advice on selling Ety 4p
Jun 30, 2002 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

powerdog

New Head-Fier
I have a practically new pair of Ety 4p, used a few hours. I personally don't like the way they feel in my ears, tho I know they sound great. So I'm thinking about selling, but I have a few questions:
1. Is the Gear for Sale area of this board the best place to sell them?
2. If so, how do people usually sell things here without anyone getting burned? Does the seller wait for $$ to arrive, or does the buyer wait for the item before sending $$?
3. Any idea what a like-new pair of 4p, with box and the usual extras, should sell for?

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 6
1) Yes. Here, HeadWize, Audiogon, maybe even Audio Asylum. Then, of course there is E-Bay.

2) It typically works that the $$ is sent first, and the product sent upon receipt. But that is usually worked out between buyer/seller. It would hurt for you to contact your potential buyer via telephone either. If someone wants to buy something from you they should not have any reservations about exchanging phone numbers.

3) Search the Gear For Sale forum and take a look at what they have been going for.

Also, the Buyer/Seller feedback forum is there to help as well. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 6
here is another idea...

i liked the way the S model sounded but they just didn't fit my ear. it seemed my ear canal was too small and it just plain hurt.

tyll had the custom ear gels for his (looked like a professional monitor thingie) you get them custom made.

if you like the sound and didn't mind spending more, you could get custom made gels (similar to the jabbar cellular thingies if you've seen them)

i know it might seem dumb to spend more money (that you can't recap if you still don't like them) but it's an option...

i love my senn-600's but i feel dumb hauling around the senn-600's and my traveler bag...

i just bought a cosmic and traveler and i'm sorely tempted to call them tomorrow and add a set of the "s" headphones as i'm sure they would work out the price so it was the same as the bundle.

matthew

Jul 1, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 6
the more posts a person has the better , some of the guys here have 1000's of posts .
I have only seen 1 story of a problem here and i dont know if that sorted out.. Ebay would not be as safe as here IMO

Jul 1, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorta different than what you were asking about, but still related.

I know there are some folks that just can't stand to have something INSIDE their ear. If you're one of those people, disrgard the rest of this note and continue with your inquiries. But if you're just having discomfort, there might be other options than selling the cans (which will probably be at a financial loss to you).

There are two different size ear tips and two different style ear tips for the Etys. Maybe you would have good comfort with the appropriate style and size ear tip.

Many folks here have tried the standard white flanged eartip that comes with the phones and complained of discomfort. That tip is the larger of the two that are available. Might be an issue of just getting the smaller tips (can order them from the Etymotic website). Other folks have had luck just switching to the foamies that come with the ER4. There are also two sizes of foamies for those that have large ear canals. The smaller size foamies are included with the cans, the larger size you can order from the Etymotic website.

Good luck!

Bruce

Jul 3, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Along the thoughts of the previous reply, you might just want to try getting use to them. You say you've only clocked a few hours of use. When I first got the Etys they caused me a lot of pain. I have small ear canals or something. After about two weeks of being stubborn about it (and taking them gingerly out after one or two hours -- it really hurt,) I got used to them. Now I can wear them all day without even a bit of discomfort. Whether it is because I got used to them, or the rubber flanges adjusted to my canals, I'm not sure. I'll find out when these get old and I have to replace them. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, moral of the story. I'm glad I stuck with it, because they are the ultimate headphone for portability, to say the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back