Advice on my first set of full-size cans- HD 650's
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bubblyjock

New Head-Fier
I will start this out by saying I have been lurking the forum for a couple weeks now and just recently signed up.  I have a few good sounding headphones as of now but had wanted a pair of full size.  I currently have mostly Sennheiser (HD 25-1 II, IE 8) so for Christmas my wife is getting me some HD 650's.  I know it is time to invest in a properly sized amp (I had been running the headphones straight from the back of my soundcard (Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty).  I am asking for advice on a mid/upper range desktop amp in the $300-500 range.  Also any advice on must have's or mod's I should look into for the 650's would be appreciated too.  I have learned a great deal so far about what being an audiophile is all about.  Thanks in advance!

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 3
If it were me, I'd just invest in a JDSLab O2 amp. The measurements are great, the reviews at Head-Fi have been pretty sparkling, 

If you're skeptical of that, the Matrix Mini-i AMP+DAC and Schiit amps I've heard good things about in that price range. 

Quote:
I will start this out by saying I have been lurking the forum for a couple weeks now and just recently signed up.  I have a few good sounding headphones as of now but had wanted a pair of full size.  I currently have mostly Sennheiser (HD 25-1 II, IE 8) so for Christmas my wife is getting me some HD 650's.  I know it is time to invest in a properly sized amp (I had been running the headphones straight from the back of my soundcard (Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty).  I am asking for advice on a mid/upper range desktop amp in the $300-500 range.  Also any advice on must have's or mod's I should look into for the 650's would be appreciated too.  I have learned a great deal so far about what being an audiophile is all about.  Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back