Advice on new set of pc headphones
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jesusfr3ak4evr

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I have about $200 max to spend on a pair of headphones, and if necessary an amp (I know, would have to be a cheap amp).

I've already put around 15 hours worth of research into this purchase, and currently the top contenders are the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s and the Sennheiser HD 595s. I'll prolly buy used on head-fi's for sale/trade for the lowest possible price I can find.
smily_headphones1.gif

I plan to use the headphones exclusively on my computer for gaming, music, and movies/anime. I play Counterstrike: Source primarily and listen to all kinds of music from metal to rap to classical.

My current pair of headphones is the Sennheiser HD 212 Pros. I've never used a really high-end headphone, though I've tried some at LAN parties.

As you may have noticed, I'm leaning toward the A900s and HD 595s because they both have low impedance at 40 Ohms and 50 Ohms, respectively. There is no need for an amp with those headphones.

Currently, the A900s seem better to me because, well, the A900s look better on paper with 5-40,000 Hz vs the 595's 12-38,500 Hz. They also have lower input impedance. Price-wise they might be a bit more expensive, however.

I'm the newbie here (compared to you guys!), so what would the head-fi community recommend to me?

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr
Alright, I have about $200 max to spend on a pair of headphones, and if necessary an amp (I know, would have to be a cheap amp).

I've already put around 15 hours worth of research into this purchase, and currently the top contenders are the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s and the Sennheiser HD 595s. I'll prolly buy used on head-fi's for sale/trade for the lowest possible price I can find.
smily_headphones1.gif

I plan to use the headphones exclusively on my computer for gaming, music, and movies/anime. I play Counterstrike: Source primarily and listen to all kinds of music from metal to rap to classical.

My current pair of headphones is the Sennheiser HD 212 Pros. I've never used a really high-end headphone, though I've tried some at LAN parties.

As you may have noticed, I'm leaning toward the A900s and HD 595s because they both have low impedance at 40 Ohms and 50 Ohms, respectively. There is no need for an amp with those headphones.

Currently, the A900s seem better to me because, well, the A900s look better on paper with 5-40,000 Hz vs the 595's 12-38,500 Hz. They also have lower input impedance. Price-wise they might be a bit more expensive, however.

I'm the newbie here (compared to you guys!), so what would the head-fi community recommend to me?

A series boomy bass and expansive sound stage are a perfect match for gaming. Also the high efficency of them means that they'll be driven properly by a sound card without the need for an amp.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 5
try and raise your budget a smidgeon and get the DT770/32

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2
try and raise your budget a smidgeon and get the DT770/32

Can't really do that as those require an amp.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr
Can't really do that as those require an amp.

I think the /32 meant look into the 32ohm version.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Should be drivable like an A series AT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back