Advice on the best closed headphones/amp combo under AUD$1200?
Jun 24, 2016 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CallasFan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade to a better sounding headphone. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD25s, a pair of ATH M-50s, and a pair of Alessandro MS1s. I use a small, cheap headphone amp, an Ordinance .22.

My budget for headphone and portable amp is approx $1200 Australian. I live in Melbourne, which means that some headphones on Amazon are unavailable to me.

I listen to hi rez music on a Fiio X3, mostly when i'm out, so I need closed backs.

I listen to a lot of different genres, but mostly opera, classical and stuff like Radiohead, Beck and Tame Impala. Occasionally metal.

What i would like is something that can provide clarity, detail and a decent soundstage (i know, closed backs aren't best for this). I don't like exaggerated bass.

Any advice would be appreciated. (Like if i'm asking for too much on my budget and specifications lol)

Also, i'm wondering what the sound leakage is like on semi-open backed headphones (like some of  the Beyerdynamics).

Cheers,
John

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 4
You should check out the Oppo PM-3--it could work for you. It doesn't require an amp but I just want to clarify that the amp you are seeking would be portable rather than desktop (?).

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Indeed i am looking for a portable amp. 
I've been reading up on some options and the Oppo's are a contender. 
Do planar magnetic headphones actually sound "better" than normally driven headphones?

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 4
  Indeed i am looking for a portable amp. 
I've been reading up on some options and the Oppo's are a contender. 
Do planar magnetic headphones actually sound "better" than normally driven headphones?

You know, the planar magnetics are a bit of a personal thing. They have a unique sound that some people prefer and others do not. If you can listen to one before you buy, that would be helpful. I own the HE-400S (also a planar) and it is fast and detailed and has high-quality (not quantity) bass. I love it, but it is open, where the PM-3 is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back