Advice on Portable Headphone, either closed or iem
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tucker16

New Head-Fier
I'm new, and I apologize for starting yet another "this or that" thread. I've had a pair of lightweight bose closed headphones for years. The pads have disintegrated and I'm researching my first serious look into quality headphones. They would need to excel without an amp, as they will be used while walking around the city, taking public transportation to work and while traveling in airports/planes.

The source will be my 1yr old ipod classic. I primarily listen to indie (the "Dark was the Night" soundtrack is a good sampling of the music I like), with some folk and even less electronica mixed in.

After researching various websites and reviews, and digging through the archives of this forum (great wealth of information btw), I've got a not-so-narrow set of options. I would appreciate thoughts on these based on my specific criteria, thoughts on other possibilities, and recommendations in general for a beginning audiophile. $400 is my limit, but would like to go cheaper. SQ would be top priority, followed by durability/longevity, followed by comfort.

(comparatively) cheap, semi-portable closed: ATH-M50, Shure 440

more expensive, portable closed: HD25-1 II

top of the line IEM: IE8, UM3x
(I've never had an IEM before, so a little hesitant but it sounds as though they are better in sound quality than comparable closed headphones)

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 3
After some further research and thinking, I ruled out any actual headphones and went with an IEM. I want these for mobility, and figure I should invest properly in true headphones at a future time.

It came down to the RE0 with an amp or the CK10. Both appeared to have similar qualities, and are well reviewed. In the end, I went with the CK10. I liked the reviewers emphasis on durability and comments about comfort. Now I wait anxiously for it to arrive.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Good. Glad we could help. Hope you enjoy them.
smily_headphones1.gif

</sarcasm>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back