Advice on Portable DAC/Amp for Spotify 320kbps > Mac/iDevice > Shure 1540
Dec 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

burghb

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I was wondering anyone could give me some advice on a portable DAC/amp selection.  There are plenty of good product reviews out there to help me, but in general there's many variables in the overall performance of a setup, and it's hard to find advice on my own particular equipment combination, personal use cases, and priorities.  I was hoping I could get a little bit of input from others who have use cases similar to my own (which, in a nutshell, leans towards the consumer-side relative to some of the true audiophiles on this forum, but also coming from an engineering background with an appreciation and knowledge of embedded electronics engineering, and a picky yet untrained ear for sound quality).

My personal use case details are as follows:

1) Need something that pairs nicely with Shure 1540 closed over-ears (46 ohm).  These phones should have fairly low power needs given the pretty low Z and closed design, but have been reviewed as having a signature on the warm side, which is something to keep in mind for amp selection I guess.

2) My primary audio sources are Spotify (320kbps), lossy mp3s, and potentially the new Tidal service (1411kbps), but NOT hi-def audio files at this time.  It's a nice-to-have if the DAC supports the higher-end sample rates and formats, so that I can grow into a more hi-def library over time, but the highest-end of sample rates and formats are not a primary concern for me.  Besides, even if I had the hi-def audio library, I don't think my amateur ear will benefit from much more than 24/96, which is covered by pretty much every DAC out there.

3) My usage is about 75% desktop, 25% mobile, as I work a desk job during the day, but I do plan on using this setup on the go, so the DAC/amp combo must be compact enough that I can stack it with my phone and carry it around with me.  I use a Macbook Pro and the Spotify client as my desktop source.

4) iPhone 6 (iOS8) compatibility as the mobile source.  The lightning-to-USB adapter is fine, but I'd prefer not having to add in a USB hub/splitter and battery just to meet the iOS < 100mA draw requirement.  I would deal with the inconvenience/clunkiness, of the spitter/battery, though, if there was a product that is otherwise a clear winner over the rest.  A self-powered DAC/amp is not a requirement, as long as the draw from the iPhone is low enough to be supported.

5) < $400

Current products I am considering:

a) JDS Labs C5D
b) Geek Out 450
c) HRT Microstreamer
d) open to other suggestions

Thanks in advance for any help/advice the community can provide!

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you looked at the AK10/Beyer amp DAC? A neat solution for Iphone users.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 4
You could just get a FiiO X3 ($170) digital audio player.
You can connect it to your Mac (desktop or laptop) with USB and use it as a DAC/amp
or disconnect it from your Mac and use it as a portable music player.
Leave your iPhone in your pocket unless you need to make a call.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the comments.

KT66, I have looked at that unit.  Pretty cool design.  Do you know how it stacks up to the others as far as performance?  Am I splitting hairs in this price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back