Advice on Upgrade Path - weak links in chain Thanks !!
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

12many

100+ Head-Fier

Thanks in advance for any input you provide.  New to headphones but I find the sound clarity fantastic.  As way of background, I own and listen to Sonus Faber Concerto speakers power by a Rotel 2 channel amp and a Denon cd player.  Sounds great for certain music types.  I am not always able to listen to it now due to children sleeping or being in another room so have moved to headphones and am just starting out.  I don’t think there is one set up that is perfect for all types of music. 

Type of Music
As some info, I listen to vocals, (Diana Krall, Allison Krause, Chris Isaak, Melody G, Chris Cornell) but also some southern rock/blues (govt mule, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Cockburn, A. Lister) and a bit of everything else (‘some’ Zepplin, Black Keys, 60/70s music).  No heavy bass rap or classical. 

Source Data
My source files are itunes 256kbps.  I want the ability to go higher res in the future, but that may never happen, so all the source are itunes 256kbps.  This may be the limit in my system now or in the future.

Headphones
My current headphones are HD598.  Seem like a good place to start and are nice in the mid range.  I don’t like overly bright sound signatures and these seem fine to me.  They are lacking to me in the bass area and bass crispness or hit.  I am not a base junky (hate beats) But I feel there is room for improvement on some types of music. 

Source Hardware
I run them directly from an Iphone 6 and am impressed (novices are easily impressed)  with the quality but again probably room for improvement.   Not much low end hit, maybe a bit soft.  Maybe that is the headphones. 

"Movable"
I want my set up to be ‘easily movable’ because I listen in bed, or a chair, or downstairs on the couch or floor, or at a cabin.  I have access to outlets, but some portability is best for me to move around the house. 

Questions – You all have more knowledge and valuable experience than me so any input is greatly appreciated.
1.      1. Is there a weak link in my modest starter system?  For example, even if I bought $500 head phone is there a link in my system that would not allow me to realize a benefit?   If so, what is it?  I have always been suspect of the 256 kbps data in relation to the 1,411 kbps of cd audio.  And the iphone while good is a cell phone . . .

2.      2. Given my current setup, do you think I would realize a benefit moving a DAC/amp and taking the digital out from my iphone.  I am considering the TEAC HA-P50 or maybe something from Fiio or OPPO, so under $300 and portable. 

3.     2.  What do you recommend for my next upgrade with a budget of $500.   I think headphones, but it seems like my entire chain is weak or average, from the source data to the iphone amp. 

Thanks. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Bump.

Sorry if my post was too long.  Most interested in the next step to get better sound or a more agressive sound for certain types of music.  Where is $400 best spent?  Currently have HD598 pair with 256 kbps from iphone 6.    I am thinking another set of headphones but not sure. 

Thanks. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 6
how/where do you use them most?

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 6
If we're talking about $500 budget, I'd say go headphones.  I don't believe in portable rigs, as in hooking them up to your phone and carrying them around.  I'd go maybe Phillips X2 based on what you've said if you want open.  Easy to drive, hits the things you said you want, clear step up from the HD598.

But what you maybe consider is a nice closed setup to pair with your HD598, something to complement it rather than replace it.  Maybe something like the SHURE SRH840.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. I am researching the x2. I listened to the b&w p7 and likes the more aggressive presentation as compared to the hd598. I can not find the x2 in town though. I also don't want to keep upgrading. I prefer to buy once even if it costs more. X2 may be all I need though. Thoughts. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back