Advice on Next Audio Purchase?
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NiGHTSfan

New Head-Fier
I'm running a custom-built PC with a Musiland Monitor 02US/HD555s with the foam taken out. I'm looking to make the next step in improving my audio setup. I've heard I need a tube amp, and I was looking at the Hifiman EF2A, but there are other amps in the same price range that look just as good; any suggestions? Also, I'm pretty set on the HD650s being my next headphones, but I don't know that that needs to be my next purchase; I'm a college student so money is a bit tight. ALSO, I was thinking about getting the Xonar Essence, since their sound quality is supposed to be similar, and I'd like to clear up space on my desk from the Musiland. Would that be a worthwhile purchase if I can sell the Musliand, or should I just stick with what I've got? Thanks!!

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 12
If you're looking for a sound card, try to get something that is isolated from the internals of your computer. Too much noise there. If you are going to buy a new pair of cans, my personal philosophy is to get the absolute best a company has to offer, or at least get something similar. Why buy an intermediate step and then the top level one when you can just go straight to the top with a bit of patience and savings?

You definately want an amp of some sort, but theres more to it than just looking at amps and their specs/reviews. You'll need to do tons of research on the performance of different tubes and different circuits. Definately go Tube amp and not solid state/mosfet because tube amps are supposed to sound way better. I cant vouch for this because i only just discovered that sound quality can get better than bose on-ears and logitech z5500's, so I'm still reeling from the shock of that :p

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
You definately want an amp of some sort, but theres more to it than just looking at amps and their specs/reviews.
Definately go Tube amp and not solid state/mosfet because tube amps are supposed to sound way better.

I'd be careful about making broad statements like that. There are no definites in high end audio. It is all purely subjective. As for the OP's original question, my personal philosophy is to spend the most amount of my budget on the speakers, headphones, etc as they are the device(s) that are ultimately making the sound. Again, that's my philosophy. The next person who posts will tell you something completely different.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 12
I should clarify. With my limited knowledge I gave my best opinion, but it is just that: Opinion.There is nothing but what ive read behind my suggestions.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 12
So, stick with the Musiland I guess? I could afford the HD800s, but I don't really want to spend that much money on a pair of headphones...so I think the 650's would be the best choice. I'll have to do a lot of research on amps, then...

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 12
You should go to the store and have a listen to each pair. I found somewhat of a loophole in best buy's practices in which you can buy something, try it, and return it all within the store. Or within 30 days, however you want really. Its a pain and they hate you for it but screw best buy and what they think. I'd say go for the HD800's and make that your final audio purchase rather than spending 200 on one set, then another 200 a couple years later, and another 300 later. But thats just me. The 650's are also supposed to be really nice, just not quite like motorboating the virgin mary as the HD800's are supposed to be.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 12
Sounds like a good plan. You already have money invested in the Musiland so you might as well keep it. I suspect you'd have to invest quite a bit more in Dac/Source/amplification to hear much of a difference. On the other hand you will probably hear an immediate difference between the HD555's and the HD800's (or 650's) with your current gear. When considering upgrades I always work from the outside toward the center. Source and speaker upgrades come first then dac and amplification.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 12
thats how i've worked mine out. I am working with a standard on board laptop sound card, but I got the audioengine A5's, upgrade from the z5500's. I also ditched my bose OE and upgraded to monster turbine. They were 50 bucks from the seller, and I just wanted to make certain that there is a higher level than the bose. I was skeptical at first but after hearing the monster's and knowing that people dont find them to be anywhre close to the best on the market, I know that my next purchase of headphones will be all out. Furthermore I am trying to get the parts/cost list for Gamma 1 and then Gamma 2 by AMB so I can build those. That will let me forgo needing a sound card in my future PC unless I choose to go for a 5 or 7.1 speaker system with blu ray for some reason. That wont happen because its far too easy to just stream/download the movie, or to pay 5-8 bucks and watch it in theaters.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Sounds like a mighty fine start into this crazy world. I have been out of the hobby for quite and just getting back in myself. Starting out with headphones as a 'cheap'  means of testing the waters.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, I think I'm going to see how low I can find the HD800s for, and if I can't find them for around $1000, I'm just going with the HD650s...I agree that it's better to just go straight for the best, but I don't have the means to afford or justify a $1500 pair of headphones in college. At least not right now. I've been planning to go tubes on the amp, so that's not a big deal. Any personal preferences on amps in the $200-300 range? I know that's painfully cheap for this kind of thing....

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm sorry to say I haven't listened to enough headphone gear to make any educated recommendations. All I can recommend is you listen to as much stuff as you possibly can and be patient. $1K is not a small purchase so you want to get it right the first time. I got into hi fi stuff when I was 23. I went to every audio store I could find in TX and listened to everything I could from sensibly priced systems to no compromise $150K+ systems. It was a blast to go out and talk to people and learn everything I could. In the end I bought a system I was completely happy with after about 1.5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back