Advice on some headphones for the gf
Nov 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Foxtrot01

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
First post here.
I was hoping I could get some advice on some headphones for my gf.
She was telling me about the beats but after reading I think they are better brands and headphones and not as overpriced.
Things she is looking for on these headphones are:
Music; she likes dance, dub step, hip hop, rap and country.
Noise canceling: she would like some kinda of noise canceling she wants these headphones for when she travels and when she is at home.
Durability: she is quite rough with electronics so it has to be a sturdy well constructed headphones.
Comfortable: she would like them to be comfortable and look nice.

I know it's a wish list but that is the ideal for her.
Budget is up to $250 but would like to stay around $200.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Get her the Beats - I think you will pay for more than the headphones, otherwise.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 9
+1 on ws99

has no noise canceling but are you sure you want a noise canceling?
to add noise canceling it sacrifices some quality in sound.

or the m50 (the phone every1 seems to recommend here for beginners[well liked for a reason])
very durable. and seal very well and of course no noise canceling.
inferior to the ws99 but still good.
some complain about the clamping force.
i own an m50 but i prefer my ad700 over the m50.
but despite my preference, the m50 is more beginner friendly can because it has more bass than ad700.
i'm a sucker for soundstage.
most people are drawn to the sound of bass anyways.

but the ws99 beats the m50s for only being a little more pricey.
the ws99 beats the m50 in almost everything besides durability and cable quality.
the ws99 build seems perfectly fine, its just that the m50 are very rugged.
m50s only break if you break them on purpose or getting them caught in a severely bad accident.

incase you running really low on budget get the ws77
ws77 are the ws99's little brother.

ws99 are around $200
ws77 around $110
m50 are on sale from some dealers like soundprofessionals for 110 if you use the promotional code.
normally they go for $150

since it seems like you treasure her alot. might as well get her the best you willing to pay.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 9
I was considering the senheisser 598 for her since I read great reviews on it and the quality is very good on the sound and on the build but being an open headphone I also read that there is no passive noise canceling and whatever she is listening to will spill to people around her. How does the M50, W99 compare to the sennheiser 598?

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 9
I was considering the senheisser 598 for her since I read great reviews on it and the quality is very good on the sound and on the build but being an open headphone I also read that there is no passive noise canceling and whatever she is listening to will spill to people around her. How does the M50, W99 compare to the sennheiser 598?

hd598 are open cans like all open cans they will leak sound whenever music plays. even on low volumes.
usually open back headphones will perform better than closed back for the same price. but most open back suffer from the same problem, which is lack of bass.
i say for those genres ws99 and m50 or ws77 are the way to go.
hd598 despite not that high in impendence they still need an amp. the power from a smart phone or ipod isnt gonna provide it enough juice.
since your considering the hd598 that means portability isnt an issue, right?

if portability isnt an issue then take a good at the a900x

otherwise ws99, ws77 or m50
or maybe not the m50 since they are pretty harsh on bright sounding tracks at times.

another portable option would be the esw9a. the most forgiving phone out there for horribly mastered and recorded music like 95% of the stuff out there people listen to.
and the esw9a is a very luxurious looking pair of phones.

im not an audio technica fan or anything but audio technica has some nice choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back