Advice on my current audio setup for desktop PC use and possible upgrade route (economical options preferable of course)
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

haiu2323

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first thread so go easy on me please!

Currently I listen to most of my music through my computer. The diagram below might help you visualize my setup:

PC/sound card (Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD) --> Schiit SYS (RCA inputs 1) --> LSR305s/Klipsch K100-SW (out SYS's RCA outputs via RCA Y-splitters)
Denon CD player --> Schiit SYS (RCA inputs 2) --> LSR305s/Klipsch K100-SW (out SYS's RCA outputs via RCA Y-splitters)
(Switched via front push button on the SYS) Sys really is a neat little preamp. Passive, 2 ins/1 out, but can be reversed to 2 outs/1 in.

PC (USB port) --> Schiit Modi --> Schiit Magni --> Headphones (AKG K7xx, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, Hifiman He-400i, Grado SR60e, Monoprice 8323)

As of right now, when I want to switch to headphones from the speakers, I have to change the playback devices (via 3rd party software), turn on the Magni and then plug the headphones in. I want to do the switch physically just by pressing the button on the SYS going forward. Therefore, I plan to get rid of the Modi/Magni stack, grab a Magni 2 or an Asgard 2 if budget allows. CD player can then go through optical out from the sound card.

A very convoluted setup I have here, I know. Anyone seeing a possible issue with this setup?

I tend to have my computer on almost 24/7 (utilities-included rent FTW!). Sometimes I restart every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes I go for months without rebooting the system.

Sporadic audio issues I have with current setup:

1. After a while, all of a sudden, the audio will produce crackling noise and continue that way (only a very few times it reverts back to normal again). Changing bit depth/sampling rate in audio option for the sound card always solves this problem. Is it because I have my computer on constantly and the sound card just craps out?

2. After I acquired the JBL LSR305s, from time to time, I would hear these random jitters/stutters in sound coming from the speakers. So far I haven't been able to narrow it down to what might have caused it. I was thinking perhaps the y-splitters splitting the signal from the SYS to the speakers and sub might be of poor quality. Any ideas?

Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

Thank you all.
Hai

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 3
That crackling noise might be produced by your soundcard, there are some known issues with it e.g. http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=24669

In my opinion PC soundcard might not be optimal DAC, especially as some PSU's are quite noisy (EMI). I would prefer sound signal from pc via usb or hdmi to separate dac/pre-amp and then to loudspeakers or headphone. Hopefully people with more knowledge can confirm this.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the link to Creative's support article.

1. Regarding the crackling noise: the support article seems to focus more on crackling sound when gpu under load (in-game, OCed etc.). I do have an OC profile for my 970 but only apply it in-game. For daily use, I use the stock profile (+0 voltage offset, 110% TDP, +0 offset both core and memory clock). I watch TV show streams, Youtube video content which I don't think are that gpu-intensive. What's weird is by just changing the bit depth/sampling rate that helps solve the crackling sound.

2. Regarding sound card as DAC: this is what I'm afraid to hear. Deep down I would still prefer a dedicated external DAC. However, knowing that the Titanium HD is equipped with the TI Burr-Brown PCM1792A chip which is quite decent and has worked quite well for me over the year, i think keeping it will save me a lot of dough from upgrading. But separating the DAC from the motherboard circuitry and perhaps providing more than just usb-power to it sound very tempting.

Will do a little bit more digging.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back