs (since Pioneer is the main driving force behind the format), which in turn generally has slightly better compatibility in stand-alone DVD players than DVD+R.

If I had to buy a new DVD+/-RW drive today though, I'd probably go for the Plextor PX-712A/PX-712SA (the SA is the SATA version of the drive) - I'm still taking a "wait and see" attitude towards the DL drives.

~KS

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 14
I've been using a Pioneer 107d for the past month or so and can reccommend it. I'm using the stock firmware (no hacks) and it burns anything I throw at it. I've done dvd films, backed up my xbox games, burnt data discs, and everything plays fine in my cheapo dvd player without a hitch. I use cheap media, as well as the good stuff and it's all fine. The only thing I can say bad about the pioneer is that it only burns CDs at 12x, (or 20, something like that.) as opposed to most other dvd burners which will burn cdrs at 48x. I have a cd burner already, so that's not a problem for me.

Dual layer burners are available, but it's the media that will cost you 10-15 bucks US per disc.

I'd say give it 8 months and you'll be buying a dual layer 32x burner for the same price you're buying any other dvd burner now.

Until then an 8x single layer burner like the NEC or the pioneer 107 will do you just fine.

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 14
I actually just bought the NEC 2510A today and it is awsome. I plan on flashing it with hacked firmware when herrie releases the next version. I recommend you get an NEC, Pioneer, or Plextor, you can't go wrong with any of those, btw I think plextor are the best ones but are also the most expensive.

Jul 20, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Wait!

Wait until a Double Layer (DL) DVD + / - R/RW drive reaches 8X DVD+R (DL) burning speeds and the media is more affordable. The promise of double layer technology is that not only can you burn more than twice as much data (8.5GB per side) but you can use a freeware program like DVD Shrink to specify a DVD9 type disc and rip / burn a DVD-Video in under 10 minutes flat. Single layer DVD burners may be cheap and plentiful but they will be relegated obsolete in short time. That's why manufacturers are slashing prices.

The only problem with Double Layer technology and media is compatibility especially with older DVD players. Once that issue has been hammered out through a series of firmware patches / updates, then Double Layer multi-format DVD burners will become the norm and the workhorse for copying digitally encoded films for quite some time until HD-DVD / SONY Blu-Ray recorders become more affordable. That may be years from today.

So, wait!

Jul 21, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the advice.

I don't anticipate copying movies, so I am not sure if the DL is that big of a deal. They're so cheap now I figure I might as well buy one for under $100 and then if I need to upgrade it won't hurt too badly.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Wait!

Wait until a Double Layer (DL) DVD + / - R/RW drive reaches 8X DVD+R (DL) burning speeds and the media is more affordable. The promise of double layer technology is that not only can you burn more than twice as much data (8.5GB per side) but you can use a freeware program like DVD Shrink to specify a DVD9 type disc and rip / burn a DVD-Video in under 10 minutes flat. Single layer DVD burners may be cheap and plentiful but they will be relegated obsolete in short time. That's why manufacturers are slashing prices.

The only problem with Double Layer technology and media is compatibility especially with older DVD players. Once that issue has been hammered out through a series of firmware patches / updates, then Double Layer multi-format DVD burners will become the norm and the workhorse for copying digitally encoded films for quite some time until HD-DVD / SONY Blu-Ray recorders become more affordable. That may be years from today.

So, wait!

You'll have to wait at least a year before 8x DL media will be affordable.

In the mean time, get a Lite-On.

They are cheap, reliable, and in time, you can flash the firmware for the newer version of the Lite-On that comes out, giving it more functionality.

I have an 812S (that can do 8x +-) and I've recently flashed it with the 832 firmware, and now it can do Dual Layer.

Lite-On drives are known to be upgradeable, through user modded firmwares.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvie1234
You'll have to wait at least a year before 8x DL media will be affordable.

In the mean time, get a Lite-On.

They are cheap, reliable, and in time, you can flash the firmware for the newer version of the Lite-On that comes out, giving it more functionality.

I have an 812S (that can do 8x +-) and I've recently flashed it with the 832 firmware, and now it can do Dual Layer.

Lite-On drives are known to be upgradeable, through user modded firmwares.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm going to work and save up for another Plextor Double Layer 16X32X52X DVD +/- R/RW & RAM along with CD-RW external drive with IEEE1394b / USB2.0. I will patiently wait until the end of next August 2005 until such a product exists.

Jul 22, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 14
acs236: You could also consider the LG GSA-4082B. It represents a good mix of quality, features, speed and operating noise.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back