Advice on upgrading ipod sound
Feb 15, 2005 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jtmorgan61

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, after intensive reading of these forums 2 years ago I bought a pair of Senn HD280's. They sound just great when driven out of my computer and I love 'em. However, the sound definitely suffers when I drive them directly out of my ipod. The bass is completely lacking in punch. The ipod's bass EQ doesn't fix anything, as it makes the sound too muddy to pick out individual notes. To clarify, I'm not a basshead - I just want crisp, clear bass that's balanced and as loud as the other frequencies

I'm at work and can't drive the headphones out of my computer, nor can I get some easier to drive grado sr60's as I need to use closed or in-ear cans. I'm looking to spend $120-140 to upgrade the sound but could probably reach as high as $150-$200 if it would make a big difference.

It seems like my options are:

- go for some shure E3c's or etymotics - but is the bass *that* good?

- get a portable amp for my headphones. Seems like most of the portable amps people like are more in the $250 range, which is just too much. Of course they're probably driving even more demanding headphones.

So, recommendations? Specific portable amps for my price range?

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 13
I haven't heard the HD280s, but I believe that they are not known for their bass response. I guess if I were you I'd look for a different pair of headphones. The e3c will probably have more bass than the etys, but why not also look at other full-sized headphones as well? Some would recommend the Audio-Technica Ax00 or Sennheiser HD25-1. I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250-250 and I find them very smooth and clear with good bass response. I think you'll be able to drive any of the cans listed with an iPod and no amp.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 13
i wouldn't look at the E3c's, as they are muddy in the bass to my ears. the ER-4P's have very good bass from an accuracy and extension perspective, in my opinion well above the Senn 280's in this regard, but the sound is highly dependant on the seal and, imo, your ear canal harmonics. personally, if you are happy with the 280's i think you should just get a line out (pocket dock, sik din, etc) and a portable amp.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
personally, if you are happy with the 280's i think you should just get a line out (pocket dock, sik din, etc) and a portable amp.

I would second this recommendation as something to do first.

If an amp changes the sound enough to make you happy, you're set. If not, the next pair of headphones you want will have an amp to reach their potential.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I third the motion...

Make sure the person you buy the amp from offers a no-questions-asked money back guarantee. Then you can try the amp with your cans, and if it doesn't help, you can just return the amp.

I got a Pocket Dock with Line Out and a Super Mini Moy (Shellbrook offers a money back guarantee) to see if it would improve the sound of my HD-590s out of the iPod. I tried the amp through the headphone out, and there was very little difference. But there was a significant improvement out of the line out, so I kept the Super Mini Moy.

See ya
Steve

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 13
I fourth the motion to upgrade to an amp if you enjoy your 280s (can a person "fourth" a motion?). Anyway, if you want a more portable solution, I can endorse the Ety ER6is. They have more than enough bass response, and it's tight and well reproduced. They're not on the same playing field as my Grados, but I have no complaints. I can't give a meaningful comparison to the E3Cs, but I can say that I much prefer the ER6is to the E2Cs, whose bass was crippled and hollow sounding.

As for spending a boatload on an amp, I dropped a mere $60 on my PocketAmp, and the improvement over the iPod's line out/headphone sound is astonishing.

Happy hunting.

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 13
My pocket amp got here today. Can't really use it with the AC adapter alone like I would prefer since there's a lot of line crackling. With batteries in, though, it sounds great, my audio is back to the drool-inducing clarity I had using the line out from my computer. It was a nice relatively cheap way to fix up the bass sound on the ipod. The sound stage is much improved and the treble is less harsh (which was probably just a result of how loud I was cranking it to be able to hear the bass). Just thought I'd post the update in case anyone else has this problem and wonders if a cheap amp can fix it.

Still haven't executed the burn-in, the bass seems to be getting better and better, can't wait to see what this sounds like some hours from now.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtmorgan61
- get a portable amp for my headphones. Seems like most of the portable amps people like are more in the $250 range, which is just too much. Of course they're probably driving even more demanding headphones.

So, recommendations? Specific portable amps for my price range?

You can get a used Meta42, Pimeta, Mint, etc. for around $100, sometimes as low as $75. CMoy's are around $30-50. So there are plenty of good amps well under $250. Check out the For Sale forums...

Then get a Sik Din or a Sendstation Pocketdock for your iPod and you're set. Way more volume on tap, plenty more power to drive your headphones, better sound....

EDIT: I guess I should read all the posts before responding huh? Glad you got a nice amp for your setup! Congrats!

good luck!

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Just wanted to add that for anyone getting the pocket amp 2, you MUST get the NIMH batteries. You can use it with or without the AC adapter after that. If you use non-rechargables or no batteries there's a faint but definitely annoying crackling/signal noise. Dunno why...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back