Advice on Over the ear headphone
Apr 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rasmioche

Head-Fier
Hey guys

I'm looking for a new pair of over the ears as my v700dj broke again.

So... as i'm used to vmoda m80, v700dj and xb500 I will say that i am looking for a quality headphone.

There is no intention in sacrificing sound quality, i want to stay on the same level or get a step higher.

I'm quite happy with all my 3 cans (audio quality), as for comfort hand down xb500.

What i've got in my list are

-beyer custom one pro
-beyer dt770 32-80 ohm
-monster beats studion (last version, i saw the review of hifiguy guy)

and... nothing else, so i'm waiting for your advice ! :)

Desing isn't that important to me (see xb500), audio quality is. Also comfort is crucial and a good isolation is always appreciated, wether it's an active isolation or not it's not important. Sound leakeage i just don't care.

Budget i can go as high as 300-350 euro, i guess that would be 415-480 usd... but since in europe prices are higher that us let's stick with euro and possibly with cans available on the european market.

i'll use the cans mostly on the go, so mp3 player (ipod) or iphone.

I try to get always the best mp3 320kbps or other formats compatible with apple.

Possibly cans that can work good without needing an amp, even if a little one as fiio e11 etc

Thanks for your help

Cheers !

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 23
Hi and thanks for the reply

well, i see a huge difference in the prices of the listed cans (and the ones i listed)

So i would like to ask pro/cons for every one, so i can choose the best bang for the buck.

no sony-sennheiser ?

ah also, i forgot to mention : portability is not a big issue, unless they weight 2 pounds :D

even a long cable is not an issue if there are better cans than the ones listed. It would be a lot better to have a short cable, not like v700dj but it's not crucial and if i have to choose between calbe length and quality i'll stick with quality and figure a way to enjoy them on the go.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 23
Sennheiser momentums are great headphones as well. They have a very lush, warm sound. Although, the bass is a little bloomy and the vocals can seem a little recessed. Comfort can be an issue for extended listening as they sit on your ear. They are very easy to listen to though.

I also have the NAD Viso HP50. They are the superior headphone to the Momentums in my opinion. They are much clearer and bass isn't as bloomy (not a whole lot of bass, but they are capable). Also, you will get a slightly warm sound coming from these. Comfort wise, some people complain about the headband because it sits at a point on the top of your head. For me, comfort isn't an issue as I find that the headphones are generally pretty comfortable (I don't have a pointy head). The cord isn't too long either.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 23
If you don't care about sound leakage and don't care if you can hear your environment, look into the Philips X1. These are open headphones, which means bigger expansive, more immersive soundstage. Here is a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks a lot guys, i'm reading the reviews right now.

In the mean time, what would you say about the PSB M4U 1 ?

I read some good reviews, but can't be sure how they compare to let's say vmoda M80, NAD Viso HP50, akg 550 and bower P7 ?

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 23
Theres also the polk audio ultrafocus 8000
If you are looking at noise canceling headphones, this should help
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 23
Thanks a lot guys, i'm reading the reviews right now.

In the mean time, what would you say about the PSB M4U 1 ?

I read some good reviews, but can't be sure how they compare to let's say vmoda M80, NAD Viso HP50, akg 550 and bower P7 ?

I think this review would be helpful. It compares the top closed headphones on the market. It includes the PSB's the Viso HP50's and more.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Thanks again for your replies !

So it's for sure that the PSB m4u is a high end headphone.

I also read that the m4u1 should be slighlty better than the reviewed model in the comparison because of the noise cancelling feature that is absent. Is that true that cans with active noise cancelling have a "worst" audio quality than their non noise-cancelling counterparts ?

I think that for now the PSB is on the top of my list as i can get it for a very good price compared to the others

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 23
Well with some headphones, noise cancelling messes with the sound and makes everything worse. The noise cancelling parts also take up a lot of money in manufacturing. In a lot of cases, the non noise cancellers in the same price range sound better. That innerfidelity link i posted explains it.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 23
I don't think noise canceling are the worst sounding headphones, but since they emit a white noise, it can, to the most particular, interfere with the music. I personally think the NAD's are the best for the price. But of course, its up to you.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 23
Yes i just finished reading your link. For me noise cancelling is not a must have as i never stay for too long in a very loud environement, plus i like to hear what's happening around me.

Good isolation is ok, noise cancelling not an issue if missing.

I'm very curious about the PSB m4u1 VS m4u 2 actually, and/or m4u 1 vs b&o h6 to actually know if the missing noise cancelling and newer version has an improved sound quality that may put it at the same level with the b&o h6 in the comparative ranking but i can't find any comparison unfortunately.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Yes i just finished reading your link. For me noise cancelling is not a must have as i never stay for too long in a very loud environement, plus i like to hear what's happening around me.

Good isolation is ok, noise cancelling not an issue if missing.

I'm very curious about the PSB m4u1 VS m4u 2 actually, and/or m4u 1 vs b&o h6 to actually know if the missing noise cancelling and newer version has an improved sound quality that may put it at the same level with the b&o h6 in the comparative ranking but i can't find any comparison unfortunately.

If you want a lot of isolation, there is the beyerdynamic dt150. The problem is that they need an amp and they are huge. A fiio e11 should do the trick. There is also the topping nx1 but i cant find any reviews.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 23
Beyerdynamic dt 150
http://www.head-fi.org/t/265251/beyerdynamic-dt-150-bloody-brilliant

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyer-dynamic-dt-150-compact-closed-headphone-250-ohms/reviews

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=390796889274

Users who are viewing this thread

Back